Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to sydney in a few weeks

Options
  • 29-07-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

just signed up to the site and looking for some advice.im moving to sydney in 3 weeks, i have accomodation,flights,visa,banks and money all sorted.i know il have to get a tax file number when i get there,the only thing i need to know more about is the medicare card? also i will need travel insurance if you could recommend a good company to use? any help would be great cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

If you are an Irish citizen in a whv you are not entitled to Medicare card.
    You are entitled to attend a public hospital and using your Irish passport receive free medical treatment. You will pay to see a GP. You will pay for prescriptions and if it's a PBS medicine receive it at the general price on production of your passport. Most prescriptions may actually cost less so it might not even apply.
    Don't know about insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are a british citizen with a Northern Ireland passport, then you can apply for a medicare card. Doesn't take long, just need your passport

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

I am from the north but hold an irish passport !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No medicare for you so, unless you can you get a UK one before you go also.

It can be handy to have, but not having medicare means you'll get the levy exemption. So it balances out really.

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ben10afc wrote: »
    I am from the north but hold an irish passport !

Have you currently been living and working in the North for the last couple of years?
    Visitors to Australia

Visitors that are residents of the United Kingdom, the Netherlands,
    Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy, Malta, Belgium, the Republic of Ireland
    and New Zealand† may be eligible under the Reciprocal Health Care
    Agreement.

Visitors from Malta and Italy must be both residents and citizens of
    those countries. They are eligible for a period of six months from their
    date of arrival in Australia.

† Visitors from the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand will not be
    enrolled in Medicare. Reciprocal Health Care Agreements provide
    access as a public patient in a public hospital including outpatient
    services and medicines available on prescription, which are
    subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme for medically
    necessary treatment.

If so bring your National Insurance card and a NHS card, also a few utility bills (mobile phone and maybe bank statements) with your address for at least the last 12 months. Also I recommend you also have a map of NI and don't take NO for an answer.

as I highlighted above it goes on your residency not your nationality.

these threads might be of use

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755654
    http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/health/147670-medicare-uk-resident-but-not-citizen.html

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

• Registered Users Posts: 35 debs1

ben10afc wrote: »
    just signed up to the site and looking for some advice.im moving to sydney in 3 weeks, i have accomodation,flights,visa,banks and money all sorted.i know il have to get a tax file number when i get there,the only thing i need to know more about is the medicare card? also i will need travel insurance if you could recommend a good company to use? any help would be great cheers!

I'm flying over on the 18th August to Sydney as well. I got my travel insurance with multitrip. They were the cheapest I could find and was €139.

debs1 wrote: »
    I'm flying over on the 18th August to Sydney as well. I got my travel insurance with multitrip. They were the cheapest I could find and was €139.

i go on the 15th! thanks il check them out now!

daveyeh wrote: »

whats this about?

• Advertisement
Advertisement