Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation websites NYC

Options
  • 30-07-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi all
    Myself and three friends are planning to head to NYC next summer, as we are finished college we are not going on the j1 but on a 12 month intern visa, we are not planning on staying 12 months though.Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows of any sites to look at for accommodation, any i have seemed to look at are very expensive.I have heard of staying in college dorms but dont know where to look for that! Anyone with any info or help it would be much appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

How long are you planning on staying? Maybe Craigslist?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 nicolam009

we are planning on staying for about 3 months! Yea i will have a look on it, how come all the houses have no furniture yet are still dear! crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Standard in the US is to rent a place unfurnished. Doesn't help those who are only in the country a short time of course! Again, check craigslist or freecycle for cheap furniture.

NYC is one of the most expensive places in the USA to live, so "cheap" there will still be expensive elsewhere. Which neighbourhoods are you looking in? I'll move your thread to the USA (Living) forum, where hopefully people with specific NYC experience can suggest cheap options.

thank you for that! I dont mind where we live really as we can get the subway, i have been looking on craigslist and seen a few nice places around prospect park in brooklyn, but as we are not going to next year i cannot just book them now! it would be great to get some feedback as i like to plan ahead! thank you for your help so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Rental market in NYC is incredibly heated and cut throat! Good value apartments become available and within hours are gone.

You have zero chance of arranging an apartment this far ahead or remotely (a college dorm situation may be different).

Very few apartments come furnished and if you find one expect to find a hefty premium for this fact.

Closer to the time you may be able to find a short term sublet - this is prob your best option because no broker / land lord will do a 3 month rental.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies, i have managed to find a lovely apartment that will be free in may! I will keep looking as i might find something better value but for the price its very nice looking! relatives of mine lived beside it a few years ago so i know its a nice spot! Anyone have any good websites for finding a job in NY? Obviously I wont be able to find a job yet but i can keep an eye on the websites and apply next year! thanks for the help so far!

Advertisement