Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to teach at your alma mater (old school)

• 30-07-2012 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

It seems to be most people's dreams to go back to their old school and teach there since you know the surroundings and especially if one has fond memories of their schooldays. Just wondering can anyone share any thoughts on this - anyone who perhaps has gone back to their old school & has had good/bad things to say about doing so? If one had a good relationship with one's former principal, will it make it easier to secure a position at the school if you were applying?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did it for a short time when I was very young. Found it very awkward calling people by their first names, which I know is silly but it's my abiding memory.

I ended up teaching in a different sector, in a completely different social setting and love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

pm123 wrote: »
    It seems to be most people's dreams to go back to their old school and teach there since you know the surroundings and especially if one has fond memories of their schooldays. Just wondering can anyone share any thoughts on this - anyone who perhaps has gone back to their old school & has had good/bad things to say about doing so? If one had a good relationship with one's former principal, will it make it easier to secure a position at the school if you were applying?

I know it's not the core point you are getting at but I'd be very surprised if this were true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

My old school would be the absolute last place in the country that I would want to teach. I would rather move counties.

A few of my friends did their TP there and they were made to call our old teachers Ms. X even though they were now colleagues. This continued when one of them subbed there for a while after.

However, past pupils of the school I work in love working here. They are delighted to come back to their old school and the school is proud to have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I subbed for a short while in my old school however I felt very uncomfortable while there. The teachers were lovely no problem there, principal helped out with a few over familiar students without even asking, but I just did not feel comfortable.
    It would be a school known for having past pupils as teachers some of my class actually teach there now but it was just something that I was never interested in doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

pm123 wrote: »
    It seems to be most people's dreams to go back to their old school and teach there

Where are you getting this from? It's not a noticeable trend I've come across in my years of teaching.

Be careful what you wish for - the school you remember fondly as a student can look very different from the teacher's desk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have to say have never come across someone who has this "dream!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Have to say have never come across someone who has this "dream!"

Wouldn't be my scene at all.

It's interesting that the op considers this to be a popular desire and yet most teachers here who have replied say that its not for them.

It has been alleged on this forum recently that all the jobs in schools are going to past pupils. Might not be such a big problem after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Two of my friends are also planning on becoming teachers neither of them would even consider working in their own school

But it is something that I would eventually like to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

I did my teaching practice in my old school. Great for the advice and know they care about you. Not so good when they remember in the school! I enjoyed getting to know the teachers but the staff room is weird at the beginning. Weirdly doing it in the school I think I like to move on. Perhaps it provided closure or something from my school days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

When I was looking for teaching practice I went to my old school. The principal sat me down and we had a good chat before he advised me that while the school would be more than happy to accommodate me I might learn more by going elsewhere.
    So I started to look around safe in the knowledge that they wouldn't see me stuck if I couldn't get anything.
    I think it was great advise from him really, I would certainly apply for a job in my old school if it came up but now I have the experience of seeing how other schools work, it gave me the chance to make contacts in different parts of the country and I learned a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

bdoo wrote: »
    It's interesting that the op considers this to be a popular desire and yet most teachers here who have replied say that its not for them.

It's also interesting that the OP considers it necessary to explain what alma mater means to a forum filled with university graduates:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

It's also interesting that the OP considers it necessary to explain what alma mater means to a forum filled with university graduates:rolleyes:

I didn't know what it meant. I didn't graduate yet though :)

Advertisement