Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Throw a stick out of any Dublin window and the odds are you'll hit someone from Kerry, Mayo or Meath.

Why must the Dubs throw sticks and hit outsiders :(

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

whats is wrong with people in Caven why would you support someone that cost over 500 million of damage to the state the must be MAD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Katunga wrote: »
    whats is wrong with people in Caven why would you support someone that cost over 500 million of damage to the state the must be MAD.

...But ...but they created jobs!

(Then dumped them quick flash to asset strip and shove the money elsewhere - but shush, we're not supposed to acknowledge that bit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Welcome to boards.

Nice first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Hello? 70% of people voted FF/FG after they executed the €60bn Anglo bail-out fraud.

By that standard most of Ireland are waaaaaaayyyyy more mad than people from Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

squod wrote: »
    Hello? 70% of people voted FF/FG after they executed the €60bn Anglo bail-out fraud.

By that standard most of Ireland are waaaaaaayyyyy more mad than people from Cavan.

How does that justify supporting the illegal actions of Sean Quinn. Take it you support him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Gene Kerrigan hits the nail on the head in the Indo today:

Quinn is no victim of a 'Dub conspiracy'
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/gene-kerrigan-quinn-is-no-victim-of-a-dub-conspiracy-3189926.html

The Times (England) had similar comment - large comment.
    I can't re-print the whole thing here for board.ie legal copyright reasons but here is a small section (and the below is just a small section!):
    The wealthier they come, the less they pay for their crimes
    By Brenda Power.

Anthony Lyons* and Seán Quinn are two smarmy, self-serving individuals who have exhibited no remorse for the harm they have caused. On the contrary, they both continue to insist they are victims themselves, and that behaviour they engaged in was entirely due to circumstances beyond their control.

They both have so much pity for themselves they have none to spare for the casualties of their actions. Indeed, beneath the thinnest skim of requisite contrition, you can tell they are privately furious with the whimpering of those they’ve wronged.
    ...maybe we do need one law for the rich and one law for the poor; one for the weaklings and one for the powerful. On the evidence of the past week, there are a lot of people who certainly hold that view. The thousands who turned out in support of the Quinn family, including pillars of the church, the community and the GAA, seem to believe the business of giving truthful evidence on oath and paying your debts and abiding by court decisions are concerns that should not trouble our betters.

Families across the country are threatened with homelessness and destitution because they can’t pay debts in four figures, and nobody holds monster rallies to support them.

The forelock-tugging obeisance to the wealthy Quinns is proof that a craven reverence for people of status, which allowed crooked politicians and greedy bankers and overreaching developers to thrive during our fleeting boom, still flourishes in this country. Despite everything we now know it seems that money still talks.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1096619.ece

* Anthony Lyons:
    This is the chap that paid off a victim to his sex attack, so that his court punishment would be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Bit condescending apart from the juicy bit .

Not a consumer issue - imo , but is easy to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some people have been told to shut up, but it looks like it's aimed at not only FG but GAA people as well.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

Fine Gael issues warning to members not to comment on court cases

1pm - Fine Gael has issued a warning to TDs and MEPs to refrain from commenting on cases that are before the court. Although no particular court case was mentioned, the communique is seen as a response to MEP Sean Kelly's support of bankrupt businessman Sean Quinn - according to today's Irish Independent. Earlier this week Mr Kelly - a native of Kilcummin and a former GAA president - gave an interview to Radio Kerry supporting those who attended a rally for the Quinn family. Sean Quinn's brother Peter is also a former GAA president. In a later statement Mr Kelly insisted people had a right to show their support under freedom of expression. However, speaking on Radio Kerry this morning, Mayor of Killarney Sean O'Grady said people can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

awec wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19063419

Lays out the facts pretty well IMO.
    Judge Elizabeth Dunne summarised this key argument in her contempt judgement: "Instead of trying to repay the admitted debt due, the Quinn family and in particular the respondents have taken every step possible to make it as difficult as can be to recover any amount due.

"They have engaged in a complex, complicated and, no doubt, costly, series of steps designed to put the assets of the IPG (International Property Group) beyond the reach of Anglo, in a blatant, dishonest and deceitful manner.

"They have consciously misled courts here and elsewhere. They have sought to deprive Anglo of the assets which would go some way to discharging an admitted indebtedness.

"The behaviour of the respondents outlined in evidence before me is as far as removed from the concept of honour and respectability as it is possible to be."

Crafty, greedy family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Vicxas wrote: »
    So they're supporting a fella who drove more than one multi million euro business' into the ground, and then tried to hide money from his creditors......

What the FCUK is wrong with Ireland.

Just look around boards.ie and you will begin to see the answer emerge clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 interesting to know

Bit condescending apart from the juicy bit .

Not a consumer issue - imo , but is easy to understand

It is not meant to be condescending and I apologise if it comes across that. It is meant to be a clear insight for ordinary people like myself into the whole fiasco.

I don't have an accounting or banking background and I found the broadsheets failed to covey the whole story in a concise manner for non-bankers.

It is not fair for the nationals to automatically assume that ordinary people like myself should know key terms.

And I genuinely believe that there are large numbers of people both supporting and criticising Sean Quinn but don't have a proper understanding of the facts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

This situation is the exact same as people voting for crap TDs because they got the "de medjical card" or sorted out a bit of planning for them.

Do something for someone in this country and you own them for life. We have a strange ability as a nation to develop a perverse loyalty to the ****tiest people.

Is it some kind of "loveable rogue" thing or something? To quote the Simpsons, "Give us hell, Quimby!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Don't think this is the right forum but good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Any possibility of a bit of formatting?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue. Moved to AH as I'm not sure where else would be best.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Superbly explained. Sounds like Sean Quinn was badly advised though, which is why he's still garnering some sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some people have been told to shut up, but it looks like it's aimed at not only FG but GAA people as well.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

More censorship by our 'leaders'?

Quinn is wrong, very wrong but surely FG gagging their members is wrong too.

We're entitled to know who we vote for and what they stand for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

How does that justify supporting the illegal actions of Sean Quinn. Take it you support him.

Dafuq ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The best and clearest explanation of something i've been struggling to understand fully. Thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

bit long i could not read all that

can someone summarize in a tweet please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

In 1 tweet :) ...

Quinn took a risk, lost. Bank want money, he won't pay. Why do some people support him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

#quinnfcukeduprealbad

Any possibility of a bit of formatting?
    Done,

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

However, the key question is, do these people really understand what they are supporting?

Like religion, you can explain things to people until they are blue in the face but folk will always believe what they want to believe and see what the want to see.

These sad sheeple see Sean as their sole source of income and gormlessly will sukle his teats so long as they believe he can still produce milk.

It doesnt matter that hes a dirty dirty lying theieving scumbag who would slit any of their throats or wallets open if he felt the need to better himself or his scumspawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

Great post op. Are you the financial regulator Matthew Edlerfield :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭biddybops

TheBody wrote: »
    I think it's matt the coop

TheBody wrote: »
    I'm not, I'm just an average Joe. I just wanted to relay the facts. I have been asked by a number of people to attend the rally and when I ask them why they are attending, they state, Anglo is on a witchhunt.

Anglo is on a hunt alright for irish taxpayers money currently residing in eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Gonna merge these as we're becoming overrun with threads about Sean Quinn.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Gonna merge these as we're becoming overrun with threads about Sean Quinn.

Stay tuned next Sunday for the unravelling of an even bigger scandal - one which rock the farming community and yet again question the integrity of government bodies

Advertisement