Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do people still have The Stations?

• 29-07-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Curious really. I know they were a big thing years back, are they still on the go?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Load's of 'em and all in HD now too, thanks to a head's up from Uncle Gaybo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

lazygal wrote: »
    Curious really. I know they were a big thing years back, are they still on the go?

I know a lot of power stations have been demolished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Dafuq you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Is that the thing where people have mass in their own house, or something ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I know a lot of power stations have been demolished

Wet turf made 'em go rusty.Made 'lectricity go slow too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Is that the thing where people have mass in their own house, or something ...?

if you are referring to the religious stations in peoples houses then it is still going on in rural Cork anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Vote for your local deflector candidate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The piss station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Not as much now but still going on in some areas, it's a great way to get together with the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The stations of the cross?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I take it you haven't been back to Ireland in 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe you should ask in Christianity forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Still going strong in parts of west Cork. My own local area has a full roster, it takes almost five years for your turn to come up. It's not a very big station area. It's a fantastic way to catch up with neighbours and keeps the community spirit strong in the area. To be honest, I wouldn't be without it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Still going on in Kerry, hosted by hoity-toity hypocrites who see if they can outspend the hoity-toity hypocrite who did the previous one. For some strange reason, I never get an invite to any of them.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Anybody going to explain this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Radio nova,q102,98fm,spin103,102.2

We have them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I had my friend over to my gaff for beers and video games a few years ago. I went to bed about three in the morning but got up about an hour later as I was thirsty; he was still awake on the couch. When I went into the room he was shuffling haphazardly on the couch trying to change the channel. It was on BabeStation. FFS. Is that what this is about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Genuinely no idea what this is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

yes, but it belongs to 'rural' ireland. dubliners have no idea what they are. the chrisitianity forum would be a more apt place unless you want to take the piss and given your other threads I suspect the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Genuinely no idea what this is about.

There is a mass in the house of every person in the parish every couple of months and it's rotated about between the houses. So, each house could have a mass once every 2 or 3 years.

There's lots of food and drink and is more of a social thing than religious. Popular in parts of west cork, and kerry still, but has been dying out for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Fuinseog wrote: »
    yes, but it belongs to 'rural' ireland. dubliners have no idea what they are.

Plenty of stations in Dublin. Train, Luas and DART.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ah jayzis. Are yee all city slickers or what? Even Protestants know what these are.

Parishoners visit each a different house on a given evening according to a rota to pray and eat salad sandwiches. Very popular in Tipperary; gets a paragraph in the local paper and all.

It's basically networking for Roman Catholics as far as I can see. Not a bad idea if religion floats your boat.

its also something of a community event. the notion of inviting the whole neighbourhood to your gaff is alien to urban dwellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah the Stations are still going around here, it's more of a rural thing really, it seems the townies on this forum don't know what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yep, very common in Tipperary

If you open a business you can even ask the PP to bless your new venture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Seems a great idea, good for community relations ? Is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its also something of a community event. the notion of inviting the whole neighbourhood to your gaff is alien to urban dwellers.

Because the whole neighbourhood wouldn't fit in our gaff's. Because we have actual communities up in the shmoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

hondasam wrote: »
    Not as much now but still going on in some areas, it's a great way to get together with the neighbours.

Not as much fun as a key party though. :D

Not as much fun as a key party though. :D

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here. :p
    The stations are always a great night or should I say early morning, they go on into the wee hours here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bambi wrote: »
    Because we have actual communities up in the shmoke

You don't have Tidy Towns though

It's a huge thing out rural, lots getting involved

I've never seen this in Galway or Dublin city
    Ah sure, that's the councils job...

Maybe I'm wrong, does it exist?

realies wrote: »
    Seems a great idea, good for community relations ? Is it ?
    I would imagine that it definitely adds to a sense of social cohesion and community, especially for the older population who may be vulnerable to loneliness & rural isolation.

I'm not a big fan of organized religion, but its in facilities like this and other church activities that religion can offer important benefits to the rural population.
    Bambi wrote: »
    Because the whole neighbourhood wouldn't fit in our gaff's. Because we have actual communities up in the shmoke
    I'm pretty sure I saw the stations on Fair City once; at Charlie's and Mags's house.

Now there's a neighbourhood that could do with some good old fashioned God fearing.

State of that "Decco" rap. That fellow could do with a week in the bog:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The stations of the cross?

Thats what I thought at first! :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

But does anyone apart from older people (60 plus) in rural Ireland really still repect a priest to such an extent that they would welcome one to say mass in their house?:confused:

It seems conservative Catholic Ireland is indeed alive and well in some places - even after 20 years of all the scandals and revelations.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    But does anyone apart from older people (60 plus) in rural Ireland really still repect a priest to such an extent that they would welcome one to say mass in their house?:confused:

It seems conservative Catholic Ireland is indeed alive and well in some places - even after 20 years of all the scandals and revelations.

Not all priests are evil and it's up to everyone to make their own decisions re the catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Red Hand wrote: »
    There is a mass in the house of every person in the parish every couple of months and it's rotated about between the houses. So, each house could have a mass once every 2 or 3 years.

There's lots of food and drink and is more of a social thing than religious. Popular in parts of west cork, and kerry still, but has been dying out for a while.

God....thank fook I'm from Dublin. Yet another reason to be grateful to be a True Blue. :cool:

Edit: I'm only bleedin' messin' wichya! Jeeeeaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not all priests are evil and it's up to everyone to make their own decisions re the catholic church.

I never opined that all priests are evil - indeed there are many, many very good ones including a relative of mine. But I think you'll find that for the majority of Irish adults aged between 18 and 60, the seemingly endless litany of child abuse scandals and cover-ups over the past two decades have reduced trust in clergy to a bare minimum if any at all.

Also - surely there must be a few people even in very conservative rural areas of Ireland that have no interest in having "stations" in their houses - or is it seen as some sort of Valley of the Squinting Windows obligation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Load's of 'em and all in HD now too, thanks to a head's up from Uncle Gaybo.

LOL

If you just listened to just Gaybo, you would be stuck with just the Irish stations I believe.
    Wasn't he pushing the Irish digital TV view system?
    (I could be wrong)
    The international multiview system was not something that was mentioned at all in the leaflets which came through my door.
    It just said to get the Irish version (which would have only far less channels).

Arh, come now. Nothing's that black and white.

I used to know an old neighbour who had no problem with the fact that her daughter was a divorcee, who was a bit of a wild girl herself before she was confined to a wheelchair. She went through the motions of going to church and parish events just for the social life right up until the month she died. She looked forward to the parish priest coming around just for the sake of company, they were great pals. As far as I can gather, they only ever seemed to talked about wine making; she'd get him loaded up on fruit wines while he filled her in on the rural gossip and she sat in her wheelchair applying her make up.

Some people who are not familiar with rural Ireland really have no understanding that the people there often do not view the church with malignancy because despite all of the problems in the hierarchy, they can see the good role that it can enjoy in rural life in spite of the Catholic church's dogmatic, frigid leadership.

They might not even be religious, but then, there's always been more to the churches than religion.

I never opined that all priests are evil - indeed there are many, many very good ones including a relative of mine. But I think you'll find that for the majority of Irish adults aged between 18 and 60, the seemingly endless litany of child abuse scandals and cover-ups over the past two decades have reduced trust in clergy to a bare minimum if any at all.

Also - surely there must be a few people even in very conservative rural areas of Ireland that have no interest in having "stations" in their houses - or is it seen as some sort of Valley of the Squinting Windows obligation?

Most people leave religion out of it and go for the food, the beer and to have a get together with the neighbours.
    It's nothing to do with the church priest or religion imo apart from the fact the priest says mass in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

It's nothing to do with the church priest or religion imo apart from the fact the priest says mass in your house.
    ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

It's a pain in the whole, for months before they take place in the house. You move bedroom room at least seven times while the house is redecorated from top to bottom. Make sure you buy your cold meats from the local shop/butcher if you don't gwad help you, and normally there's a pond, garden feature, garden room, massive extension or an eco friendly heating system to tour for at least an hour. tanks de jesus :)

Zab wrote: »
    ha ha

Your contribution is noted.

someone has to say mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

i asked the very same question awhile back when our house was having our third station in west cork.
    [URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?

p=78363720"]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78363720[/URL]

Although the purpose of this is too bless the house, this is done in 20-30 minutes followed by having a meal with all your neighbours and then a few beers and listening to old stories about the parish.

It was actually a lovely evening. Non-Catholics were invited too and got to chat and get to know everyone also.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You don't have Tidy Towns though

It's a huge thing out rural, lots getting involved

I've never seen this in Galway or Dublin city
    Ah sure, that's the councils job...

Maybe I'm wrong, does it exist?

you do not see it that much in Galway city (rural Ireland for Dubliners). families in the city with a country background will do it though. its usually once a generation.

Advertisement