Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cv and cover letter

• 29-07-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Quick question. Who do you address your cover letter to when applying for a post. Have an ad here on educationposts and the school address is FAO: secretary, board of management then the address. In my cover letters to other schools I usually find out the principals name and put it in. Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Quick question. Who do you address your cover letter to when applying for a post. Have an ad here on educationposts and the school address is FAO: secretary, board of management then the address. In my cover letters to other schools I usually find out the principals name and put it in. Is this correct?

the secretary is usually, but not always, the principal. if you are concerned about this just give the school a quick shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Do what the ad says.

Nothing worse than people who cant follow simple instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Agreed with last post.

Post says FAO: secretary, board of management

so

FAO:
    Secretary,
    BOM
    SCHOOL
    ADDRESS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Great thanks! Sent off some applications there. Would principals an deputy principals be back in school by now? Hoping to call into a few around my area!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many will be, but they are busy.
    Best chance (I think) would be from about 12 on the LC results day. Most of the kids will have been and gone by that stage.

• Advertisement

Also when the application says copy of degrees, diplomas what do you send in? I assume your final year transcripts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I literally put in a copy of my parchments! I was a little gobsmacked by the some of the requirements this year to be honest. I had never seen ad at second level requesting a passport picture and degree etc. I thought teaching council registration would suffice, as they have our parchments. I am prepared to jump through hoops in the hope of getting better hours though!

Yeah I saw an ad requesting a passport photo...what is that about! They will be asking for our facebook logins next. I just finished my dip this year so don't have my parchment yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I hate when people apply to jobs i put on web or papers and they don't follow the simple instruction. If it says write to enda kenny, don't be a smart fool and addreSs it to someone you think is better. One example is ad i put on and one person addressed it to bom and got upset when they heard nothing, of course only then did bom chair open his monthly mail! If you can't follow instructions, then in my view it is a bad start as a perspective employee. Also remember the deputy might be doing the job hunting and its such a kick to then if you address it to the principal.

Yeah I saw an ad requesting a passport photo...what is that about! They will be asking for our facebook logins next. I just finished my dip this year so don't have my parchment yet.
    Its because when you go for interview, then its easier to remember who each person is. And facebook, that already well researched and people do seriously need to cop on if they think internet is not public access and give bad impression

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    Its because when you go for interview, then its easier to remember who each person is. And facebook, that already well researched and people do seriously need to cop on if they think internet is not public access and give bad impression

I know I have made sure my Facebook is strictly private. Driver would you accept final year transcripts for 'copy of degree, diploma etc'? Also is there any difference in sending stuff in by email rather than post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

That makes sense. I am not entirely convinced that asking for transcripts and copies of degrees etc is fully necessary for the initial application process. I know it makes screening easier but it is hugely expensive. I have been covering career breaks and doing part-time hours for a number of years and am willing to play the game but it is frustrating to send reams of information in the hope of getting an interview. I thought the Teaching Council could release your results if potential employers wanted to check that your CV is legit. It just seems that there are more bitty hour contracts and the hoops to jump through are getting higher and higher as the years go on.

I know I have made sure my Facebook is strictly private. Driver would you accept final year transcripts for 'copy of degree, diploma etc'? Also is there any difference in sending stuff in by email rather than post?

do what is asked. I hate people posting me things when I say email only. Always always only do what is asked.

vamos! wrote: »
    That makes sense. I am not entirely convinced that asking for transcripts and copies of degrees etc is fully necessary for the initial application process. I know it makes screening easier but it is hugely expensive. I have been covering career breaks and doing part-time hours for a number of years and am willing to play the game but it is frustrating to send reams of information in the hope of getting an interview. I thought the Teaching Council could release your results if potential employers wanted to check that your CV is legit. It just seems that there are more bitty hour contracts and the hoops to jump through are getting higher and higher as the years go on.

depends on school but I never ask for transcripts unless its a FTC. Tc number is all I require and some ppl give me the runaround about that.
    tc can't release your info to us, data protection.

spurious wrote: »
    Many will be, but they are busy.
    Best chance (I think) would be from about 12 on the LC results day. Most of the kids will have been and gone by that stage.

I work from home once hols are over and schoolwork needs doing because of people constantly calling with CVS. Post/email them?

do what is asked. I hate people posting me things when I say email only. Always always only do what is asked.

I understand making sure to do what the ad says. Some ads are very poorly written and sometimes confusing. For example an ad asking for a letter of application, cv, copy of degrees, teaching council reg and a standard application form. It gives no info about the form and where to download it and if I do get it it is just the same info in my cover letter and cv anyways. I think some ads can give a little more information.

I understand making sure to do what the ad says. Some ads are very poorly written and sometimes confusing. For example an ad asking for a letter of application, cv, copy of degrees, teaching council reg and a standard application form. It gives no info about the form and where to download it and if I do get it it is just the same info in my cover letter and cv anyways. I think some ads can give a little more information.

I appreciate your point and I am sure its true. Other side is some applicant's can't apply properly e.g. Cover letter with wrong school name, wrong job, wrong info, not even reading correctly written ads, list is endless and could be a comedy show.

Seems like both sides find the process sometimes frustrating!:) Anyways like everyone else we'l just keep trying!

Does anyone know an easy way to get scan your parchments onto a computer? My parchment is too big for my own scanner and the ad want want applications through email only. Would any stores scan it onto a USB for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I took a digital photo of mine and sent that. People seemed happy enough with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Bobsammy wrote: »
    I took a digital photo of mine and sent that. People seemed happy enough with it.

I always send a photocopy of my transcripts cos its impossible to scan or photocopy the parchment.. Never taught of taking a picture but I imagine schools would prefer to see transcripts rather than a copy of a parchment thats written in latin.. why do some schools only ask for the degree parchment? makes no sense to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I've never understood why they want it either - I would think the transcript would be sufficient! Still always best to do as the ad says I reckon!

I don't even know what my parchment says in Latin. Surely a transcript which proves your grade would be better but as above I'm sticking to what the ad says.

Also what kind of envelope do you send your cv's in? Do you fold into a small one or use an a4 size one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I don't even know what my parchment says in Latin. Surely a transcript which proves your grade would be better but as above I'm sticking to what the ad says.

Also what kind of envelope do you send your cv's in? Do you fold into a small one or use an a4 size one?

Well unless you fancy a bit of origami i would go with a5 or a4

Advertisement