Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Army 2020 question.

• 29-07-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭

I see in the BA Army 2020 report they say the 1 Royal Irish is being moved to prince of wales regiment. Does that mean it won't be part of 16 Air Assualt anymore and leave its soliders unable to go for their wings if they want?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

They're Not being moved to the prince of wales regiment but to the princes of wales division and yes that means that it won't be in 16 AA brigade, but that doesn't mean much anyway because they're not an airborne unit and never where, despite what somepeople in the regiment seem to believe. You can still do P company, but so can anyone else from any other unit in the army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

They're Not being moved to the prince of wales regiment but to the princes of wales division and yes that means that it won't be in 16 AA brigade, but that doesn't mean much anyway because they're not an airborne unit and never where, despite what somepeople in the regiment seem to believe. You can still do P company, but so can anyone else from any other unit in the army.

I see where your coming from now. I didn't think they were an airborne unit it's just the 16 Air Assualt term kind of threw me off. Apologies for the mix up with wording of regiment and division. Id like to do P company at some stage but will see if I think or the higher authority thinks im good enough to do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Id like to do P company at some stage but will see if I think or the higher authority thinks im good enough to do it :)

Are you already in the British Army?

If not, then 'doing' P Coy might present something in the nature of a problem.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Well spotted Tac. No not in it yet only in the early stage of recruitment but if succesful I would like too do it at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

As far as i know the royal irish rotate with a few other units in and out of 16 air assault brigade so they were due to be rotated out soon in any case.

If being para-qualified is part of your unit operational requirement, then you'll be expected to do P coy. It is not something that you do for a fun activity to get a tick in the box on your military skillset resumé.

So unless you join the relevant bit of the BA, you won't get to do it.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Sure most trades have a para-trained unit relevent to their skills! Infantry, Arty, Medical...

Sure there are biomedical scientists working with 16 CSMR who have their wings!

That is what I wrote. IF your unit is required to jump, then you'll be trained to do it.

If not, then you won't.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Ah yeah, I was just adding that part for the people who think that only certain roles go airbourne. A pointless addendum!

• Advertisement
Advertisement