Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Surry Hills like to rent in?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Anyone know what Surry Hills is like to live? Thought it would be a good location because its between the city and the beaches,would people recommend it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Boy Gorgeous

Bit on the expensive side, by IMO prob the best part of the city to live in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

A double room in a house share for 300 doesnt seem too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

The problem with rents in Surry Hills is that they keep being put up every 6 months.

House prices keep rising and so current market value keeps rising and so landlords squeeze you every 6 months for more rent.

I started on 250 a week for a double room but now its closer to 300 a week.

Its maddening because the landlord knows they could easily fill the room if I decided not to pay...

Ya i can imagine,whats the area itself like? I was also looking at darlinghurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If your a gay guy, you'll fit right in. Surry Hills and Darlinghurst are possibly two of the most open areas in Sydney.

There is nice restaurants, wine bars etc. Everything shuts up shop at 12 midnight though due to residency laws.

FYI Surry Hills isn't really "near" the beach....

• Advertisement

haha ok i didnt know that, i will be with my girlfriend so they should get the hint :-)
    dont need to be close to the beach YET :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

your going to have that problem with any decent area same beside the beaches or eastern suburbs in general round summer time rent goes up surry hills is a good spot redfern and waterloo are also worth looking into , never lived in darlinghurst but would imagine its pretty convenient

Batgurl wrote: »
    If your a gay guy, you'll fit right in. Surry Hills and Darlinghurst are possibly two of the most open areas in Sydney.

There is nice restaurants, wine bars etc. Everything shuts up shop at 12 midnight though due to residency laws.

its not really far away either 15 or 25 mins to coogee or the juncition depending on traffic plus you can walk to anzac pde and get buses to maroubra bronte or clovelly so it does leave you with options

there is 1 or 2 places that stay open but there nothing special apart from the bersford thats open till 1 at the weekend

Ended up taking a place in pyrmont instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Batgurl wrote: »

Plenty of places in Surry Hills don't shut at midnight, its a great area. Wouldn't exactly call it near the beach, I mean its not a huge distance to travel but you won't be walking it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Probably the most convienient and best suburb in Sydney.
    10 min from the CBD, Darling Harbour, Newtown, Kings Cross, Paddington etc.
    Near Centenial Park if you like big open green spaces, the beaches are only a small bus ride away as well.
    Lots of bars, restaurants, funky shops and all that stuff.
    Been living here over 2 1/2 years now and would find it hard to leave. One thing though it can be a bit noisey as its so close to the city and you feel like you are always in the middle of the hustle and bussle. Maybe I am showing my age when I pine for a quiet area!

zweton wrote: »
    Ended up taking a place in pyrmont instead.

whats pyrmont like i was looking into places there aswell

Advertisement