Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Have The Fear Something Chronic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I really can't see how a smoothie will fix depression and anxiety. I think valium is supposed to be good for this type of thing.

It'll pass naturally my friend! You will be right as rain tomorrow if it is only The Fear you have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

faceman wrote: »
    Hmmmmm. Seems to be many different interpretations of "The Fear". To me The fear is the anxiety you get, usually the evening of the day you get the hangover, its hard to explain, but you're very anxious, on edge and particularly vulnerable. It has nothing to do with worrying about something you may or may not have done while under the influence

The best thing to do to beat it is have a drink or got on a boat during rough seas. Both have the same effect.

I thought only I got the fear. Its reassuring to know that its common enough to have a name. Sometimes it takes until Wednesday until it wears off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

faceman wrote: »
    The fear is the anxiety you get, usually the evening of the day you get the hangover, its hard to explain, but you're very anxious, on edge and particularly vulnerable.

Yes and sometimes also, your thumbs will go weird.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I really can't see how a smoothie will fix depression and anxiety. I think valium is supposed to be good for this type of thing.

If she had access to Valium she wouldn't be asking for our help :)

and for the record, diet has a huge impact on our state of mind, believe it or not.. Bananas for example are a natural anti depressant..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

kfallon wrote: »
    It'll pass naturally my friend! You will be right as rain tomorrow if it is only The Fear you have!

No, I can tell I wont be right again till about Thursday. I can never sleep when in this fragile state. Well hopefully one of these days I'll learn my lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The worst fear is when you wake up suddenly and realise you're not actually at home in your own little leaba, you have no idea how long you've slept or how you got to where you are but you have to get up now instead of just staying in bed and quietly expiring...

Yes and sometimes also, your thumbs will go weird.

I've never had that, explain

The vast majority of the symptoms of "the fear" are basically just hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

When someone goes on a bender, they are consuming vasts amount of sugars for hours on end (sometimes days) and you pancreas, liver and (especially) adrenals are on overtime bringing your sugars down and so when you suddenly stop .. you get a short spell of low blood sugar while your body re-balances.

Teenagers of course no nothing of this as they have brand spanking new adrenals that haven't been worn out over time.

And so, smoothies are perfect for hangovers that reason as they are full of the particulars vitamins (and sugars) your body is needing. Far better than juicing as that would just make you even more jittery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Bambi wrote: »

'Withnail and I' reference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Never had the fear, surely only people who regularly drink excessively get it?

'Withnail and I' reference

fuxache i thought it was something good

The vast majority of the symptoms of "the fear" are basically just hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

When someone goes on a bender, they are consuming vasts amount of sugars for hours on end (sometimes days) and you pancreas, liver and (especially) adrenals are on overtime bringing your sugars down and so when you suddenly stop .. you get a short spell of low blood sugar while your body re-balances.

Teenagers of course no nothing of this as they have brand spanking new adrenals that haven't been worn out over time.

And so, smoothies are perfect for hangovers that reason as they are full of the particulars vitamins (and sugars) your body is needing. Far better than juicing as that would just make you even more jittery.

Can we not just have a fry up and a ****? :(

:pac:

Not together btw :o

Bambi wrote: »

Two minutes of the following should explain all: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Confab wrote: »
    Never had the fear, surely only people who regularly drink excessively get it?

That's kind of been the point of the thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

OP, it's physical. You need to get exercise (bring water or a fizzy drink with you on a two-hour-long cycle. You need to eat better (plenty of greens and a balanced diet). You need to get some Vitamin D (cod-liver-oil tablets). You need to stop drinking alcohol altogether for a while at least.

And you need to stop worrying and start planning. Being 32, single and flat-sharing isn't a big deal in the times that are in it. But if you want to change that you have to plan your way out, rather than go crazy drinking and have it all crash in on you.

And for God's sake don't pay attention to people on Boards who make smart-alec comments mocking your pain. These are not your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It was called the horrors until the hipster kids got their hands on it.

Embrace it, once you know the worst thing in the world isn't going to happen, it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Price of Turnips

Quoted from Oxford(Dundalk) English Dictionary
    "The Fear"- when one is paralysed with emotional regret usually from the over stimulus of alcohol and or yokes in ones system.
    Modern North-Eastern medicine usually includes whinging to friends about a new life and future soberity etc or frequent a local ale-house and start the madness all over again!

OP you dont have anything chronic, your just "dieing" so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

a quilt, tea and tv box sets are the only things that can solve The Fear. If you can solve the Fear with more alcohol you dont have it; your either not there yet or you wont get it as your a functioning alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Terrible fear last night!

Had a really disturbing nightmare too...which actually would be a great (original) premise for a horror movie! :D

Definitely time to cut back again for a while.

It was called the horrors until the hipster kids got their hands on it.

Ya sure that's not periods you're thinking of there?

Hipster kids are a pestilence on mankind, no question about it but the fear actually came from Withnail & I also.

After it came out whenever someone felt panicky while smoking a joint, someone would inevitability joke that they had "the fear" but overtime it it just started being said whenever someone was going through alcohol induced DTs also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Terrible fear last night!

Had a really disturbing nightmare too...which actually would be a great (original) premise for a horror movie! :D

I had a nightmare too, woke up at 3am absolutely bricking it :( had to sleep with the light on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Quoted from Oxford(Dundalk) English Dictionary
    "The Fear"- when one is paralysed with emotional regret usually from the over stimulus of alcohol and or yokes in ones system.
    Modern North-Eastern medicine usually includes whinging to friends about a new life and future soberity etc or frequent a local ale-house and start the madness all over again!

OP you dont have anything chronic, your just "dieing" so to speak

:D

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I had a nightmare too, woke up at 3am absolutely bricking it :( had to sleep with the light on

God it's awful isn't it!? Would it have made a good film though!? ;)

The light on!? Jaysus woman! :pac:

God it's awful isn't it!? Would it have made a good film though!? ;)

The light on!? Jaysus woman! :pac:

In the nightmare, I was in a Stephen King novel!! In the nightmare I was googling the book to see what happened in the end, but I couldnt get away from the psycho chasing me long enough to find out how it ended.

I woke up thinking sh*t, is that actually a stephen king book?? But it definitely wasnt!!

Would be a great movie, wonder who'd play me....

In the nightmare, I was in a Stephen King novel!! In the nightmare I was googling the book to see what happened in the end, but I couldnt get away from the psycho chasing me long enough to find out how it ended.

I woke up thinking sh*t, is that actually a stephen king book?? But it definitely wasnt!!

Are you like your avatar? How about this fine actress

That sounds like a great nightmare! Great when you wake up and realise it wasn't real...

..unless my theory of dreams/nightmares preparing you for the same mental stress that may happen in the future is true! Then we're both f*cked! :pac:

Edit: Just remembered a text I sent the girlfriend last night! So out of character. God I'm idiot with the fear!

Also, I wonder does EdenHazard's fear entail never getting a shag on a night out again!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I always thought The Fear was the same as having a panic attack which from personal experience frightened the life out of me but I have never had The Fear as described on this thread and Im 41 and considering I have just done a 2 day bender for stag and am in work and still not got it must mean I am immune to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    So, yeah.. I have the fear. I avoided it for most of the weekend by just continuing to drink everytime I felt it coming on,

Hello alcoholism.

gazzer wrote: »
    I always thought The Fear was the same as having a panic attack which from personal experience frightened the life out of me but I have never had The Fear as described on this thread and Im 41 and considering I have just done a 2 day bender for stag and am in work and still not got it must mean I am immune to it :D

Delayed fear. It'll get you.

That'll learn ya for being smug, good and proper :p

LordSmeg wrote: »
    No. I can never work hungover its just torture

Plus, I'm COMPLETELY incompetent when hungover and, believe it or not, actually want to do my job well all the time, so no work hangovers for me please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Plus, I'm COMPLETELY incompetent when hungover and, believe it or not, actually want to do my job well all the time, so no work hangovers for me please!

Wha? Get out ye sap.

To the non high horsers suffering from varying levels of the fear - I too would love some spooning action as I might cry... I've made it this far though. Three hours and I am a ghost to this place.

• Advertisement

We should form a support group. 6 o clock, down the pub?

Lovely.

Wha? Get out ye sap.

I too would love some spooning action as I might cry...

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

A thanks and rolly eyes? I'm confused?! Don't make my day worse, please.

Rarely so bad of a monday, but been out since thursday so I'm crippled with it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

I had the fear saturday morning.... I remember while swiggin on a quadruple vodka and OJ friday eve that it would be a great idea to add loads of x Girlfriends to my facebook and send them messages along the lines of the following

"Hai.. no way hows u lung time hun any sca wiv ya"
    "jebuz no way juz creepin thru fb seen u der thought might say hI"

needless to say my facebook profile has still not been reactivated :o:o:o

A thanks and rolly eyes? I'm confused?! Don't make my day worse, please.

Rarely so bad of a monday, but been out since thursday so I'm crippled with it today.

Well this is awkward......

I thanked your post by accident and removed it just before you posted that :cool:

Well this is awkward......

I thanked your post by accident and removed it just before you posted that :cool:

Aw :(
    I was only joking about the sap comment anyway! *cries*
    The emotions are too much. I'm nice really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

i woke up once .....

Aw :(
    I was only joking about the sap comment anyway! *cries*
    The emotions are too much. I'm nice really!

You, my friend, are a mess:pac:

You, my friend, are a mess:pac:

This is not helping my fragile state right now. I had to get public transport in this state.
    I can't wait to get home and hide.

• Advertisement

Are you like your avatar? How about this fine actress

I look nothing like her, but Ill take that. Shes one of my favourites :D

Wha? Get out ye sap.

To the non high horsers suffering from varying levels of the fear - I too would love some spooning action as I might cry... I've made it this far though. Three hours and I am a ghost to this place.

Not entertaining the idea of being hungover in work = being on a high horse?

MMMKay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

OP, it's physical. You need to get exercise (bring water or a fizzy drink with you on a two-hour-long cycle. You need to eat better (plenty of greens and a balanced diet). You need to get some Vitamin D (cod-liver-oil tablets). You need to stop drinking alcohol altogether for a while at least.

And you need to stop worrying and start planning. Being 32, single and flat-sharing isn't a big deal in the times that are in it. But if you want to change that you have to plan your way out, rather than go crazy drinking and have it all crash in on you.

And for God's sake don't pay attention to people on Boards who make smart-alec comments mocking your pain. These are not your friends.

I think you've merged 2 posters together there! I'm 23, and female! The poster who talked about being 32 and single is BraziliaNZ I think?

I eat well and exercise, however I know that some Boardsies have to have had the fear at some point.. So I want to bith and moan on a public forum :D
    We should form a support group. 6 o clock, down the pub?

Lovely.

Monday club!
    Hello alcoholism.

I highly doubt going on a two day bender would qualify as alcoholism, considering I only go out once a month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have a crippling case of The Fear, and I have recently emigrated. Foreign Fear.

I don't think box sets/tv/ pjs help at all. The only fix is a serious spooning, and I have no one in the world to spoon.

this thread cheered my up, and then back to No Comfort In The World.

Not entertaining the idea of being hungover in work = being on a high horse?

MMMKay.

You are a little bit high-horsey in fairness. Fair enough you wouldn't be hungover in work, but that's your choice. This thread is not "What do you think of drinking the night before work".

Don't be condescending because you don't agree with someone.
    I have a crippling case of The Fear, and I have recently emigrated. Foreign Fear.

I don't think box sets/tv/ pjs help at all. The only fix is a serious spooning, and I have no one in the world to spoon.

this thread cheered my up, and then back to No Comfort In The World.

That is the only thing that will fix it. Hardcore spooning.

You are a little bit high-horsey in fairness. Fair enough you wouldn't be hungover in work, but that's your choice. This thread is not "What do you think of drinking the night before work".

Don't be condescending because you don't agree with someone.

In my first post, I said I don't do work hangovers because it makes me incompetent. Which is true. I haven't done it for maybe 6 years, Which is also true. Only in Ireland would this be seen as high-horsey. I never said anyone else had to follow suit. Defensive, much? You have a self-inflicted hangover. Get over it and stop whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Is The Fear contagious?

I never heard of it until about 3 years ago, now everyone seems to be catching it.

In my first post, I said I don't do work hangovers because it makes me incompetent. Which is true. I have done it for maybe 6 years, Which is also true. Only in Ireland would this be seen as high-horsey. I never said anyone else had to follow suit. Defensive, much? You have a self-inflicted hangover. Get over it and stop whinging.

It's my hangover and I'll whinge if I want to!

That's totally fine, and I agree I'm not productive with a hangover either. But I started this thread about my hangover. So that kind of implied I'd be talking about it!

In fairness, I'm not whinging. I do think, however, if you say that going on a two day bender is alcoholism, you are very wrong.

Monday club!

That will only worsen your fear when you stop drinking

It's my hangover and I'll whinge if I want to!

That's totally fine, and I agree I'm not productive with a hangover either. But I started this thread about my hangover. So that kind of implied I'd be talking about it!

In fairness, I'm not whinging. I do think, however, if you say that going on a two day bender is alcoholism, you are very wrong.

You're taking that comment too seriously.

So, you started the thread about your hangover. But who knows where a thread will go? And ANY complaining about self-inflicted malady is whinging. I acknowledge that of myself when I do it.

kfallon wrote: »
    That will only worsen your fear when you stop drinking

Trust me, I know! Been drinking loads of water, The Fear appears to be passing slowly now, I'm so busy in work I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. Will be having a big doorty dinner with chicken, mash and gravy and early to bed tonight :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement