Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

After watching his interview last night with vb, all I could think was:

CUTE HOOR

A nudgin', winkin', foothoppin' cute hoor.

I also loved the way he tried to detatch the Quinn Family from the Quinn Group. :rolleyes:

And it really angered me the way he kept putting emphasis on "his poor kids put on the dole". Well they are significantly more well off than people on the dole. What they get in a month in "expenses" is a good deal more than a person on the dole can expect to get. Thousands of parents have seen their children put on the dole and why? All because of dodgy dealings and loans that got this country into so much trouble...and Sean Quinn has a fair hand in that.

So please Sean, put that sympathy card away about your poor kids on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

After watching his interview last night with vb, all I could think was:

CUTE HOOR

A nudgin', winkin', foothoppin' cute hoor.

I also loved the way he tried to detatch the Quinn Family from the Quinn Group. :rolleyes:

And it really angered me the way he kept putting emphasis on "his poor kids put on the dole". Well they are significantly more well off than people on the dole. What they get in a month in "expenses" is a good deal more than a person on the dole can expect to get. Thousands of parents have seen their children put on the dole and why? All because of dodgy dealings and loans that got this country into so much trouble...and Sean Quinn has a fair hand in that.

So please Sean, put that sympathy card away about your poor kids on the dole.

he was a joke, this whole thing is a shambles, surely a man of his wealth could have afforded to provide his kids with a good education so they could get real qualifications which wouldnt rely on daddy's employment.

Quinn Insurance was one of the biggest scams this country has ever seen. As a friend of mine an actuary said about 4 years ago, Quinn Insurance employed at that time a grand total of zero actuaries, that's like a hospital with no nurses or doctors.

How people can have any ounce of smypathy for quinn or his dependants beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

bamboozle wrote: »
    he was a joke, this whole thing is a shambles, surely a man of his wealth could have afforded to provide his kids with a good education so they could get real qualifications which wouldnt rely on daddy's employment.

Quinn Insurance was one of the biggest scams this country has ever seen. As a friend of mine an actuary said about 4 years ago, Quinn Insurance employed at that time a grand total of zero actuaries, that's like a hospital with no nurses or doctors.

How people can have any ounce of smypathy for quinn or his dependants beggars belief.

The insurance industry in this country in conjunction with the legal profession is in itself a complete scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Good article on Sean Quinn here.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

The insurance industry in this country in conjunction with the legal profession is in itself a complete scam.

100% agree with that, as for this hole in Quinn Insurance who is exploiting that but the legal profession and everyone connected with compo culture and health and safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I can spot those double standards quite clearly, - the point I, and others, I suspect, in this thread have been trying to make is that vested interests are focusing our attention on Sean Quinn - to the detraction of more important matters.

Can those (not you, in particular, Biggins) who are screaming for Sean Quinns head, spot their double standards in meekly accepting all the other injustices that have been meted out, then whitewashed by propaganda in the media?

I can understand people wanting to see Sean Quinn punished for his wrongdoing.
    I'm damned if I can see why "justice" should be seen to be done almost exclusively in Sean Quinns case - and not in others.

It's as if some people want to exact revenge on Sean Quinn for all the wrongdoing that has been done, by him, and everyone else.
    That's not justice, it's more like a baying mob on a witchhunt - who aren't so much bothered about justice, as drawing blood.

We will not gain anything for either ourselves, or our children, unless we get to the truth about the level of Banking and Political corruption, then address that.
    Unfortunately, I'm afraid that some people are too easily distracted to apply enough pressure to ensure that real justice will ever be seen to be done - and that's exactly the way those who have something to hide want to keep it.

Why can't we just all agree that Sean Quinn, Sean Fitzpatrick, and all the other bankers and politicians who played a part in this fiasco deserve to be punished? Why defend one guy against the others just because they haven't (yet...) been tried in court? Sean Fitz may or may not get off the hook scott free, depending on how his day in court goes, but that doesn't mean that Sean Quinn is any less guilty for his role in all of this. Let them all pay the price, Sean Quinn included.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good article on Sean Quinn here.

Why is it good?

• Administrators Posts: 53,861 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19063419

Lays out the facts pretty well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

gatecrash wrote: »
    if those 5000 people want to show their support for the Quinns, then let THEM take on the burden of the debt that the rest of the nation was saddled with.

Let them pay back the money, and let me keep mine, without having to 'support' a family who don't have the decency or respect for this country to purge their contempt of court.

I totally agree with this post. If Fr Brian, Mickey Harte and all the others want to support the Quinns then let them forget their stupid marches and open their wallets instead.... I bet their support wouldn't be long drying up at that suggestion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

CorkBabe33 wrote: »
    I totally agree with this post. If Fr Brian, Mickey Harte and all the others want to support the Quinns then let them forget their stupid marches and open their wallets instead.... I bet their support wouldn't be long drying up at that suggestion!!

I heard rumours that there was a collection at the rally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mardy Bum wrote: »

There was a collection of gob****es at the rally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Why can't we just all agree that Sean Quinn, Sean Fitzpatrick, and all the other bankers and politicians who played a part in this fiasco deserve to be punished? Why defend one guy against the others just because they haven't (yet...) been tried in court? Sean Fitz may or may not get off the hook scott free, depending on how his day in court goes, but that doesn't mean that Sean Quinn is any less guilty for his role in all of this. Let them all pay the price, Sean Quinn included.

I'm in full agreement that all wrongdoers deserve to be punished.

My fear is that the feeding frenzy that has been whipped up by the media regarding Sean Quinn, will drain peoples appetite for justice, and that Seanie and Fingers will slip quietly under the radar for their day in court, and indeed get off the hook either scott free, or with a slap on the wrist, because the public desire for revenge will have been sated.

I firmly believe that those who caused the most damage deserve the most punishment - so I want the senior management at Anglo punished severely.

If Anglo management had already been through the Court, and been adequately punished, then I'd have no problem with Sean Quinn being punished.

As it stands, however, there seems to be an interminable delay in getting the main players to Court, and a great deal of urgency about getting a lesser player - who undoubtedly has invaluable information about the other players - a: Vilified in the media, and b: Too broke to continue to mount a defence.

I have to wonder how that will affect Sean Quinns credibility as a potential witness in other court cases - and whether this media frenzy may just be of benefit to other, bigger players.

I have never once said that I believe Sean Quinn should be forgiven any wrongdoing. What I have repeatedly said, however, is that I want to see the main players ie. Senior Management in Banks - adequately punished for the harm they have caused to Irish people.
    How that equates to defending Sean Quinn, or suggesting that he does not deserve to be punished for any wrongdoing is beyond me.:confused:

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I'm in full agreement that all wrongdoers deserve to be punished.

My fear is that the feeding frenzy that has been whipped up by the media regarding Sean Quinn, will drain peoples appetite for justice, and that Seanie and Fingers will slip quietly under the radar for their day in court, and indeed get off the hook either scott free, or with a slap on the wrist, because the public desire for revenge will have been sated.

I firmly believe that those who caused the most damage deserve the most punishment - so I want the senior management at Anglo punished severely.

If Anglo management had already been through the Court, and been adequately punished, then I'd have no problem with Sean Quinn being punished.

As it stands, however, there seems to be an interminable delay in getting the main players to Court, and a great deal of urgency about getting a lesser player - who undoubtedly has invaluable information about the other players - a: Vilified in the media, and b: Too broke to continue to mount a defence.

I have to wonder how that will affect Sean Quinns credibility as a potential witness in other court cases - and whether this media frenzy may just be of benefit to other, bigger players.

I have never once said that I believe Sean Quinn should be forgiven any wrongdoing. What I have repeatedly said, however, is that I want to see the main players ie. Senior Management in Banks - adequately punished for the harm they have caused to Irish people.
    How that equates to defending Sean Quinn, or suggesting that he does not deserve to be punished for any wrongdoing is beyond me.:confused:

To be honest, I can't see how the Irish public, having spent the last 4 years bitching about Sean Fitz, will suddenly forget all about him just because a relative late comer in the public eye like Sean Quinn has gotten some recent attention.

You can say what you like about Sean Fitz, but he has had a far bigger roasting in the Irish media than Sean Quinn ever did. Unlike Quinn, there is nobody willing to defend him either because a) he's a member of the Posh D4 elite, and b) he didn't employee entire communities in his businesses like Quinn did. Regardless of who's worse, I hope every Tom, Dick and Harry connected with Anglo gets the punishment they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

To be honest, I can't see how the Irish public, having spent the last 4 years bitching about Sean Fitz, will suddenly forget all about him just because a relative late comer in the public eye like Sean Quinn has gotten some recent attention.

You can say what you like about Sean Fitz, but he has had a far bigger roasting in the Irish media than Sean Quinn ever did. Unlike Quinn, there is nobody willing to defend him either because a) he's a member of the Posh D4 elite, and b) he didn't employee entire communities in his businesses like Quinn did. Regardless of who's worse, I hope every Tom, Dick and Harry connected with Anglo gets the punishment they deserve.

Regarging seanie fitz & co, we should not forget that David Drumm was the chief executive of anglo when all the dirty dealings were going on.

Out of sight, out of mind?

kr7 wrote: »
    Regarging seanie fitz & co, we should not forget that David Drumm was the chief executive of anglo when all the dirty dealings were going on.

Out of sight, out of mind?

Who said anything about forgetting him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

It was embarrassing to say the least, these people know nothing about what goes on outside their own communities. Its very us vs them. Which is what guys like Quinn prey on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

awec wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19063419

Lays out the facts pretty well IMO.

Shush - Quinn supporters don't want to read the actual details in that report!
    (Especially the last bit which sums the rest of it up)
    Judge Elizabeth Dunne summarised this key argument in her contempt judgement: "Instead of trying to repay the admitted debt due, the Quinn family and in particular the respondents have taken every step possible to make it as difficult as can be to recover any amount due.

“They have engaged in a complex, complicated and, no doubt, costly, series of steps designed to put the assets of the IPG (International Property Group) beyond the reach of Anglo, in a blatant, dishonest and deceitful manner.

“They have consciously misled courts here and elsewhere. They have sought to deprive Anglo of the assets which would go some way to Facts discharging an admitted indebtedness.

“The behaviour of the respondents outlined in evidence before me is as far as removed from the concept of honour and respectability as it is possible to be.”

Link again for those that missed it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19063419

Nice lads eh?

Let them off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭afterburn1

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    No there wasn't!
    Bambi wrote: »
    There was a collection of gob****es at the rally
    Easy to slag off people from behind a computer screen. If you have something to say about the people of Ballyconnell come to Ballyconnell and say it. !:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

afterburn1 wrote: »
    No there wasn't!

Easy to slag off people from behind a computer screen. If you have something to say about the people of Ballyconnell come to Ballyconnell and say it. !:rolleyes:

I'm in front of a computer screen? :confused:

Do people sit behind computer screens in ballyconnell? sounds a bit backwards tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 26 an offshore entity

Peter Quinn Senior on Northern Sound. Talking alot of sense, to be honest.

http://www.northernsound.ie/podcasts.php

• Advertisement

Peter Quinn Senior on Northern Sound. Talking alot of sense, to be honest.

Why is he talking a lot of sense?

Why is he talking a lot of sense?

If this goes to the European Supreme court, the 'large case' will be quashed.

He is talking sense because of an 'if'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

afterburn1 wrote: »

Yeah, come to Ballyconnell so you can get the head beat off ya by a bunch of brainwashed local-yokels.

Coward.

He is talking sense because of an 'if'?

Probably a 'when' based on the stubbornness of the Quinn family that we have seen so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭afterburn1

Yeah, come to Ballyconnell so you can get the head beat off ya by a bunch of brainwashed local-yokels.

Coward.
    No cowards around here son! you will get a fair hearing here!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

anybody remember that Ireland's richest programme a few years back, Sean Quinn came first, although it's more likely Craig Doyle came first the way he was teabagging and fellating him :pac:

https://twitter.com/WealthyFacts

Gene Kerrigan hits the nail on the head in the Indo today:

Quinn is no victim of a 'Dub conspiracy'
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/gene-kerrigan-quinn-is-no-victim-of-a-dub-conspiracy-3189926.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I can't help but feel that the Quinn rally group are like the Irish equivalent of Creationists. There's plenty of them and they believe their own bull****...I didn't expect to open this topic and discover a load of supporters, rather worrying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 interesting to know

Whether you have an interest or not, Sean Quinn former business magnate and billionaire has been making the media headlines constantly over the past number of years.

The most recent headline – has been the rally and show of solidarity for Quinn and his supposedly beleaguered family.
    However, the key question is, do these people really understand what they are supporting?

I will attempt to explain the downfall of Sean Quinn, without sounding condescending in layman terms, so joe public can make an informed decision.

The purpose of this article is to provide the FACTS only.
    (1) Long before the banking crisis. In 2002 Sean Quinn signed over the majority of his assets (including the following companies: Quinn Insurance, packaging, glass and cement) to his five children (to be divided equally among them).Whilst remaining an incredibly wealthly man, the “cash cow” highly profitable companies were under control of his children.

(2) Sean Quinn is not the victim of Anglo Irish “toxic” Bank blowing all his investment wrecklessly on crazy lending during the boom without him knowing.

(3) Mr. Quinn in 2006 only owned a small share of Anglo Irish Bank.

(4) Where things went badly wrong was when Sean Quinn entered into highly risky bets called “contracts for difference”. Without boring you with the financial terms, it quite simply means that two parties place a wager against each other. One bets that the share price of a company will rise by a certain date, the other person bets it will fall.

(5) Mr Quinn bet the price of Anglo Irish bank would rise, however as we all know the construction industry collapsed and Anglo’s share price quickly followed (quite simply because all the money it lent was into to the construction industry).

(6) Now the key thing of contracts for difference is that you don’t simply lose your initial bet. You are liable for the entire difference in share price, whether is rises or falls.

(7) For example. I place a stake that Facebook’s share will increase (go long) by a certain date. Another guys reckons it will fall (go short) by the same date. We quite simply place our bets. So I put my stake down (usually 20% of the current share price x by the number of shares I want. So I want 10 facebook shares. They are currently trading at £50 each. So that is £500 worth of shares and I need to put up 20% of this, which is £100. The other guy does the same. Facebook’s shares take a big tumble and are trading at £25 per share now. This is really bad because it means that I owe the other guy the difference between the original share price and the price the shares are when then the contract for difference is up. This means I owe the other guy 10 x £25 – my original stake of £100= which means I owe the other guy £150.

(8) Sean Quinn made this same bet with another guy on Anglo only on a much bigger scale. So you recognise the amount he owes to the other party. Anglo share price was trading at a high over €10 a share. They now are worthless.
    (9) The guy he made the contract for difference with is unknown.

[COLOR="Red"](10) Now this is the really juicy bit. Once the share price collapsed Mr. Quinn could have went bankrupt because quite simply he didn’t have enough money to cover his losses.[/COLOR]

(11) But he chose not to for some really strange reason. He thought he could fix things. So he decided to buy these shares that he bet on previously (28% of Anglo in total) which he hoped would raise the price of the shares and recover some of his losses. However, as we know this was very poor advice he received as the construction industry was in no way about to recover. But the key thing here is as we know from earlier Mr.Quinn did not have the wealth himself to purchase the share as remember he signed over all his companies to children in earlier years.

(12) He somehow convinced Anglo to loan him money to buy Anglo’s own shares which is completely illegal under company law.

(13) Realising the share price was not going to recover, he knew he had to offload the shares, but also realised that he couldn’t offload all of this shares at once because speculators know when large amount of shares come under to the market all once that the company is in trouble.

(14) So he sold his shares to the following: 15% of Anglo went to the Quinn family and children and the other 10% went to the maple ten, investors and friends of Sean Quinn.

(16) However, what he did was pretty much transfer the debt (that he owed Anglo from the loan he took from them to buy the share for himself) to his children and friends and the Quinn companies which were pretty much debt free up and until now.

(17) With the downturn, the Quinn businesses such as cement and packaging were not performing as well as they were previously. The loan payments were due and the only Quinn company that could make payment was the insurance business.

(18) The family took €200 milllion from the insurance business to service the repayments for the anglo loan. However, this money was essentially from the insurance reserve, money kept in reserve to pay out claims on car accidents etc. The insurance regulator quickly recognised that if Quinn Insurance got an influx of large claims all once it didn’t have the money to pay them and stepped in and took control of the insurance arm.

(19) It meant that the Quinn family were left to service the anglo debt but were no longer in control of the cash cow insurance arm. Without this insurance company the Quinn family didn’t have a chance of repaying the anglo loans. And the rest is history. So when the Quinn family defaulted on the loan repayments Anglo took control of the remaining Quinn companies in an effort to recoup their losses.

(20) The Quinns quickly moved to put their international assets, namely a Russian hotel among other outside of the control of Anglo, in a web of complex companies.

Points to Note.
    You as the taxpayer have bailed out the banks. Now the banks are trying to repay back to the taxpayer these monies through clawing back as much as possible from the sale of assets from developers and other it has loaned money originally.Anglo is doing the same with Sean Quinn and is obviously is trying to claim back more money.

Quite simply, the less assets Anglo can recover the more the taxpayer has to fork out.

So by hiding assets in complex transactions, the Quinn family is costing the taxpayer more money. They are also disputing the legality of the money Anglo lent Sean originally to buy the shares. However, if the shares had have increased instead of dropped, they wouldn’t be disputing the legality of the loans.

So the question has to be asked, will you rally to support Sean Quinn and family knowing they are hitting your back pocket as they hid assets?

[COLOR="Red"]Why didn’t Sean Quinn go bankrupt instead of asking his children’s companies to take over his debt. If he went bankrupt before transferring the debt (the worthless shares) to his children and their companies, the Quinn Family would still be in control on the Quinn Group as the children did not owe the debt to Anglo, Sean did.[/COLOR]

Advertisement