Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate topping that won't shatter

Options
  • 29-07-2012 9:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to basically make a shortbread and top it with chocolate that's completely smooth. I'm going to make a sheet of shortbread, top it, and then cut it. I need chocolate that won't splinter. A ganache would be too soft - it would need to be fairly firm. What's the best way to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I find that if you pour melted chocolate onto a cold biscuit base, ie just out of the fridge, but let it set at room temp it won't become brittle and shatter. It's how I do the chocolate topping for caramel squares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Ganache can be made to three different consistencies: soft, medium, and firm, using a ratio of 2:1, 1:1: and 1:2 cream:chocolate respectively. A firm ganache would work in this instance.

Alternatively, you can make a simple, non-cream based glaze with 140g 70% chocolate, 20g butter, and 20g honey or golden syrup, simply melting everything together until smooth.

But the simplest solution is to just pour the melted chocolate over the shortbread, and score cutting lines into it before it fully sets. This should help prevent chocolate shards when you go and cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

this is what i use on eclairs, it firms up but stays smooth

50g of good chocolate
    25g unsalted butter or margarine, ( i've used salted butter in past and its fine)
    melt both, stirring well,
    leave to cool slightly, it thickens as cools,
    and spread over shortbread

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Here one I tried today, works great,took a longer time for it to set, but set it did and stayed soft enough to cut :)
    200g choclate
    1 tsp of oil, any unflavored one,
    melt chocolate and then add oil, stir well,
    ready to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You could just use a hot knife

• Advertisement
Advertisement