Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish basketball team

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Felexicon wrote: »
    Jesus if we were as good at basketball as we are at cricket we'd be doing grand

If basketball was played by as few countries as cricket, we'd be doing grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

BI have zero political and administrative influence. I'd honestly say they wouldn't even have a blue where to start with a residency permit as most (if not all) foreign players who played for the national team have come to the table having organised their papers themselves. Don't get your hopes up, Basketball is a real minority sport here and way below media radar. To compound this BI are really amateur in pretty much everything they do. Sorry! :(

Have you played college ball? If so what division and school?

Im involved in track cycling now and we dont have an indoor velodrome but yet we have a world champion track cyclist. at the moment its up to the government to agree on velodrome plans. unless youre actively aproaching and making the right political contacts your sport wont develop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I understand that basketball in schools (boys basketball) was always popular. You go through every town, a school yard has basketball hoops and maybe a bit of a outside court and many halls have courts. funny enough, rarely used (yard court) .

I understand that in order for Ireland to improve, ya gotta catch the players really really young and invest in them. Kinda hard seeing you need a central school of excellence with regular training and good coaches. Thats lots of money

Unless you had committed basketball influenced PE teachers or non staff willing to come in, many are lost to soccer, gaa or rugby.

Did BI ever really put the effort to push the game in Ireland eg summer camps etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I understand that basketball in schools (boys basketball) was always popular. You go through every town, a school yard has basketball hoops and maybe a bit of a outside court and many halls have courts. funny enough, rarely used (yard court) .

I understand that in order for Ireland to improve, ya gotta catch the players really really young and invest in them. Kinda hard seeing you need a central school of excellence with regular training and good coaches. Thats lots of money

Unless you had committed basketball influenced PE teachers or non staff willing to come in, many are lost to soccer, gaa or rugby.

Did BI ever really put the effort to push the game in Ireland eg summer camps etc?

in the 90's I dont think so. there were various 3on3 comps but not run by BI. the only options to kids interested in developing their skills was Dungarvan or Gormanstown summer camps. I really liked Dungarvan, very professionally run, lots of good coaches, lots of basketball. only thing I dont recall being discussed was nutrition which is more important today as there are so many supplements out their promising the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

S/O To the Irish league select who beat the British league select for the 2nd year in a row

75 - 66 Delwan Graham the high point man with 21

Advertisement