Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband working, but no telephone

Options
  • 30-07-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi guys - like it says on the tin, our broadband is working fine but the telephone line isn't. There's no dial tone at all. When you ring the number, the phone physically rings but when you answer, you don't hear the caller, just an echo of a ringtone. The caller doesn't know you've answered either (keeps ringing on their end). We've tried with just the phoneline connected by itself but no joy there either. Would appreciate someone looking into it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

emaleth wrote: »
    Hi guys - like it says on the tin, our broadband is working fine but the telephone line isn't. There's no dial tone at all. When you ring the number, the phone physically rings but when you answer, you don't hear the caller, just an echo of a ringtone. The caller doesn't know you've answered either (keeps ringing on their end). We've tried with just the phoneline connected by itself but no joy there either. Would appreciate someone looking into it!

Hi emaleth,

Thanks for your post.

It's unusual for broadband to work and the phone not to.

It is always a good idea to check the phone alone without the Adsl Splitter. This will rule out the possibility that the Splitter itself is faulty. Please see below for more information on the Adsl Splitter & Filter(s) and the typical broadband /phonline setup.

From what you say, it is possible that the handset (phone set) may be the cause of this issue. If possible, can you test your phone on another phoneline.

If the phone is not working correctly, this would explain why you aren't able to make or receive calls and your broadband is still working.

Also, just ensure that is not private equipment connected to your internal phoneline setup. For e.g: A Sky box(s), fax, etc.

Temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For example: Long private telephone cables or secondary phone sockets in your house /premises.

Remove the Adsl Splitter and connect the phone directly to the main phone socket.

Let me know if you have tried the above quick handset and phone line checks. If still experiencing the same afterwards, PM your phone number or Account number and I will escalate this to our Phoneline Faults Team.

Further information on the ADSL Splitter is below :

The ADSL filter (single socket) should ONLY be used to connect your phone to a (Secondary) extension phone socket .The filters help to reduce noise and interference on the broadband line. They should not be used on the master phone socket (main drop point - mdp).

connect_filter.jpg

The ADSL splitter (double socket) allows the user to connect their modem, as well as their phone, into the main phone socket (mdp). The splitter divides the higher broadband frequencies from the lower voice frequencies, and allows you to use both broadband and phone at the same time.

connect_splitter.jpg

Please see our quick broadband checklist on the eircom Community Forum. This should help troubleshoot a broadband issue or set up your initial broadband modem.

Community.eircom.net

The standard broadband setup - Modem is connected to the Main phone socket (mdp) with the ADSL two-port splitter. This allows the user the option to connect a phone on the mdp also.

connect_splitter.jpg

Best Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Thanks Ant - I should have mentioned in my first post that I'd tried another phone and unplugged the splitter. It turned out to be a fault on the line, an engineer came out yesterday and all good now. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

emaleth wrote: »
    Thanks Ant - I should have mentioned in my first post that I'd tried another phone and unplugged the splitter. It turned out to be a fault on the line, an engineer came out yesterday and all good now. Cheers.

Great stuff emaleth,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

just curius if there is any plans to upgrade . i am on a 24mb and i am getting closer to 10 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Tow

It's unusual for broadband to work and the phone not to.

It can happen if one of the wires is shorted to ground.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

jamescc wrote: »
    just curius if there is any plans to upgrade . i am on a 24mb and i am getting closer to 10 at the moment.

Hi jamescc,

Can you PM me with your eircom telephone number or account number and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement