Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket/miniature beagle info

• 29-07-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

My fiancé is looking at getting a pocket beagle. I've read up about them on dogbreedinfo and had a quick search on the Internet for them. I'm just looking for some more info on them (won't be deciding on which dog suits us for a year or so yet). There seems to be very few for sale and this worries me. Does anyone know of any problems with these dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Problemo number one; they don't exist!! There is no such thing as a 'pocket beagle', please do not be suckered in by the puppy farmers fancy titles to make their dogs sound more appealing. There really and truly is NO SUCH THING as a pocket beagle anymore. The real pocket beagle is long extinct, now we have people attempting to recreate it by breeding runts to runts regardless of quality and ending up with very ill dogs at the end of it. These dogs have serious genetic flaws thanks to puppy farmers wanting to make a quick buck on smaller dogs to sell to the unwitting masses. If you want a beagle, get a beagle. But please, do not be conned by these 'titles'. And if you mention 'pocket beagles' to any responsible breeders, they'll probably hang up the phone on you. Anyone who breeds these dogs is far from a responsible breeder and only out for your money. They also try crossbreeding in smaller breeds to make this so-called 'pocket dog' which of course adds in even more genetic problems.

The major issues in these dogs are:
    • Hypoglycemia - a fast drop in blood sugar which can be fatal
    • Organs that do not develop properly - This can cause everything from heart failure to liver problems
    • Tooth disease
    • Diabetes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Rommie wrote: »
    Problemo number one; they don't exist!! There is no such thing as a 'pocket beagle', please do not be suckered in by the puppy farmers fancy titles to make their dogs sound more appealing. There really and truly is NO SUCH THING as a pocket beagle anymore. The real pocket beagle is long extinct, now we have people attempting to recreate it by breeding runts to runts regardless of quality and ending up with very ill dogs at the end of it. These dogs have serious genetic flaws thanks to puppy farmers wanting to make a quick buck on smaller dogs to sell to the unwitting masses. If you want a beagle, get a beagle. But please, do not be conned by these 'titles'. And if you mention 'pocket beagles' to any responsible breeders, they'll probably hang up the phone on you. Anyone who breeds these dogs is far from a responsible breeder and only out for your money.

The major issues in these dogs are:
    • Hypoglycemia - a fast drop in blood sugar which can be fatal
    • Organs that do not develop properly - This can cause everything from heart failure to liver problems
    • Tooth disease
    • Diabetes

Thanks, this is exactly what I thought. I've been trying to convince her to get a regular beagle instead

Advertisement