Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brownells

Options
  • 30-07-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Well lads hows it going I just though I would post this for anyone wanting to get parts etc.. I needed some different sized front sight posts for my new rifle and i wanted to get some different rear apertures. I rang the manufacturers of the sights to get them to send me some and they said they could'nt ship anything overseas[don't have the right licence]. So I went to brownells website, I have looked around on it quite a bit but never ordered anything anyways I found all the bits I needed and ordered them got all the stuff today only ordered it four days ago. Got free shipping on two orders for some reason and did'nt have to pay any duties happy days.I broke the order into two to keep it under the $100 limit. Anyway great place to get stuff i'll be ordering again. It was all packaged very well too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I order stuff from brownells on a regular basis but Ive never had a problem with a $100 USD limit. Where it comes into play is customs on this side of the pond. They can be award sending certain parts over where this week they will... next they wont and in a months time they will again.

Other than that I am very satisfied dealing with them over the years and would recommend them to anyone.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

This is why i kept it under $100 to be safe an export licence on parts is $250.

"There are a number of items which Brownells sells which need US State Department approval and an export license before they can be shipped out of the country. The regulations are complex and constantly changing but our staff is here to help you understand what is needed and will gladly work with you to correctly accomplish the task.

Generally speaking, items which usually need a license are:

Frames
    Receivers
    Barrels
    Barrel Liners
    Various other gun parts such as triggers, sears, ejectors, magazine tubes, scopes, and other items if the ordered amount is over $100.00 US."

And on the invoices at the end of them they have this

"ITAR EXEMPTION 123.17(a) NDR AES x20120724033504
    These commodities are authorized by the U.S. Government for export only to IRELAND for use by SAM BLAA BLAA. They may not be transferred, transshipped on a non-continuous voyage, or otherwise be disposed of in any other country, either in their original form or arfter being incorporated into other end-items, without the prior written approval of the U.S. Department of state."
    Seems all a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I think the opposite :P

I think "how can I make the most of shipping" so I add as much as I can afford in 1 box. During the good times there was no bother with VAT... never got stung for it but the last while Ive been caught every time.

The $250 fee isnt added to your shopping cart and you pay it at the end of the day. If you add parts yo our shopping cart (or even ring in the order) Brownells wont ship the parts without a licence which takes time to get.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

juice1304 wrote: »
    And on the invoices at the end of them they have this

"ITAR EXEMPTION 123.17(a) NDR AES x20120724033504
    These commodities are authorized by the U.S. Government for export only to IRELAND for use by SAM BLAA BLAA. They may not be transferred, transshipped on a non-continuous voyage, or otherwise be disposed of in any other country, either in their original form or arfter being incorporated into other end-items, without the prior written approval of the U.S. Department of state."
    Seems all a bit silly.

Well, yes and no.Its obviously a requirement from the previous UN arms reductions inititive to reduce arms falling into the wrong hands.But in the real world is failing miserably,as I doubt very much that AlQueida ,Libyan or Syrian rebels will go shopping at Brownells for the odd replacement sights for their AKs.:rolleyes:

All that is doing is satisfying some FedGov/UN types that Brownells is shipping this to somone in Ireland and its not restricted under SD/ITAR rules,and its not going to be diverted off to Angola or somplace.Or that its going to be built into some weapons system and sent onwards to some hotspot.Or that there is somone here doing mass strawman purchases and shipping it onwards.

Can they control this??No! Hence the safe gaurd of the 100dollar order.You are not going to buy much unrestricted stuff for that dollar amount,and then anything over requires the SD end user cert 250 dollar fees.
    In short noble and lofty ideals from the UN to benefit all mankind,translate into PITA laws and procedures for the law abideing worldwide,and do diddley to stop terrorists and bad guys getting state of the art weaponary whenever they want it.

Thank Fuk that last arms control talks fell thru in the UN last week.:eek:
    Had that got thru ,or if it does in the future,this little annoyance will be nothing in comparison.:mad:Imagine having to apply to that paragon of efficency, the UN for an import and export liscense for your order,then the ITAR crowd,then the State dept...Mostly all staffed by hand picked Gun haters!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

resurrection thread, yes
    but its exactly what Im looking to post and existing posters will see where they have added a contribution already.

volquartsen mkiii trigger kit or brownells
    both at $115 and $109.99, as its one kit, how can I order this? or can I?
    It exceeds the $100 limit. I cant see every other component of the kit seperately.

Does the €100 limit apply to the items purchase, but not include the postage cost?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

cerastes wrote: »
    Does the €100 limit apply to the items purchase, but not include the postage cost?
    Duties and taxes apply to the shipping too. IOW the total cost of the item and shipping.

Last thing i ordered was a set of comp dies and special bushings for hybrid bullets and the total cost was taxed on the items and shipping. Had to pay €50, but worth it as i could not get them elsewhere.

So when ordering factor in the cost of duties and if it is not applied then you are better off. Your order would be $225. The average cost of shipping from Brownells / Sinclair is $40. That is $265. Add in taxes and duties at 21.5% & 4%. That gives a total, in euro, of approx. €240.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Duties and taxes apply to the shipping too. IOW the total cost of the item and shipping.

Last thing i ordered was a set of comp dies and special bushings for hybrid bullets and the total cost was taxed on the items and shipping. Had to pay €50, but worth it as i could not get them elsewhere.

So when ordering factor in the cost of duties and if it is not applied then you are better off. Your order would be $225. The average cost of shipping from Brownells / Sinclair is $40. That is $265. Add in taxes and duties at 21.5% & 4%. That gives a total, in euro, of approx. €240.

Ok, the duties I wasn't sure, but 240 euros with duty 140% shipping and tax!, christ on bike!
    Still I was originally thinking of the US export limit to keep it under the $100 (US dollar mark).
    With the other duties adding to 240 Euro, I might just try keep a steadier aim.
    I can not see anywhere to buy an accurizing kit for a mkiii under the hundred dollars anyway. Might have to wait till Ryanair does cheap flights, travel there and bring it back by hand, if ever and make do in the meantime.
    I'd ask a relative to buy it, but I think they might be concerned about shipping stuff, plus then the word might get out about me owning "items" among relatives.

Is it ok for US resident/citizen to post these items if they purchased them and sent them to me as a gift (for my birthday)? any concerns or trouble there? I mean for them??
    Thats just a hypothetical out of curiosity in case it ends up being my only option, I prefer keep it quiet.

I've heard of people bringing a bunch of stuff back in a suitcase for their own use, any limits there that you know of?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I've heard of people bringing a bunch of stuff back in a suitcase for their own use, any limits there that you know of?

I think if it's less than €150 you're not required to declare it to customs. Anything over that and you're supposed to declare it (e.g. red channel at the airport) and pay the relevant taxes. I'm not sure of the limit though, since there's different limits for bringing it in yourself vs having it posted to you.

There are different limits for duty and VAT too, if I remember correctly and also even if you do declare it and the amount of duty/VAT payable comes under a certain amount then they won't bother collecting it.

It's complicated. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ok, the duties I wasn't sure, but 240 euros with duty 140% shipping and tax!, christ on bike!
    Still I was originally thinking of the US export limit to keep it under the $100 (US dollar mark).
    With the other duties adding to 240 Euro, I might just try keep a steadier aim.
    Yup.

The total cost of $225, plus say $40 shipping is $265 or €193. Take 21.5% for tax and 4% for duties and you're looking at an additional €50.

The easiest way to judge the taxes/duties on something is to take the total price, including shipping, and convert that directly to Euro. So if something is $300, then by the time taxes, shipping, and duties are added you'll be looking at roughly €300. It's rough but a decent guide.
    Is it ok for US resident/citizen to post these items if they purchased them and sent them to me as a gift (for my birthday)? any concerns or trouble there? I mean for them??
    Depends on the item, and if there are restrictions on it being shipped out of the states, regardless of taxes. Some stuff is simply not allowed to be shipped so a relative doing it might incur the wrath of the Feds over there.
    It has been done in the past, but the last 12-18 months have seen a serious clamp down on items coming in from outside the EU. Just do you homework first as if it's seized or stopped your out the item and the money.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Some years ago UPS delivered a parcel from the US, the driver couldn't understand why there was no VAT or duty to be collected. I told him not to worry about it and took the parcel. Later I noticed the the address was correct except they had stated the country as United Kingdom instead of Ireland. Apparently the parcel was sent to the UK, they saw it wasn't for them and put it in the box for Ireland, as it came in from another EU country, it avoided taxes.

• Advertisement

You can order things over 100 but you then might need an export licence.

juice1304 wrote: »
    You can order things over 100 but you then might need an export licence.

Thats what Im trying to avoid doing, at all costs,
    I'd rather spend the money on a seperate order under the $100, but where an item just touches over the hundred is where Im having a concern, whether to order or not.

I might try this via a gun dealer and see what the price is, in the event they are ordering items in some form of bulk or that it wont be seen as out of sorts with usual practice for them, i.e. order stuff in. Any charges applied might be less than the cost of paying a duty/export licence.

Ring brownells they will set you straight and they are very nice. A dealer will just want more money alot of the time. Depending on what it is they charge a % for the export licence instead of the flat 250 etc.. just give them a call and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 friendinAZ

I always wondered if the listed export restrictions on Brownells were the result of that stupid piece of poo poo un arms treaty. You answered my question. What a shame that international gun control is keeping you folks from enjoying a hobby. Brownells is a great company they are very pro gun and do a lot politically for the NRA and other political groups.

I'm fascinated by the struggle to be trusted with guns in Ireland. Do you have any pro gun organizations that lobby the government to make changes to the laws?

Advertisement