Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Have The Fear Something Chronic

• 30-07-2012 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

So, yeah.. I have the fear. I avoided it for most of the weekend by just continuing to drink everytime I felt it coming on, but now I finally have to face it. It's Monday morning, I'm in work, I woke up late and probably wasn't fit to drive to work.

Are weekend-long benders really worth it when I have this crippling fear in work, and I have so much to do? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I had the fear all day yesterday!

Yesterday i swore Id never drink again, today Im already planning a few drinks later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

You weren't stopped this morning and you'll be grand going home so nothing to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Had it yesterday, still struggling a bit today....it's a sign I'm old :(

kfallon wrote: »

Youre not are you?! :D HA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

no its not, a sign you're old is me

sober all weekend, sober now, :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

The only way to fix this fear is to drink more.. which means fear again eventually, or just deal with it. Can someone come over and spoon me, I'm needy

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    The only way to fix this fear is to drink more.. which means fear again eventually, or just deal with it. Can someone come over and spoon me, I'm needy

You need lots of water and a few ice pops! Be grand!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

2 late ones on Fri and Sat, not a wink's sleep last night just sweating and tossing and turning. Now I'm in work in bits, strange pains in abdomen, legs feel like they've been beaten with bats for hours. God I need to get my act together :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Are weekend-long benders really worth it when I have this crippling fear in work, and I have so much to do? :(

No. I can never work hungover its just torture so if I was going out I'd do it on Friday only to give me plenty of recovery time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

PM me you're address and if I'm anywhere near I'll come and spoon with you and make you tea and cook you food and watch documentaries until all the badness is gone away.
    I've a toucheen of the fear myself today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

syndeyfife wrote: »
    You need lots of water and a few naggins! Be grand!

FYP...

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    PM me you're address and if I'm anywhere near I'll come and spoon with you and make you tea and cook you food and watch documentaries until all the badness is gone away.

Will you come and spoon me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you even have fear chronically?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah the problems of drug addicts, rough stuff

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    2 late ones on Fri and Sat, not a wink's sleep last night just sweating and tossing and turning. Now I'm in work in bits, strange pains in abdomen, legs feel like they've been beaten with bats for hours. God I need to get my act together :(

*sniggers*
    No wonder you were sweating ;)
    I'd say it's fairly beetroot this morning :pac:

Less of your backchat you young whippersnapper :(

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Its about time ye 2 got a room

• Registered Users Posts: 7 waterlily23

I had the fear all day yesterday!

Yesterday i swore Id never drink again, today Im already planning a few drinks later!

:D So many times people swear they will never drink again. But then weekend comes and those words are forgotten ;)

You need lots of water and a few ice pops! Be grand!

I'm eating chocolate ice cream. Things are looking up.

yeppydeppy wrote: »

I want to watch cartoons :(

• Advertisement

I'm eating chocolate ice cream. Things are looking up.

I would recommend a couple of cans later on too if you can stomach it, will take the 'edge' off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Resolve is never stronger than the morning after it was weakest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Resolve is never stronger than the morning after it was weakest.

Wtf is up with Anono?

I'm more worried about him than the OP.

Being philosophical this early on a Monday morning can only mean one thing.

The Scientologists must have got him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Exercise is the solution to this (and eating properly, and not drinking too much alcohol). Get on your bike and go for a long ride; it burns off the flight-fight-or-freeze chemicals. You'll feel great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

:confused:
    Exercise is the solution to this (and eating properly, and not drinking too much alcohol). Get on your bike and go for a long ride; it burns off the flight-fight-or-freeze chemicals. You'll feel great.

And dehydratEs you more!
    The only solution to the fear is 12 cans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

By the fear you mean you fear you did something awful while drunk and don't remember it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I've heard people talk about it... But wtf is 'the fear'?? :confused:

Wtf is up with Anono?

I'm more worried about him than the OP.

Being philosophical this early on a Monday morning can only mean one thing.

The Scientologists must have got him!

Don't worry - it were from a movie what I stayed up late watching last night.

Naked.

(That's the movie title, I wasn't watching it naked. I had a sarong on.)

Abi wrote: »
    I've heard people talk about it... But wtf is 'the fear'?? :confused:

Getting so drunk that you don't remember the entire night, and then fearing you might have done something stupid/horrible during those minutes of memory loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Then there's the other "only way", which is to give up the drink and become tea-total like I did, and laugh at people telling everyone they've got the fear.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I have something chronic too *giggles*

The fear for me is that horrible uneasy feeling I get after binge drinking. It's not a fear of what you done during your binge, it's just a feeling of despair, depression, worry, anxiety etc. Help.

The only way to dissapate the effects of "the fear," is to have a good cry.

And a tug
    And a bag of greasy chips
    And watch a season of Sopranos
    Repeat untill fear is gone.

Having to work makes this difficult, so the only reasonable solution is to quit your job

The fear for me is that horrible uneasy feeling I get after binge drinking. It's not a fear of what you done during your binge, it's just a feeling of despair, depression, worry, anxiety etc. Help.

That's what I consider 'The Fear' too, it's a disaster to try and sleep with of a Sunday night :(

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Getting so drunk that you don't remember the entire night, and then fearing you might have done something stupid/horrible during those minutes of memory loss.

I'd say it's more than that. It's the sense of self-loathing and guilt that descends on you the day after a heavy session. There's this horrible feeling that you're wasting your life, your money AND you might have done something silly last night which you've yet to find out about.

• Advertisement

Everyone has different definitions, but I would consider the fear to be mostly crippling anxiety that I have done something stupid/detrimental to my reputation, worry etc.

Urban Dictionary Definition Here

That's what I consider 'The Fear' too, it's a disaster to try and sleep with of a Sunday night :(

Seriously NO sleep at all last night, now I just have this horrible feeling of stalesness. Nearly 32, single, flatsharing... God so much is wrong with my life :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I have the fear too.

The fear that at 31 I have found myself wandering aimlessly over the hill. When I look back, with binoculars, i can see you guys talking about "the fear" and other terms that I don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

[|QUOTE=BraziliaNZ;79979952]Will you come and spoon me?[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course.

This can be arranged - spongebob marathon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I have the fear from over the weekend as i didnt get nearly enough sex... and way to much sleep in the process...

To be resolved this weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hmmmmm. Seems to be many different interpretations of "The Fear". To me The fear is the anxiety you get, usually the evening of the day you get the hangover, its hard to explain, but you're very anxious, on edge and particularly vulnerable. It has nothing to do with worrying about something you may or may not have done while under the influence

The best thing to do to beat it is have a drink or got on a boat during rough seas. Both have the same effect.

faceman wrote: »
    Hmmmmm. Seems to be many different interpretations of "The Fear". To me The fear is the anxiety you get, usually the evening of the day you get the hangover, its hard to explain, but you're very anxious, on edge and particularly vulnerable. It has nothing to do with worrying about something you may or may not have done while under the influence

The best thing to do to beat it is have a drink or got on a boat during rough seas. Both have the same effect.

Or get some exercise!

Or get some exercise!

Not a popular option on a Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Seriously NO sleep at all last night, now I just have this horrible feeling of stalesness. Nearly 32, single, flatsharing... God so much is wrong with my life :(

32, single and flat sharing. You've obviously wasted your life up until now. No wonder you are a raging alcoholic. You'll probably get fired from your job and crash the car on the way home today.

I bet you didn't even see your mother this weekend...

How are the credit cards doing?

studiorat wrote: »
    32, single and flat sharing. You've obviously wasted your life up until now. No wonder you are a raging alcoholic. You'll probably get fired from your job and crash the car on the way home today.

How are the credit cards doing?

Don't have a credit card or debts, at least. I don't have a car. But there might be a bomb on the tube, peace and serenity at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I'm not alone!

Been counting down the minutes since I woke up this morning until I can leave work at a semi-respectful time :(

Also I think I may have brain damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

eat some beans

Seriously

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Or get some exercise!

Yeah and cut down your porklife too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Zumo Berry smoothy + Ginseng and Guarana..

Loads of water and 2 Hail Marys

xzanti wrote: »
    Zumo Berry smoothy + Ginseng and Guarana..

Loads of water and 2 Hail Marys

I really can't see how a smoothie will fix depression and anxiety. I think valium is supposed to be good for this type of thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement