Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No facebook account = suspicious

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

WTF are people talking like this :confused:

Say I met an Irish girl, over here, who did not have FB, or even someone from another country/ different part of Australia. Things are going well, she wants to move in together.

Yet I have never met one friend of hers from her hometown, and have no evidence she is even in any contact with anyone back home bar family.

You would not be just a tad suspicious of whether this person has something to hide? People who have no discernible past usually do not have one for a good reason, I have met a few people in my time like that.
    I'm in my mid thirties and don't have a FB account, I'm also not in contact with anyone I went to school with and haven't been for 15+ years. I have browsed facebook and have found that I'm the only one from my leaving cert class that doesn't have an account.

You'd hold that against me?

I have valid reasons for not being friends with these people - wouldn't have much in common with them now and most of them were w*nkers in school anyway. Maybe they're different now but I really don't have any desire to find out if this is the case.

I'd actually regard a lot of this "friending" that goes on to be quite pathetic. From my LC class I see that people are FB friends with those who bullied them in a vile manner. Not only are they friends with each other now, they're also friends with each others' wives/gfs. Pretty bizarre in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

i had a faceache account a while back (now closed) to many little keyboard cowboys wanting to start non sensical fights with people they dont know.

I would hope any employer i sent my CV to would have the common sense to judge me on my experience rather than the adolesent drunken ramblings of people who post on that thing.

I think faceache should be outlawed as it does nothing but tell people were you are every minute of the day, destroys one to one interaction with parents and der snot nosed kids who think OMG my loife is quite literally goin to end if i dont let all my friends know i had a cheese sandwich 20 seconds ago......quite simply its the biggest killer of brain cells since whiskey

RVP 11 wrote: »
    **** Facebook.

This.

When RVP isn't banging them in for Arsenal (though prob not for much longer :() he is making sensible comments on boards.ie. :)

Whoever is on it sure good luck to them and i can see some purposes that it serves but in an overall sense it just isn't for me.

I have a weird flatmate from last year who despite having naff all social skills herself is insisting 'i dont know what im missing'.
    Thanks but no thanks love and you can draw any assumptions you like from my stance on this issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Proof!

Hitler wasn't on Facebook, therefore people not on Facebook are bad!

I think I just Darwined my own post.

war_child wrote: »
    i had a faceache account a while back (now closed) to many little keyboard cowboys wanting to start non sensical fights with people they dont know.

I would hope any employer i sent my CV to would have the common sense to judge me on my experience rather than the adolesent drunken ramblings of people who post on that thing.

I think faceache should be outlawed as it does nothing but tell people were you are every minute of the day, destroys one to one interaction with parents and der snot nosed kids who think OMG my loife is quite literally goin to end if i dont let all my friends know i had a cheese sandwich 20 seconds ago......quite simply its the biggest killer of brain cells since whiskey

High 5 your a legend

Victor wrote: »
    Proof!

Hitler wasn't on Facebook, therefore people not on Facebook are bad!

I think I just Darwined my own post.

Ye but neither was mother Teresa and Gandhi and they never went an spawned a snotty love child

PROOF lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I don't care whether someone has an fb account or not... what bothers me are the people who don't have one and somehow think they are better than you for not having one. :confused:

Those kind of people are on a par with people who smugly tell you they don't ever watch television and don't even own one. Um, OK, good for you. :confused:

I will re phrase.

Say I met an Irish girl, over here, who did not have FB, or even someone from another country/ different part of Australia. Things are going well, she wants to move in together.

Yet I have never met one friend of hers from her hometown, and have no evidence she is even in any contact with anyone back home bar family.

You would not be just a tad suspicious of whether this person has something to hide? People who have no discernible past usually do not have one for a good reason, I have met a few people in my time like that.

God almighty how did all those who left Ireland on the famine ships and in the 150 odd years prior to the facebook age ever survive? :rolleyes:

In a strange country, meeting other people with not a facebook account to their name. God above when i think of them poor divils :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'm not enjoying face book any more while it is handy for me to contact people and sort out stuff I really don't like using it unless its for something, useful like traveling information, which is what i do, or getting info about stuff i know you can get third hand info of the web but some second hand info can be a lot more useful...

I think it's dead handy, how ever in recent years I think people have abused it and its kinda gives of the impression that its turning the world into some sort of sinister, sci fi movie with all this checking in crap..

How ever for small companies I think it can be a really useful tool to get your product/services out there...

As for having no account and being suspicious thats a load of crap 10 years ago we didn't have face book now we do... Some people don't want to share that side of there life on the web which I is totally acceptable...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have to admit, if I met an Irish person over here who had no friends from his home area he could introduce me to, coupled with not having a FB account, I would think it pretty likely he was running away from something sinister. People with a vague past usually have one for a reason.

What the actual fuck? Why does a person have to hang around with other Irish people wherever they go? I actively avoided them when I was in Australia. Don't be so stupidly narrowminded.

God almighty how did all those who left Ireland on the famine ships and in the 150 odd years prior to the facebook age ever survive? :rolleyes:

In a strange country, meeting other people with not a facebook account to their name. God above when i think of them poor divils :rolleyes:

Superb excellent outstanding, sir allow me to smack you with a legend also :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I'd be more suspicious of someone who doesn't have a face

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Laughable article. Obviously set up by the company too. "More likely to be a mass murderer if doesnt have a facebook account"? hahahaa What genius came up with that and how can they sleep at night knowing there is potentially 6 billion mass murderer - killers on the loose throughout the globe??

Looks like facebook is finished and about time too. Anybody who actually falls for a statement like that is a total idiot.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

buried wrote: »
    Looks like facebook is finished and about time too. Anybody who actually falls for a statement like that is a total idiot.

So its not finished and its not about time?

Confab wrote: »
    What the actual fuck? Why does a person have to hang around with other Irish people wherever they go? I actively avoided them when I was in Australia. Don't be so stupidly narrowminded.

Surely it's as narrow-minded to "actively avoid" them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I have stopped using Facebook because of all the regurgitation that people post on a daily basis.

If a employer asked me to look at my facebook profile, I'd say either 1) "I don't use Facebook any more" and/or 2) "I don't use Facebook, would you like to look at my Google+ Profile instead".

Anyone wrote: »
    So its not finished and its not about time?

Very good. Pity there isnt the sport of Smartarse-ery at the Olympics. You'd definitely win Ireland the bronze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

eth0 wrote: »
    According to this anyway: http://activepolitic.com:82/News/2012-07-25c/Facebook_Abstainers_could_be_labeled_Suspicious.html

Think its a load of shoite myself but do you view facebook non-users as social outcasts who are not to be trusted? If someone applies for a job and you can't find them on FB do you throw their CV in the bin?

I'm not on Facebook, so it wouldn't even occur to me to go looking...

I'd be more suspicious of someone who doesn't have a face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Don't have one. Don't need one.

Linkedin for the win!

• Advertisement

I'm not on it either, I deleted my account 3 years ago and signed back up there last year for a while, and I had to delete it when pictures of babies from people I haven't seen in 20 years starting popping up on my screen.

What a waste of bandwidth.

It's one database I don't want to be part of it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

NoDrama wrote: »

It's one database I don't want to be part of it.....

I can think of some other databases you probably wouldn't want to be part of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Surely it's as narrow-minded to "actively avoid" them?

depends on the context really. if you emigrate to another country and spend your time hanging around with other ex-pats (as many people do) then you're not exactly integrating or getting used to the country. there's no harm in actively avoiding other irish people for the first 6 months or so you're in a new country imo - it takes you out of the comfort zone

Helix wrote: »
    depends on the context really. if you emigrate to another country and spend your time hanging around with other ex-pats (as many people do) then you're not exactly integrating or getting used to the country. there's no harm in actively avoiding other irish people for the first 6 months or so you're in a new country imo - it takes you out of the comfort zone

Don't know about you but I tend to just talk to people, I don't really care where they are from, Irish or not. By talking to an Irish person abroad, you're not necessarily going to be inducted into an ex-pat community or that you have to be, even if they're are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Don't know about you but I tend to just talk to people, I don't really care where they are from, Irish or not. By talking to an Irish person abroad, you're not necessarily going to be inducted into an ex-pat community or that you have to be, even if they're are.

well id class actively avoiding them as not going to irish pubs, or places known to be full of irish pepole. id absolutely take everyone on their merits regardless of nationality, but i wouldn't be heading to the nearest irish pub in a hurry, whereas i have mates who went to oz for a year and did nothing but hang around with irish people, even checking out the irish pubs regularly to see if any new ones had arrived. that i dont see the point in

whats the point , if ya want irish girls stay at homeifi was goin to america australia anywer id be tottin up some foreign bed post notches, lol Flag the Flag proudly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It would be utterly sad if an employer checked out and apllicants facebook.

Why would they want to do that? :confused:
    Check if they are single cause you got the hots for them? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I know people whos job it is to go through peoples facebook accounts as their job. There is so much info up there. Insurance company's etc ... Got rid of mine.
    Software that goes through Facebook and Twitter feeds of claimants is becoming pretty big business in the business intelligence market.

If some gob****e is discovered fraudulently claiming for whiplash because he/she posts pictures of themselves skiing whilst on "disability leave" from work, I'm all for it. The more fraud, the higher the premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

whats the point , if ya want irish girls stay at homeifi was goin to america australia anywer id be tottin up some foreign bed post notches, lol Flag the Flag proudly

state of irish education. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

old_aussie wrote: »
    Most of the friends I grew up with are dead, will facebook put me in contact with them.

Personally I don't give a rats arse about facebook.

Are you sure they're dead or is it that they just don't want to deal with you anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

eth0 wrote: »
    According to this anyway: http://activepolitic.com:82/News/2012-07-25c/Facebook_Abstainers_could_be_labeled_Suspicious.html

Think its a load of shoite myself but do you view facebook non-users as social outcasts who are not to be trusted? If someone applies for a job and you can't find them on FB do you throw their CV in the bin?

I have a facebook accont that's not under my real name. Where does that leave me?

If I apply for a job, and you throw my CV in the bin because you can't find me on Facebook, thank you for not hiring me - I've obviously dodged a bullet.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I have to admit, if I met an Irish person over here who had no friends from his home area he could introduce me to, coupled with not having a FB account, I would think it pretty likely he was running away from something sinister. People with a vague past usually have one for a reason.

I don't have many friends from my home area that I contact anymore (I do have friends in various countries and countries, believe it or not) nor do I (nor will I ever) have a Facebook account......why is this a sign of something sinister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I honestly have no idea what you're saying here. Can someone translate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

I will re phrase.

So have you seen that movie Arlington Road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

eth0 wrote:
    Think its a load of shoite myself but do you view facebook non-users as social outcasts who are not to be trusted?
    No i view them as someone like myself who is AWAKE and values thier privacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

It was a useful way of keeping in touch with people who I felt not worthy of the price of a phone call.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

One of my friends doesn’t have a facebook profile, mainly because of her abusive ex-boyfriend - she is very careful about what goes online because she doesn’t want him to track her down. Why should that be held against her in a job interview, and why would that be any potential employer’s business anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Leftist wrote: »

I don't think they teach them to talk like that. 'Ok students, it's time for another lesson on 'Topicul txtspk in evuriday situashuns'!

The article is rubbish. Claiming that people are suspicous or dangerous and have no chance of getting a job because they are not signed up to facebook. And basing that claim on the fact that Andres Brehvik and the James Holmes were not signed up to the site.

Wasnt Raoul Moat on facebook? "Ahh yes Mr. Moat, I see you have a facebook profile which proves you are not a dangerous homicidal maniac, you got the job my good man"

Even if Moat did not have a facebook profile, Was there not thousands of facebook subscribers supporting Moat to go around and KILL people on fan pages? But by that articles logic, those people are stable, sound members of society too...just as long as they are signed up to bloody facebook. Jesus Christ.

Dont be falling for facebooks corporate nonsense. This article has clearly been put out by the company. People on facebook are sick of the relentless advertising, facebooks share flotation has utterly failed on the stock markets and now the company is resorting to using fear and suspicion to gain new members and keep existing ones.

Truly pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Speaking of (alleged) mass murderers I wonder is Larry Murphy on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tellmesomethin

Jack just had his first solid poo in 3 days.... 15 people like this- FFS! It's turning into a mums club for some people.

It seems a platform for people to boast about holidays and how much they leave the house... I've traveled the world and lead an illustrious life but haven't put one photo up... Hold on, i'm doing it now!

Leftist wrote: »

leftist how can you say the state of Irish education due to my post, im 33 my educational years have long since passed me by , and what, people only travel to America or Australia to study , ive seen some humdingers in my time but this one takes the waste of time award hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I don't use facebook anymore, I deactivated my account a couple of months ago.
    Now, when I phone or meet up with my friends, we actually have 'news' to catch up on.
    We have a few days/weeks worth of stuff to talk about, rather than it being thrown in my face every hour- where they are, who they're with, and what they're doing.
    If anything, for this reason it's made my social life a lot better, because now I get to talk and laugh with them face-to-face rather than alone in my room looking into a computer screen.

• I've been trying to tell people this for a couple of years. Some idiot a while back tried to convince everyone that nobody should have Facebook and that employers always check and all this other sinister rubbish.

Employers DO check. And these days, for quite a few companies, it's worse to have no online presence at all than to have a Facebook/LinkedIn/Twitter. It is seen as a bit weird/suspicious if they google you and find nothing at all. Particularly for the type of jobs I apply for (translation, proofreading, web localisation).

I don't see the issue with having Facebook once you remember that it is easy enough for people to check it if they really want to (FB privacy settings are cack). I have nothing on there whatsoever to be ashamed of. In fact, it does a good job of backing up my CV - there are photos at different workplaces, me in different cities I've lived, friendly chat with colleagues. I'd have no problem with an employer seeing my page.

All this OH MY GOD NOBODY WILL HIRE YOU IF YOU HAVE A FACEBOOK OMG OMG! that people still come out with is ridiculous and immature. I wouldn't go as far as to say you need a Facebook page, but a normal looking page with you looking respectable is never going to go against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

i wouldn't think it's suspicious but it would annoy me a bit 'cause if i met someone and they didn't have it then i wouldn't be able to get a general feel of what sorta person they are from looking at their facebook. i wouldn't care if an employer looked at my facebook - i am what i am, nothing to hide etc, but if it would bother other people so much then just set it to private and you're sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Notorioux wrote: »
    I don't see the point of FB either. I've a cellphone to communicate with my mates so why do I need that ****. All I'm seeing there are stupid sad statuses that I don't even give a single ****.

Home Yank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I wonder are facebook losing users and starting to initiate releases like that to try and boost numbers?

woodoo wrote: »
    I've a cellphone to communicate with my [cell] mates so why do I need that
    Home Yank
    He's doing porridge! :pac:

woodoo wrote: »
    I wonder are facebook losing users and starting to initiate releases like that to try and boost numbers?

Your totally correct. I have about 8 actual friends in my life and I am very lucky to have them, all of them are signed onto facebook, half of them do not bother logging onto it anymore and the other half just use twitter. So by that I gather people must be sick of it, well, my age group at least, which would be 30 -35 year olds.

I left it 2 years ago, I could never stand it. There is nothing wrong with meeting people with a bit of mystery to them, IMO thats the best way to meet people and start actual friendships with them. Facebook literally kills the mystery about people, especially the opposite sex. I could not stand that. I think a lot of people are starting to feel the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I refuse to have a facebook account. It's not to be cool or anti-conformist or any of that rubbish. I don't have one because I don't see a point in having one. If I want to speak to a friend, no matter where in the world they are, I pick up the phone. I don;t want to hear about every other person's mundane daily activities, or your political views, or how bored you are. Couldn't give a fiddlers! I just don't see why people feel the need to exhibit their lives to all around them.

Also, when it comes to employers/potential employers looking at it; I know a lad who works for a small American company. When they interviewed people for jobs, they looked up every person on facebook. Two people that they had short-listed as potentials were dropped because of some of the content on their facebook pages.

I can understand why some people have it but I don't think people realise that everything that they put up there is there to stay and they should be more careful.

Its very difficult to arrange a time to call someone in New Zealand for example.The time difference is very awkward.

Also- thats what they used to say about phones when letter writing was the 'good old fashioned way' :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement