Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm definitely getting better... New song and new mix

Options
  • 29-07-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

http://soundcloud.com/ivanstjohn/art-and-artifice-mix-1

I really like this song. I think the mix is pretty good but as always any input would be very much appreciated. Anything sticking out? How's the balance? How's the bass?

Cheers.

EDIT: Dunno why but there's some sort of mild distortion on the vocals on Soundcloud. It's not on the original wav files... I uploaded it twice and even tried turning down the volume of the track. Pretty annoying.

EDIT 2: After multiple attempts the same thing is happening.

So here's the song on ReverbNation. At least it's not distorting there...

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Vocals seem to be way too far back in the mix to me, but I'm finding it hard to get past the out of tune electrics...they're drawing my attention away from everything else.
    I'd layer up the vocals at the end way more. Wall of vocals time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Thanks Fitz. The intonation on the high e on my guitar is slightly out which is why it's a bit out of tune. I didn't really notice it so much but now you mention it it's starting to bug me. Thanks for that... :p It's a Gretsch with a floating bridge and the previous owner screwed it into place but did it is such a way as the top string can't be intoned properly. Today's job is to fix that... and redo the guitar part.

I like where the vocals sit, they're pretty far up at the beginning and then lowered a db or so at the end, but the higher vocal is compressed a good bit. Could be the guitar is a touch too loud. That being said, I like my drums and bass high up in the mix so it could be an overall balance thang.

Re vocal stacking time. Unfortunately I'm running out of processing power on my computer. I'd love to fatten up the end though. Any suggestions how to do it? I'm thinking maybe an artificial stereo job with a send to a super short delay. But I'd love to hear any better suggestions you may have.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

pinksoir wrote: »
    Re vocal stacking time. Unfortunately I'm running out of processing power on my computer. I'd love to fatten up the end though. Any suggestions how to do it? I'm thinking maybe an artificial stereo job with a send to a super short delay. But I'd love to hear any better suggestions you may have.

Track a heap of takes, at different distances and angles from a stereo pair of mics, send them all to a single bus and group process.

Sounds good. I don't have a stereo pair unfortunately. I know what you mean though, it would give a great sense of space... I suppose I could do the same but with a mono mic. I know it wouldn't get the same spacial thing, but it would at least imply distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

To my ears, you seem to be not singing in your natural vocal register (the falsetto backing vocals are fine) and the track loses a lot of power because of it especially when everything kicks in. Also I think the trumpety synth sound is a bit ugly when it comes in by itself. I think the guitar part at the beginning doesn't seem to have a natural flow to it. But there's some interesting things going on and I'd like to hear how this progresses.

• Advertisement

Cheers.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I'm looking for technical assistance rather than creative assistance. I'm happy with the arrangement and performance (except for that damn out of tune guitar... once again, thanks Fitz! :() and were I to take on board other people's creative suggestions... well, it'd be a song made by committee. I do appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment though and am glad you find the song interesting.

Fitz, you were right, the vox were too low. I turned them up and it makes a huge difference. Cool how something like that can really affect the whole mix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Lots of lip smacking and open mouth noises........I don't like it.

EDIT: Dunno why but there's some sort of mild distortion on the vocals on Soundcloud. It's not on the original wav files... I uploaded it twice and even tried turning down the volume of the track. Pretty annoying.

EDIT 2: After multiple attempts the same thing is happening.

That's a soundcloud thing......a little "helpful" normalization they've thrown it. They really should have a feature that let's you upload "as is" without the messing around.

Cheers.
    I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I'm looking for technical assistance rather than creative assistance.

I'm happy with the arrangement and performance (except for that damn out of tune guitar... once again, thanks Fitz! :() and were I to take on board other people's creative suggestions... well, it'd be a song made by committee.

No, you're neurotic and over defensive. The problem with doing it by yourself, is you become overly emotionally attached to it. Like a woman who has given birth to a very ugly baby.

The technical problems are more things you've done in the arrangement and performance. When it comes in after the break on 2.36 minutes - it should be bursting with power. The falsetto is good - but the whole thing is lacking a bursting power (I'm listening to it again - when the snare kicks in it should come out bursting with power - and it isn't). You're break down is 1.30 minutes long - which is fine for a dance track, and it has lots of great stuff going on but in comparison to the rest of the track in terms of arrangement.

You need to step back. It's a good tune...with lots of great stuff...but you're not doing it justice.

It doesn't sound great, because you are not doing it justice. Not because you need to filter or boost a few frequencies.

And don't give this crap about 'a horse designed by committee'. Did Beatles albums sound like horses designed by committee?..........How about Beatles solo albums?

BY THE WAY - THE OUT OF TUNE GUITAR SOUNDS GREAT, IT GIVES THE TRACK A REAL EARHOOK.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'll bite :)

The Beatles at their creative peak were like two masterful horse designers competing with one another, and each trying to better the last's design. Plus another horse designer living in their shadow but eventually becoming their equal. And a drummer. It also helped that they teamed up with, IMO, the greatest producer the world has known. Their solo albums? Well there's a lot of good stuff there, but they suffer from a lack of that competitiveness. Plus, as a band, they were a unit operating within their own little world, so the 'committee' element didn't come into it, as that would have required them taking on board ideas from outside the unit. Which they didn't.

I hope you've heard The Beach Boys' Smile Sessions. It's magical, and very much an example of one person seeing through his vision uncompromisingly, as most unique and memorable works have been. It's a real shame it didn't get released back then as it was equal to any of the Beatles' records, which obviously were Brian Wilson's own personal competiton. There's many other examples; pretty much any Stevie Wonder record, Jimi Hendrix, Grandaddy, St Vincent, Radiohead, Nirvana, Panda bear...

Art is a personal choice of aesthetics. These days there's less of a chance than ever before to make a living out of music. So, in the end, all there is left is the art. And I think it's paramount that all artists be uncompromising, follow through on their ideas, and not be concerned with others' opinions of their aesthetic choices.

All that verbiosity aside, my response to kunst nugget does read like it's being dismissive. I really didn't intend it that way. If I was more eloquent I could have gotten across what I meant more effeciently. That is to say, I like the synth sound and the way it's big and ignorant and out of nowhere. I also really like the vocal at the end - I was going for a Supertramp mixed with Neil Young type deal and I feel like it's pretty good. So while I acknowledge your concerns, I'm happy with my particular aesthetic choices in those cases. Sorry if I sounded like a douche.

WRT the other stuff, yes I'm neurotic, almost singularly when it comes to music. Probably overly defensive. Definitely overly emotionally detached, which is why I've moved on to something else and will come back to this with some fresh ears in a week or so.

Both yourself and kunst nugget were right in that when the song comes back in it should burst with power. And it doesn't to the degree it should. Fitz gave me good advice on how to get a wall of vocals going, so I'm gonna give that a go. Though, maybe a gated reverb on the snare could help out. There's probably a lot of things that could add to that and I'm all ears for suggestions.

I am not very good at mixing, which is why I posted in the forum. I wanted to get feedback on my mixes and to learn how to build a better mix, create a better balance, and serve the songs as best I can. I've received some good solid advice that has helped a lot and I'm really appreciative of that.

TLDR;

The answer is yes.

I hope you've heard The Beach Boys' Smile Sessions. It's magical, and very much an example of one person seeing through his vision uncompromisingly, as most unique and memorable works have been. It's a real shame it didn't get released back then as it was equal to any of the Beatles' records, which obviously were Brian Wilson's own personal competiton. There's many other examples; pretty much any Stevie Wonder record, Jimi Hendrix, Grandaddy, St Vincent, Radiohead, Nirvana, Panda bear...

In truth nearly all of these groups had producers or there was at least more than one person.

Dance music aside, there have been only very few completely self produced records of note. Things like Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska. It's very difficult to do something, and not have someone to turn to, to simply ask "Does that sound all right to you?".

There is a real problem with self production. There are lots of problems with it - not saying it's a giving that if you have someone else it's better. The more I've got into this, the more I've learned you're ears can play incredible tricks on you - and not just for five minutes, but every time you hear the track and you won't hear it normally unless you get a few months distance.
    Art is a personal choice of aesthetics. These days there's less of a chance than ever before to make a living out of music. So, in the end, all there is left is the art. And I think it's paramount that all artists be uncompromising, follow through on their ideas, and not be concerned with others' opinions of their aesthetic choices.

Yeah, but we're not really talking about art or aesthetic choices here. A large part of music production doesn't have much to do with artistic choices - it's tidying up things. Making them sound clearer etc. A lot of that can be done without changing the aesthetic content or direction. It's add a little here, smudge a little there. Or what needs to be cleaned up, and stripped back.

Like I think you have some interesting drums in there, and there's some good intentional surprises etc.

All that verbiosity aside, my response to kunst nugget does read like it's being dismissive. I really didn't intend it that way. If I was more eloquent I could have gotten across what I meant more effeciently. That is to say, I like the synth sound and the way it's big and ignorant and out of nowhere.

I think it's a good idea....but I think you need a lecture on conceptual art - I'm not about to give it....this minute. Never confuse the idea with the execution. They're too different things. You can retain the idea and execute it differently, while you retain the underlying aesthetic. Back in the day when record companies would pay a producer to produce an inexperienced young band. The producer would work to hang onto the aesthetics - and would just aim to have them well executed.

I think you have some really good ideas. Some are poorly executed. I thought the slightly out of tune guitar had real character. But that was you being a Dufus.
    I also really like the vocal at the end - I was going for a Supertramp mixed with Neil Young type deal and I feel like it's pretty good. So while I acknowledge your concerns, I'm happy with my particular aesthetic choices in those cases. Sorry if I sounded like a douche.

No, you sounded defensive - you were hurt. Like I just called your baby ugly. Don't lie to me, you felt a pang of pain, followed by a rush of anger.

It's actually really hard to get a good opinion on music you're making. A question you should be asking people is "what sounds crap about this?". It's actually very very hard to get a knowledgeable answer - because most people don't know shst.

There's a story about Bjorn Borg, the 80s tennis player. That when he was younger, he could easily get distracted and had a terrible temper. So, his coach paid guys to sit around the court while he was training, shouting things like "yar mudder's a ****** c****" etc. .......This actually worked. He became so focussed they started calling him the machine. You don't have to become a machine, but the emotional distraction is a hump you and everyone else has to get over. .........It really does hold people back.

You can always say no to an aesthetic suggestion, but you do yourself no favours by not having a dialogue on it. You can move an idea around a lot and it still stays the same idea. When it goes too far, you just say no.
    WRT the other stuff, yes I'm neurotic, almost singularly when it comes to music. Probably overly defensive. Definitely overly emotionally detached, which is why I've moved on to something else and will come back to this with some fresh ears in a week or so.

Yes. But the trickery your ears can play on you is incredible. I was listening to some stuff, I'd done over a year ago last night, and it sounded radically different from how I remembered it. The production wasn't up to what I'd like it to be, I'm missing quite a bit, but some of the things I'd done in them, I couldn't believe I had or remembering having done them, or that they sounded the way they did. Getting obsessed with the sound of a snare - and then missing "big as your nose stuff"...or just losing your mind in general.

Getting a good opinion on music is difficult. I've done music, and I am the only person who is going to like it. As simple as that. Things that sound like mistakes have been deliberate. Making music for other people is something else - it's something I'd like to do, but it is really something else.
    Both yourself and kunst nugget were right in that when the song comes back in it should burst with power. And it doesn't to the degree it should. Fitz gave me good advice on how to get a wall of vocals going, so I'm gonna give that a go. Though, maybe a gated reverb on the snare could help out. There's probably a lot of things that could add to that and I'm all ears for suggestions.

I'm hearing the same thing as Fitz. Indistinct tingles and fragments would energise the thing.

Here's a good example of a wall of sound backing vocal - it's indistinct and smudged .......Not suggesting this is how you should sound, but all the ideas are in there. Some of it is just burying and disintegrating piano tinkles under reverb. The lead vocal is actually really thin - but the wall of sound makes it full and fat. And a lot of really great stuff is hidden down in the smudge - it sounds big on first listen - but improves on further listens because there's so much texture going on.

The vocal wall of sound is used on so many recordings you mostly never notice it. It's not meant to be noticed. It's used on nearly everything you hear.

I am not very good at mixing, which is why I posted in the forum. I wanted to get feedback on my mixes and to learn how to build a better mix, create a better balance, and serve the songs as best I can. I've received some good solid advice that has helped a lot and I'm really appreciative of that.

You're doing fine. But I think a trap is, listening to something, and there's something wrong you can't put your finger on, and you automatically assume it's the mix. But the thing is, you can't mix in stuff that isn't already there, that may need to be there.

krd wrote: »
    In truth nearly all of these groups had producers or there was at least more than one person.

Not nearly all. Nirvana definitely had producers, I'm not sure about St. Vincent, but her live show is pretty much the same as the record. Panda Bear is entirely self produced. Likewise Grandaddy. Radiohead's last few have been self produced. A lot of Stevie Wonder's records were self produced. And Hendrix was notoriously bull headed about how his stuff sounded.
    Dance music aside, there have been only very few completely self produced records of note. Things like Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska. It's very difficult to do something, and not have someone to turn to, to simply ask "Does that sound all right to you?".

That ain't true, a **** ton of records of note were self produced. Queen's A Night at The Opera for one. And ones from the artists I listed above. I know you're saying that bands have themselves to bounce ideas off but that's not really the issue. They still work as a self contained unit. Which is the point. That said, you're right that having the opinion of others is important. But it's also important who those people are whose opinion you value.
    There is a real problem with self production. There are lots of problems with it - not saying it's a giving that if you have someone else it's better. The more I've got into this, the more I've learned you're ears can play incredible tricks on you - and not just for five minutes, but every time you hear the track and you won't hear it normally unless you get a few months distance.

Absolutely right.
    Yeah, but we're not really talking about art or aesthetic choices here. A large part of music production doesn't have much to do with artistic choices - it's tidying up things. Making them sound clearer etc. A lot of that can be done without changing the aesthetic content or direction. It's add a little here, smudge a little there. Or what needs to be cleaned up, and stripped back.

Well, engineering has to do with those things. Production is all about aesthetics, and it's up to the engineer to make the ideas work. Obviously some things won't work and will have to be revised. It's a pretty close relationship and the line has been blurred a lot over the recent past. Some engineers are happy to help with arrangement etc, and some just work with what they have to produce the best mix possible.
    Like I think you have some interesting drums in there, and there's some good intentional surprises etc.

Cheers, but they're all programmed on superior drummer! I ain't got mad drum skillz.
    I think it's a good idea....but I think you need a lecture on conceptual art - I'm not about to give it....this minute. Never confuse the idea with the execution. They're too different things. You can retain the idea and execute it differently, while you retain the underlying aesthetic. Back in the day when record companies would pay a producer to produce an inexperienced young band. The producer would work to hang onto the aesthetics - and would just aim to have them well executed.

I'd love a lecture on conceptual art!
    No, you sounded defensive - you were hurt. Like I just called your baby ugly. Don't lie to me, you felt a pang of pain, followed by a rush of anger.

It's very hard to judge intention in writing unless you have context. I didn't feel any of those things. I've been at this a long time. I've released stuff and had good, bad and indifferent reviews. I've been heckled at gigs. I've done creative writing classes where the focus was on intense criticism. I did used to feel hurt in the past but over time I have grown a thicker skin.

I don't really care for mitigating things, I'd rather be up front and honest. If that came off as blunt, well that was my intent. If you read it as me being defensive, that could be you projecting! (see, we can all do a bit of armchair psychology :)) I have absolutely nothing to gain by lying to you.

I really don't think the internet is a good place to try and get help with creative choices, as the cliche goes; opinions are like arseholes... and the internet is full of opinions. I have a number of people I would go to, whose opinions I trust from experience. As I mentioned above, it's important to be selective about whose opinions you listen to.

What I do think the internet is good for is technical assistance, learning, and information. And of course conversations like this one are always good fun.
    It's actually really hard to get a good opinion on music you're making. A question you should be asking people is "what sounds crap about this?". It's actually very very hard to get a knowledgeable answer - because most people don't know shst.

It depends, but mostly that's true.
    There's a story about Bjorn Borg, the 80s tennis player. That when he was younger, he could easily get distracted and had a terrible temper. So, his coach paid guys to sit around the court while he was training, shouting things like "yar mudder's a ****** c****" etc. .......This actually worked. He became so focussed they started calling him the machine. You don't have to become a machine, but the emotional distraction is a hump you and everyone else has to get over. .........It really does hold people back.

That sounds familiar alright.
    You can always say no to an aesthetic suggestion, but you do yourself no favours by not having a dialogue on it. You can move an idea around a lot and it still stays the same idea. When it goes too far, you just say no.

Again, this is true.

I'll respond to the rest tomorrow. All good stuff!

krd wrote: »

Yes. But the trickery your ears can play on you is incredible. I was listening to some stuff, I'd done over a year ago last night, and it sounded radically different from how I remembered it. The production wasn't up to what I'd like it to be, I'm missing quite a bit, but some of the things I'd done in them, I couldn't believe I had or remembering having done them, or that they sounded the way they did. Getting obsessed with the sound of a snare - and then missing "big as your nose stuff"...or just losing your mind in general.

Getting a good opinion on music is difficult. I've done music, and I am the only person who is going to like it. As simple as that. Things that sound like mistakes have been deliberate. Making music for other people is something else - it's something I'd like to do, but it is really something else.

I've had the same experience regarding getting obsessed with stuff.

With regards to making music for you versus for other people, I think it's all the same. Unless you're purposefully contriving music to try and sell to a certain market or mooch off the success of a certain band/sound, most memorable artists make music to suit themselves. It's an entirely selfish thing. If other people like the music then that's even better. Obviously that's not the extent of the story, but like I said, now more than ever before that's the most important aspect. I'm not sure there's any contemporary acts I listen to that have made their music with compromises for an easier sell. They're never gonna get played on FM radio but their gigs get fuller each time they play. This is because the people who really care about music, and not the ones who listen to flavour of the month type stuff, know a good thing when they hear it. In Dublin alone there's literally a couple of gigs a week worth going to. I don't mean <local band>, but international acts. We got to support some amazing acts over the last few years; The Walkmen, M Ward, Richard Swift, Micah P Hinson, John Vanderslice, Rodriguez, Joan As Police Woman, Emmy The Great, Bowerbirds... and loads more I can't remember. Besides maybe The Walkmen and JAPW, none of them are household names really, but the gigs were packed. I have a group of friends who go out to gigs multiple times every week. I can't afford to do that as much as I'd like, but then that's the difference between music lovers and musicians. Music lovers listen to music to escape the mundanity of life, whereas music makers can do that by creating their own.

Long winded as that may be, my point is that there is a ton of really good, and some truly great, music these days. And because to a great extent record companies are out the window, there's far less competition than there used to be. But then there's also far less potential money to be made. If you are good enough and work hard enough you can just about make a living out of music. But in order to do so you certainly don't need to pander to people. The type of people that are going to pay to see you play aren't fools. So make the music you love, that gives you the same feeling you get from listening to the music you love to listen to. If the passion is there, the music is good enough, original enough, and you work hard enough at getting it out there, people will pay attention. Yeah, luck plays a part, but cliché or not, you make your own luck. Or at least create a situation where you can take advantage of the opportunities that come your way.

Also, pretty much no act these days make massive waves with their first couple of records. It's all about perseverance. It's becoming more and more of an older person's game. You gotta find a way to fund your art without relying on your art to make you an income, at the beginning at least. In any other discipline, artists get better and better with age, the idea of talent incrementally bettered and strengthened over a lifetime. Obviously there are the sort of prodigy type artists, but for every Welles there's a Hitchcock, for every TS Eliot there's a Robert Frost, for every Picasso there's a Cezanne. Up until recently, music has been a young person's game. Maybe there's a reason why musicians mostly didn't get better with age and turned into parodies of themselves or their own tribute acts. Maybe it's to do with the fact that they got rich and all the conflict left their lives. And since music has fallen from the upper tiers of the income bracket the people who pursue it have to struggle for years before they even see any type of payback. So as a result we all benefit from a better, stronger culture of music that is borne out of a lifetime dedicated to the art.

Dunno what that has to do with this thread, but how and ever...

I'm hearing the same thing as Fitz. Indistinct tingles and fragments would energise the thing.

Here's a good example of a wall of sound backing vocal - it's indistinct and smudged .......Not suggesting this is how you should sound, but all the ideas are in there. Some of it is just burying and disintegrating piano tinkles under reverb. The lead vocal is actually really thin - but the wall of sound makes it full and fat. And a lot of really great stuff is hidden down in the smudge - it sounds big on first listen - but improves on further listens because there's so much texture going on.

The vocal wall of sound is used on so many recordings you mostly never notice it. It's not meant to be noticed. It's used on nearly everything you hear.

I'm gonna have a look at the ending for sure. The thing is, I'm not an engineer so I'm not au fait with a lot of techniques. Which is why it's a great help to get suggestions on how to improve the technical aspects of songs.

The thing is, I'm doing these recording for a few different reasons. The most important is to work out the arrangements. I'm in the position at the moment where I don't have a band to work with. So I have to play all the stuff myself. In fact, I've always worked this way when it's come to the initial writing stages. Once I have this batch of songs done to a reasonable standard I'm gonna get some people together, rehearse the shit out of them and record the stuff in a proper studio.

The second reason I'm doing these recordings is to learn how to mix better. I'm getting more and more confident in my ability. It's far off, but I'm hoping by the time I have the ten songs done at home I'll be at a standard where I can track the stuff in a studio and mix it at home. But it will depend on how good I am at that stage. It might be I'll have someone else mix.

Thirdly, I want to iron out the kinks in the production side of things. So that means getting the arrangements right. I'd also be up for knocking ideas around with a producer if needs be.

You're right in saying that stuff can't be fixed in the mix if it ain't right going in. That's why tracking stuff like drums, bass, guitars, vocals etc in a good studio with good mics and mic placement, good outboard, and so on will make a world of difference. Also having all the parts played well. I'm a serviceable guitar player, an alright singer and an alright keyboard/synth player. I can programme drums alright but there's no substitute for a good drummer (which is hard to find btw). Bass I can play as if I was playing guitar, ie. not at all like a good bass player. I can sketch out ideas and that's about it.

I wouldn't dream of releasing any of the stuff I'm doing at the moment in these particular incarnations.
    You're doing fine. But I think a trap is, listening to something, and there's something wrong you can't put your finger on, and you automatically assume it's the mix. But the thing is, you can't mix in stuff that isn't already there, that may need to be there.

Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ok, well considering your reply to me seemed to kick off quite the debate I'll chime in one last time. I had merely meant these as suggestions, you were free to do with them what you like. Your reply to me didn't bother me in the slightest, its your song not mine.

Having listened to it again several times. I'll offer what I think are more technical criticisms.
    The guitar is slightly out of tune but also there are slight breaks in the playing at the beginning that make it stutter - like just before the trumpet synth comes in. The trumpet synth could do with take up more space, panning it out left and right. The sweeps are too low in the mix and the first one seems to peak too early - bring them up and maybe high pass if they are effecting the drums and bass. Also, what seems to be missing after the break is some rhythm guitar playing out chords to help beef up the appregiated guitar part. Is that a bell in the background when the song kicks back in? In relation to the snare, if it's a sample why not find a sample with a sharper hit to rather than putting reverb on it and maybe layering it with a clap and leaving the clap off for the roll at the end?

Also, Arthur Baker produced A Night at the Opera with Queen and Nigel Godrich has been credited solely as producer on Radiohead's last two releases.

The sweeps are too low in the mix

No. That's really a matter of taste and consideration. Too high, too low, is kind of subjective. Pulp, on their 90s recordings used to have lots of barely perceptible sweeps. It something that can be really buried - or you can make it really big. It depends on what you're trying to do.

and the first one seems to peak too early

No. I think it's because other cues you're expecting are not in their earlier, so the timing doesn't sound right.

Ok, well considering your reply to me seemed to kick off quite the debate I'll chime in one last time. I had merely meant these as suggestions, you were free to do with them what you like. Your reply to me didn't bother me in the slightest, its your song not mine.

Glad to hear it.
    Having listened to it again several times. I'll offer what I think are more technical criticisms.
    The guitar is slightly out of tune but also there are slight breaks in the playing at the beginning that make it stutter - like just before the trumpet synth comes in.

I know exactly what you mean. It stops the flow a little bit. The one before the synth was a marker so I'd know when to bring the synth in. The guitar could definitely be played better. I guess i just got accustomed to it and was too lazy to re record it.
    The trumpet synth could do with take up more space, panning it out left and right.

I did try that, but I settled on it being panned about 70% L&R and then the stereo group I panned slightly to the right. But it's definitely something to look at.
    The sweeps are too low in the mix and the first one seems to peak too early - bring them up and maybe high pass if they are effecting the drums and bass.

I actually have brought the first sort of ring modulated sweep up a good bit and panned it differently. I didn't really want it to be too obvious in the mix, but to work more as a subliminal type effect as if it's affecting the delay feedback on the guitar. The second one is white noise and again it was meant to be more subliminal and working to just add more body to build up. I'll have a look at high passing though.
    Also, what seems to be missing after the break is some rhythm guitar playing out chords to help beef up the appregiated guitar part.

I tried it but it didn't sound right to me. i know what you mean, it could use something to lock down the mid range a bit.
    Is that a bell in the background when the song kicks back in?

It's a triangle. I put it in the add some high end to the section. Without it it seemed like it lacked something in those frequencies.
    In relation to the snare, if it's a sample why not find a sample with a sharper hit to rather than putting reverb on it and maybe layering it with a clap and leaving the clap off for the roll at the end?

Reverb probably won't work, so yeah I'll see if there's a better snare sound. Layering it with a drum machine snare or clap could be cool though.
    Also, Arthur Baker produced A Night at the Opera with Queen and Nigel Godrich has been credited solely as producer on Radiohead's last two releases.

I stand corrected!

I didn't really want it to be too obvious in the mix, but to work more as a subliminal type effect as if it's affecting the delay feedback on the guitar. The second one is white noise and again it was meant to be more subliminal and working to just add more body to build up. I'll have a look at high passing though.

The sweeps are way too loud to be subliminal. I understand what you mean by subliminal.

I never realised Suede had used so many until years later realising what I was hearing. Real subliminal sweeps just sound like reverb tailing off.

Well, maybe subliminal is the wrong word, but you know what I mean. They're not meant to be super obvious, but more to just reinforce the build.

Well, maybe subliminal is the wrong word, but you know what I mean.

Yes, I know what you mean.
    They're not meant to be super obvious, but more to just reinforce the build.

I know the idea. And ultimately you were heavy handed in applying it.

I woke up this morning....and I had this tune in my head...And I was humming along to it, thinking WTF is this tune......And it was yours.

Let's keep the discussion going.

• Advertisement

Cool. That is good to hear. So long as it's a welcome ear worm and not an annoying one!

Advertisement