Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWS & Geco ammo in "exotic/wildcat" calibers.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

rowa wrote: »
    I seen a fair few rifles in .257 roberts when the ban was lifted on centrefires over .22 cal, seems to be a nice little round but the .243 etc are probabily as good and easier to get ammo for.

Yeah, the .243 is what killed it, which is a shame. I can't really say why, but I've never had much of a soft spot for the .243, while I think the .257 Roberts is just a classy little thing. Demands a sleek little Mauser sporter. Also demands handloading, really. Load up a 115gr Partition to about 2800-2820 and go whack all the deer you want! I'm hoping to chronograph my own .25-06 soon, but I'd suspect with its 22" barrel it's not doing a whole lot better, and has more recoil and muzzle blast, so a Roberts is something I could really get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I have an old long action remmy adl here that I could rebarrell and the roberts
    would be one choice. Idea was to make a very light stock, my lightweight 2.5-8x36 leupold and a 22" fluted begara barrel. Now that I sold my 243's....
    edi

Tac, just the point I'm making. It also depends on What the manufacturer calls them.
    Like Berger VLD and A-Max hunting bullets classed as target bullets in the UK.
    Upset the applecart somewhat didn't it.
    I think the UK Law does not quite fit in to what is on the market.
    Now you have Geco classing a soft point as a target round.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

tac foley wrote: »
    Berger VLD bullets are categorically NOT used for hunting.

In the UK or worldwide? If the latter I have watched many videos which would contradict you.

....back to the thread...
    not much target ammo around for 243's. Especially something that will
    work in a standard 1/10 twist factory barrels. Something in the region of 80-95gr boat tail.
    edi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir, here in wacky UK, I can actually buy Nosler red-tipped bullets, but not the green tipped bullets. When you find out what the exact difference is, perhaps you'll let me know. Needless to say I don't buy anything except FMJ bullets, as I only shoot paper.

However, as previously stated, it does not matter what the manufacturer calls them, but NO exposed lead soft point expanding ammunition or bullets can be acquired by any person who is NOT authorised to possess them. Berger VLD bullets are categorically NOT used for hunting. The tiny hole at the end of any target bullet is an aerodynamic aid to accuracy, not a part of an expanding or fragmenting intention.

As I mentioned in a previous post, here in UK, as in many other countries, the use of FMJ centre-fire ammuntion on live game is prohibited as it is deemed inhumane. If in doubt, please check the British Deer Society and the BASC guidelines.

BTW, GECO, RWS, Dynamit Nobel, Norma, Rottweil, Brenneke et al do not sell bullets in UK, just factory ammunition.

The following US bullet manufacturers have recently moved into full factory ammunition production - Hornady, Speer, Nosler

The following bullet manufacturers sell bullets in the UK - Nosler, Speer, Hornady, Berger, Lapua, JLK, Sellier & Bellot, Prvi Partizan, and Sierra. No doubt there are others I've left out, but you get the idea.

tac
    Hi Tac,can you elaborate more on your comment about a tiny hole been an aid to accuracy,please :confused:
    Regards ,tomcat .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was on to Jim today about some rings, and he told me he got the first of the new Geco ammo in.

He went for some .223 because it was available quickly, and it was first to come in. The call got cut off so not sure on the rest, but i'll be speaking to him on Saturday, and let you know if he has or is getting other calibers in, and when.

The .223 is 55gr, and he says it's €33 per 50. FMJ. So good for plinking/target, and as cheap as American Eagle. If anyone has shot it i'll see if i can get a review or some pictures of groups.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

a neighbour of mine uses a .257 weatherby magnum
    he finds it very difficult to get ammo

Advertisement