Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medical insurance whilst in canada

• 29-07-2012 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭

just wondering who anybody whose is in canada at the moment got there medical insurance with? irish companies wont take you on if your already here and the one i looked at global knowmads is a bit pricey,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

OHIP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

beano345 wrote: »
    just wondering who anybody whose is in canada at the moment got there medical insurance with? irish companies wont take you on if your already here and the one i looked at global knowmads is a bit pricey,

If you've been in Canada for less than 30 days you can get coverage at Ontario Blue Cross, just google it - or try the different Canadian banks - cibc, scotiabank, royal bank, TD.

You should get it asap though - one short emergency room visit for a simple - but necessary - matter can cost $500 CDN, as it's a public healthcare system. You should also look to see - once you've been here for 3 months, if you've any rights to the public health insurance system in the province you're living in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

its just that i got pulled down in niagra by immigration for not having it, they wont accept ohip either, i eventualy went with a company called safe visit who covered me for the year for $380

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Niamh84

anyone find any better deals for buying insurance for your second year IEC? Its really expensive. I only paid around 350 euro for two people with backpackers travel insurance last year. Now Im pricing world nomads at 450 euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dunphyh

Niamh84 wrote: »
    anyone find any better deals for buying insurance for your second year IEC? Its really expensive. I only paid around 350 euro for two people with backpackers travel insurance last year. Now Im pricing world nomads at 450 euro each.

Hi Niamh
    My brother just went to US border to activate his 2nd IEC last weekend. He was in same situation and reluctant to pay the high cost for another years insurance. He is also covered by the MSP for basic and emergency health cover in BC Canada. In the end he contacted USIT by phone and bought another 6 months on his original policy, (cost about 200 euros). Even though alot of people on this forum said they had been granted their work permit without being asked for proof of medical insurance - it is a bit of a risk and he was not willing to chance it. In the end , he was NOT asked for it and got his 2nd work permit after about 15 minutes wait.
    The actual wording in the letter of Introduction doesn't specifically state how much health cover is required - it reads:
    'In some provinces or territories, students and foreign workers are not elligible for public health insurance. You must ensure that you and any dependents have adequate health-care insurance or financial resources to cover possible contingencies. Further information is available from the ministry of health of the province or territory in which you intend to study or work.'
    Perhaps if proof of funds is 'adequate' or they are satisfied that your income is enough they do not follow up on checking for health insurance... or else he was just lucky with this particular Immigration officer.
    Anyhow, in the end it's up to you to decide! Good luck!
    H.

• Advertisement
Advertisement