Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech hedge pruning

Options
  • 30-07-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on pruning a beech hedge. It's about 5 years old and 7ft tall in places.

I want it to thicken out & fill in the gaps and grow to about 8ft tall.

It looks untidy at the moment and some lead shoots are flopping over.

Can anyone advise on how best to prune it to achieve the above-mentioned including how much to take off the existing height & where to prune etc.

Pictures in the link below. Thanks in advance

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/Kilnadrain/Beech%20hedge%20pruning/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Your plants look very healthy.
    It takes 8-10 years to establish a hedge.

Decide on eventual height and width you want.
    Start pruning the top at about 8 inches below that end point to get to bush out.
    Start pruning side branches at about 4 inches before that point to get to bush out.
    Do not overfeed your hedge as this will lead to excessive extention (weaker) growth.
    Prune mid summer or mid winter (nov-feb).

I use a scatures on my beech hedge to ensure each cut is just above a bud (avoids dieback) and I only prune once a year in winter as I like the downward sweep of the new branches, also gives a very accurate rectangle shape for a formal beech hedge

Advertisement