Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing lawnmower from the states

Options
  • 29-07-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, im considering importing a fairly large ride on mower from Americaa within the next year or two.
    Have been looking at used commertial john deere ztraks such as the z710 with a 48inch deck, there are many such mowers at very attractive prices on tractorhouse.com. So has anyone experience using freight forwarding companies and organising this sort of thing? Im sick of crappy over priced machines in this country and want to get value for money :) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi - Interesting, will you save much money after freight, duties etc?
    I'm trying to get a used mower for a soccer club with no or very little money (Budget is about 1000 approx).
    Very hard to get anything in that small budget.
    We were looking for something 15 to 20 HP, 36 to 48 inch cut that collects grass.
    Best of luck - hope it works out. Please update on progress

Might get done for vrt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

My brother put a small ad in one of the Boston Irish papers, looking for somebody sending home a container, and got a ride-on and a motorbike and odds and ends of furniture home. Worked well for him, not sure what he had to pay though, but I know he saved a lot of money on freighting them himself. Might not be that many coming home these days though. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

problem is, it'd be left hand drive rather than right hand drive...

problem is, it'd be left hand drive rather than right hand drive...

He might be able to change the headlamp lens to a LHD one so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 TheAdammaka

Its well worth it even when paying vat and import duty. The mowers in the usa are as low as 30% of the price they get here. I think you could get it shipped for less than 400 euro so its still a massive saving. Have a look on tractorhouse the amount of high quality mowers is staggering!

Also does anyone have experience with diesel vs petrol engines I know diesel engines last longer and are cheaper to run

urbanledge wrote: »
    He might be able to change the headlamp lens to a LHD one so that shouldn't be a problem.

What ye talking about haha

Happyman42 wrote: »
    My brother put a small ad in one of the Boston Irish papers, looking for somebody sending home a container, and got a ride-on and a motorbike and odds and ends of furniture home. Worked well for him, not sure what he had to pay though, but I know he saved a lot of money on freighting them himself. Might not be that many coming home these days though. :(

Sounds good, do you know if he got caught by customs? No lots leaving no doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

You may have a future parts problem,,, some jd's made in usa for the us maeket may look the same ones made for the irish market,, however some parts may be different,,, down the line you may have a problem,,, just bear it in mind,, i have 4 petrol mowers and 4 diesel,, of all sizes,, but when you compare hp per cutting inch deisel are streets ahead and use a lot less fuel,, and its agri deisel ,, a lot cheaper than road deisel and petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi,
    I a little confused about which is the best type of lawnmower for cutting a pitch 9500 m2 (2.25 acres approx very level).
    For a start on a very low budget €1000 - will go to €1300 max for a good bargain (I know my choice is going to be limited)

Countax - has been recommended, but I see good and bad reviews. Is it possible that the machines are not being serviced correctly or being mis-used or are they just sh1te?
    Westwood - as above
    Castlegarden - people tell me there too lite (not robust)
    Husqvarna - told they are very reliable and east to service
    Honda - told very reliable
    Viking - reliable
    John Deere/Murray/MTD - ????

Originally was looking for 18hp 40+" deck with grass collection.
    Told by dealer that 13.5HP would be good enough as pitch is level and grass will be kept short.
    He is offering a Honda 2313 for €1000 - is this good value?

Any views, information or advice appreciated Anyone with one for sale?

Advertisement