Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No facebook account = suspicious

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

i wouldn't think it's suspicious but it would annoy me a bit 'cause if i met someone and they didn't have it then i wouldn't be able to get a general feel of what sorta person they are from looking at their facebook. i wouldn't care if an employer looked at my facebook - i am what i am, nothing to hide etc, but if it would bother other people so much then just set it to private and you're sorted

It annoys you.

How very inconsiderate of people not on facebook to not spoon feed every little detail of themselvs to you so you can 'get a feel of what sorta person they are'.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

Throwing a CV away if someone doesn't have a FB or at least a public one? Meh, their loss. This is why people are moving away from facebook, it just enables strangers to have a good nose around in peoples lives. Linkedin is the only professional public networking profile I would make publicly available, and limited enough at that.
    Facebook themselves have cited the practice of employers asking for FB passwords or asking prospective employees to show them their personal Facebook pages as against their own terms and conditions and suggested the company concerned may well open themselves up to litigation. (Though this could only be in the US.)

http://mashable.com/2012/03/23/facebook-responds-employers-passwords/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

woodoo wrote: »
    Home Yank

It's my field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

hQh5F.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

CommanderC wrote: »
    Its very difficult to arrange a time to call someone in New Zealand for example.The time difference is very awkward.

Also- thats what they used to say about phones when letter writing was the 'good old fashioned way' :D

it's not "very difficult", it's quite straightforward.

I've a friend in Auckland and we phone each other weekly- 9 to 10am here is 8-9pm there, a reasonable time for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Wattle wrote: »
    Speaking of (alleged) mass murderers I wonder is Larry Murphy on Facebook?

He is on Bebo anyway. We are the only two left over here. Help me.

The top reasons you shouldn't use Facebook....

Reason 1: Because everyone else is.
    Reason 2: Friendship is a cosmological constant (the more you have, the less of friends they are)
    Reason 3: There's a privacy setting but it does nothing really
    Reason 4: Long-term benefit of Facebook = zero (there's a reason you haven't seen or spoken to them in a long time)
    Reason 5: Get a life (my personal favourite, writing everything you do on your wall makes you look like a 12 yr old schoolgirl)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Im not on facebook mainly because I think alot of people tell utter lies on it about themselves, they invent personas that in reality is not anything like themselves at all.
    Find it a kinda sad-desperste, if any body is likely to be a mass murderer its the facebook user as they almost create split personalities- real life and facebook life.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

The real reason is the banks!

When a person today applies for a loan (with a normal bank), banks nowadays check your facebook as part of the loan approval process (dont ask me how they do it!!!)...
    anyways, what I heard was, if you are freinds with people with have bad credit ratings than you are most likely going to get turned down for your loan as they say people who are freinds with other bad creditors are most likely themselves going to be a bad creditor!

I am not on Facebook anymore and I am also not on the mobile phone network anymore and I tell you one thing, its great :D

WATCH THIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I know someone who was asked by their employer to de-activate their Facebook account to keep up the appearance of the company.

Does that mean they're training her to be a mass murderer? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    I am not on Facebook anymore and I am also not on the mobile phone network anymore

Is that you John Conner?

roast wrote: »
    I know someone who was asked by their employer to de-activate their Facebook account to keep up the appearance of the company.

As i said im not a FB user and dont intend on being one any time soon but i dont think an employer should have right to tell someone what to do in their free time. i suppose its an argument best saved for another day. That said an employer definately should have guidelines for what their employees should or should not post on social networks but only things that may be in the context of their employment and nothing libelous or harmful to the companies image. For example if you were to put up on twitter

'ABCXYZ123 Co ltd are a shower of slave drivers'
    'I hate my f**ckin job'
    etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

buried wrote: »
    The article is rubbish. Claiming that people are suspicous or dangerous and have no chance of getting a job because they are not signed up to facebook. And basing that claim on the fact that Andres Brehvik and the James Holmes were not signed up to the site.

Wasnt Raoul Moat on facebook? "Ahh yes Mr. Moat, I see you have a facebook profile which proves you are not a dangerous homicidal maniac, you got the job my good man"

Even if Moat did not have a facebook profile, Was there not thousands of facebook subscribers supporting Moat to go around and KILL people on fan pages?

Paul Gascoigne even headed up to the scene to support him AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

WTF are people talking like this :confused:

I will re phrase.

Say I met an Irish girl, over here, who did not have FB, or even someone from another country/ different part of Australia. Things are going well, she wants to move in together.

Yet I have never met one friend of hers from her hometown, and have no evidence she is even in any contact with anyone back home bar family.

You would not be just a tad suspicious of whether this person has something to hide? People who have no discernible past usually do not have one for a good reason, I have met a few people in my time like that.

There is so much wrong with this post! I have no idea where I would even start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

roast wrote: »

If you hadn't said "her", I would have assued your friend was Rio Ferdinand.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

As i said im not a FB user and dont intend on being one any time soon but i dont think an employer should have right to tell someone what to do in their free time. i suppose its an argument best saved for another day. That said an employer definately should have guidelines for what their employees should or should not post on social networks but only things that may be in the context of their employment and nothing libelous or harmful to the companies image. For example if you were to put up on twitter

'ABCXYZ123 Co ltd are a shower of slave drivers'
    'I hate my f**ckin job'
    etc etc

It depends on the type of job it is imo. A lot of confidential company information is leaked or assumed through Facebook every day, not explicitly in a slanderous or defamatory manner. I do agree with you though, companies should definitely outline what (if any) information can be posted on social networks by employees. Not just for the companies benefit, but for the employee also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I am not on FB and I definitely do not have any intention of registering on it.

As an outside observer and from stories I have heard, I think the original purpose of the concept of FB has been eroded by attention seekers who crave continous validation- a lot of them with potential serious underlying personality disorders. Don't get me wrong, there are lot of normal folks on there who use it as a medium to keep in touch with loved ones and share pictures and experiences but the majority just sign up to keep up with the joneses. Maybe it is because I am a private person but I see no reason why I should post pictures of my holiday or every weekend outing and salivate at every like from "friends" on FB. If I feel a need to send pics to family and friends, that can be easily done via e-mail or by most phones nowadays.

As for employers checking Facebook accounts to check on potential employees; that is simply ridiculous- I would have thought that LinkedIn.com will be a more appropriate channel to evaluate them :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Originally Posted by Victor viewpost.gif
    Proof!

Hitler wasn't on Facebook, therefore people not on Facebook are bad!

I think I just Darwined my own post.

war_child wrote: »
    Ye but neither was mother Teresa and Gandhi and they never went an spawned a snotty love child

PROOF lol :D

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gandhi/16171880860

http://www.facebook.com/motherteresa12

Advertisement