Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MFK Institute

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Personally - I think you are better off learning by taking photos, joining a camera club, going on organised photowalks .

you can learn all the technical aspect of photography from online tutorials/blogs/websites and (wait for it...... Books !!) .... but the practical aspect of how your camera reacts in different light, how to change the settings etc on your camera are all learned by using your camera.

(I hate all those "deals" as they are usually not worth wasting your money....I usually tell people they got money from you - you didn't get a deal from them unless you were originally intent on choosing their service in the first place...its a perceived value...not an actual value - they tell you that the original cost was X amount - making you think you have had a saving....when in reality you have probably spent money you were not intent on spending but because it was a saving of "Z" .... you purchased !!)

I believe in learning by experience - some people prefer a classroom and being spoon-fed the information - that doesn't work for me...if that works for you ...go for it.

I would still recommend you join a camera club and get some friends who are into photography ...and go on photowalks etc.

EDIT: You should also be cautious of a company that changes its name and location (downsizing) - and offering a deal !! (something doesn't smell right from a business point of view) .... you can see what they were originally called and originally located on their website (or maybe its on previous boards threads with other name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭terencemc

Cool, I'll join a club so...any you could recommend in the south dublin area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

http://www.offshoot.ie/ is one

Tallaght photographic society is another - dont have details on them at the moment....found it (http://www.tallaghtphotographicsociety.com)

http://www.braycameraclub.com/

http://www.dublincameraclub.ie/ (More Dublin City Center but they are highly recommended around Boards)

thats all I could find with a bit of googling - there's bound to be others. (UCD have one but I'm guessing its students only)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

bot off topic, but anyone here with offshoot camera club, realised its litrally 5 mins from my house walking and wouldnt mind having a gander. any first hand info on what its like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

ME!!!!

i happen to be the chairman at the moment

we dont run meetings over the summer, but do have outings

meetings will start again in september

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

stcstc wrote: »
    ME!!!!

ah, i see, maybe a site update is in order, was about to rock down this eve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

Great stuff im hoping to move back southside this month and was looking for a local club
    stcstc wrote: »
    ME!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Sorry to ambush thread.
    Any suggestions for camera club on Northside of Dublin. Swords area or a bit further afield is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Swords Photo Group where I am currently chairperson. We've broken for the summer but start back again in Sept.

Other than that, there is Swords Viewfinders in Swords too.

Then there is Lusk camera club, Skerries Camera club, Malahide camera club, and many more to look out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Paulw wrote: »
    Swords Photo Group where I am currently chairperson. We've broken for the summer but start back again in Sept.

Other than that, there is Swords Viewfinders in Swords too.

Then there is Lusk camera club, Skerries Camera club, Malahide camera club, and many more to look out for.

Thanks. Will look into them for September. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Did the course a few months ago. Not worth 250 for sure.

Full course of about 20 ppl went to about 8 by wk 4.

Course info was never sent to most people and no-one knew what was planned each week. Got to use some studio lighting was interesting, but not my thing. Seems theyve integrated a bit of editing as well which was separate before.

In all was ok if you want to learn a few things practically but like someone said, you'd be better off with a book or joining a group..

Advertisement