Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being the only one at the film in the cinema

• 29-07-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Has this ever happened to you? I had this experience a few times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

For about the first 10 minutes of Jaws. Then a couple more people came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The secret garden was the only time, back in 1993.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Happened to me fairly recently. I changed seats half way through because I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Love when that happens. I like to imagine I'm in my "if I won the lotto" house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

branie wrote: »
    Has this ever happened to you? I had this experience a few times

Would these films be of a 'specific genre'? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

loads of times, so far this year i've seen three or four movies when I've been alone, daytime showings during school hours. the one time I didnt like being alone was when I saw The Descent, it really added to it though, was a small enough cinema so already felt a bit claustrophobic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

RichT wrote: »

Subtitled films?:confused::pac:

Yes...i enjoy them when on my own. But when it's me and a couple sitting further down the rows, I feel like a pervert or weirdo.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Red Hand wrote: »
    I feel like a pervert or weirdo.:pac:
    why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The only time it's ever happened was in an afternoon screening of Warrior last year, was a treat because for once I didn't have to wonder whether the person sitting next to me was gonna pull out their phone. Just 100% attention on the movie which is ideal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The closest I've been was about 7 other people in a massive cinema in Chicago. Monday night showing off GI Joe. All the other customers were blokes on their own :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Loads of times. The most recent was A Kiss for Jed in Vue. It was the first showing on opening day - not a good sign.

During my second viewing of TDKR last Monday there was only about 8 people in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Not yet, I keep anticipating it's going to happen but someone eventually walks in. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 i know u know

loads of times, was creepy watching paranormal activity sitting there on my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Yes, once, and they put on the wrong film - some piece of ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Midweek midnight showing of the new Star Trek. Nobody to annoy the **** out of me.

The Hangover? Full of movie audience stereotypes. Transformers 2? Aside from being a michael bay movie that dragged 1 action scene out for 45 minutes and ended the film abruptly 45 seconds after the fact, someone brought their wailing infant to a midnight launch? wtf? And left them in the theatre.

Only time I can say I was honestly better off with an audience was the IMAX midnight release of Avengers, the atmosphere was awesome.

RichT wrote: »
    e_e wrote: »
    why?

Dunno, it just seems weird. A couple cuddling or one having an arm around the other, and then me sitting further back. Like, if the film wasn't playing and it was just the three of us sitting in the dark and someone looked in the door, that would be weird no?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dunno, it just seems weird. A couple cuddling or one having an arm around the other, and then me sitting further back. Like, if the film wasn't playing and it was just the three of us sitting in the dark and someone looked in the door, that would be weird no?:P

Well that's a totally different scenario. I think you are just being a tad paranoid TBH.
    Enjoy the movie. You have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Happened to me when I went to see Inception. I'd had to put off going due to college projects taking up all my time, so when I'd handed those in, it had been almost 2 weeks since the film was first released. Went in on a Tuesday morning and the screen was deserted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Closest was me and 1 other at The Artist, I think, or might have been Shame. I like going to the cinema and seeing it empty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I think the only time it happened where I had the entire cinema to myself was when I went to see Albatross, a recent, low budget British drama with Felicity Jones, Jessica Brown-Findlay and Sebastian Koch.
    There were two others in the cinema for Drop Dead Gorgeous. There was one other person when I saw Kiss of Death (disposable 1995 thriller with Nicolas Cage, David Caruso and Samuel L. Jackson), but the weirdest one was seeing the opening twenty minutes or so of A Clockwork Orange on my own, only to have another guy arrive late and - by accident or design - miss ALL the opening, controversial sequences with the droogs.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Once or twice.

It's great, although I imagine it could be freaky if you were watching something like The Ring or She's All That.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 coulagh

Watched TT Closer to the Edge on my own in Cinema. Great film and didnt feel a bit odd been in there on my own..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Went to see Arthur Christmas in Ballina cinema with the gf a while back. We were the only two there, she tried to convince me she'd booked out the whole cinema for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I went to see The Raid in The Lighthouse at 3 o clock in the afternoon and I was the only one there. First and only time it happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Brought my nephew and niece to see Kung Fu Panda 2 last year in the Drogheda cinema.
    At the weekend, middle of the day and it was only out like a week but we were the only 3 in that screen.
    (personally i think that says more for the cinema and the general attitude towards it, but no matter, thats not the story i'm here to share)

Kids thought it was amazing, being in there all on their own. At one stage my niece (who was about 6) was like "I wonder what it's like to sit at the front."
    So i told her to try it and she did. Then the back row!

Eventually she was sat 2nd from the back sitting sideways in the seat with her legs over the armrest. Afterwards I told them I booked out the whole cinema just so we could enjoy the movie on our own. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

CMpunked wrote: »
    Afterwards I told them I booked out the whole cinema just so we could enjoy the movie on our own. :)

Well played :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

CMpunked wrote: »
    Brought my nephew and niece to see Kung Fu Panda 2 last year in the Drogheda cinema.
    At the weekend, middle of the day and it was only out like a week but we were the only 3 in that screen.
    (personally i think that says more for the cinema and the general attitude towards it, but no matter, thats not the story i'm here to share)

Kids thought it was amazing, being in there all on their own. At one stage my niece (who was about 6) was like "I wonder what it's like to sit at the front."
    So i told her to try it and she did. Then the back row!

Eventually she was sat 2nd from the back sitting sideways in the seat with her legs over the armrest. Afterwards I told them I booked out the whole cinema just so we could enjoy the movie on our own. :)

Similar situation with me and my son on his 3rd birthday. Just me and him together for his birthday and the day began with winning a giant teddy (compared to him) and a giant lollipop filled with more lollipops and ended with us having the whole cinema to ourselves. I was the coolest dad in the world! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

no? do you always leave someplace if there's a couple there and you're by yourself? people think WAY too much about what other people think of them in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Yes, once, and they put on the wrong film - some piece of ****e.

Never managed to have a cinema to myself, but that did happen to me went to see Batman The Dark Knight in Vue Liffey Valley full house trailers come on seemed a bit weird to be watching some of the trailers not exactly trailers of a similar vein film starts you can feel everyone getting settled in then boom the singing it starts WTF its Mamma Mia :pac:, turns out a dsgruntled member of staff switched the names on Mamma Mia and Batman so they had two screenigs watching the wrong film.

Finally get sorted watch trailers again then something goes wrong film stops takes twenty or so mins to sort out over 5 hours before we got out, nearly needed a wheelchair my legs were gone that dead, did recieve a free voucher for the cinema and A lot of apologies from managment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Only happened once to me. It was that Adam Sandler movie "50 first dates" and it was at that pokey little screen upstairs at the Savoy (prob #5 or #6). I'd say the room held probably 100 seats max but when the movie started there was me and one other person sitting about 10 rows away from me. Soon after the movie started the other person just got up and left leaving me with an entire cinema screen to myself for the rest of the movie.

There was one other time I went to "My Cousin Vinny" in UCI Coolock back in the 90's but technically I didn't have the cinema to myself as I was there with a friend.

krudler wrote: »
    no? do you always leave someplace if there's a couple there and you're by yourself? people think WAY too much about what other people think of them in this country.

Ha....well, that exact scenario just happened once. And we were sitting in the dark for a good 5 or 6 minutes before even the ads started. I just thought it weird.:pac:

I didn't leave...in fact I started making grunting noises whilst leering at the couple during the quiet parts of the film.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Love this, has happened to me a few times, most recently for "The Muppets" :)
    Feels great though, as someone said previous here, get to change seats when you want and not deal with strangers making unnecessary noise or playing with their phones :rolleyes: unless of course its a horror movie, then sad as it may sound, it would freak me out a bit being on my own like that :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Happened to me a couple of times. It never really bothered me I never take much notice of the ppl around me in the cinema anyways.

Advertisement