Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with a baby on Aer Lingus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

That wont be a problem. they'll just ask you how many pieces so they can label it accordingly.

thats good to hear. we actually wont be bringing the car seat but the recling seat attachement, so 2 pieces at most,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

We're flying in a couple of weeks with our baby, who will be two months old by then.

I don't use a soother and I'm wondering can I bring a bottle of formula through security or an unopened carton and sterilised bottle that she can suck on for take off and landing?

We are flying Ryanair...anything else I shld be aware of? We're going to use a collapsible buggy for the wkend and I know she has no baggage allowance.

But any tips or advice wld be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Scruff wrote: »
    What do they clasify as a buggy\stroller? We have one of those McLaren type strollers but would much prefer to bring the sturdier "buggy" that the car seat goes on..

We have one of those buggys and they just label the car seat and the pushchair part separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭ariana`

kildareash wrote: »
    We're flying in a couple of weeks with our baby, who will be two months old by then.

I don't use a soother and I'm wondering can I bring a bottle of formula through security or an unopened carton and sterilised bottle that she can suck on for take off and landing?

We are flying Ryanair...anything else I shld be aware of? We're going to use a collapsible buggy for the wkend and I know she has no baggage allowance.

But any tips or advice wld be appreciated.

You can bring a reasonable amount of food/liquid on board when it's for a baby, they may ask you at security to open each bottle and taste a little yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I'll be travelling soon with Aer Lingus with an infant (i.e. no seat on the plane for the baby). We have a buggy (Bugaboo) with a seat and a carseat. The carseat can clip into the buggy but not at the same time as the buggy's seat.

I'd like to avoid checking in any parts of the buggy, seat or carseat at the desk in order to avoid damage if it goes through the baggage system.

I understand that I can bring the buggy to the door of the plane and have it checked there and returned to the door on arrival at the destination. Can I bring both buggy+seat with the carseat to the gate and call it a "3 piece buggy"? Since both the seat and carseat can't be attached to the buggy at the same time I would need to carry one part through the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 erinineire

-K2- wrote: »
    I'll be travelling soon with Aer Lingus with an infant (i.e. no seat on the plane for the baby). We have a buggy (Bugaboo) with a seat and a carseat. The carseat can clip into the buggy but not at the same time as the buggy's seat.

I'd like to avoid checking in any parts of the buggy, seat or carseat at the desk in order to avoid damage if it goes through the baggage system.

I understand that I can bring the buggy to the door of the plane and have it checked there and returned to the door on arrival at the destination. Can I bring both buggy+seat with the carseat to the gate and call it a "3 piece buggy"? Since both the seat and carseat can't be attached to the buggy at the same time I would need to carry one part through the airport.

-K2- Did you ever find the answer to above? We will be flying Aer Lingus with an iCandy buggy/car seat and we were wondering if we'll be ok with the buggy frame and the car seat (we have not purchased a separate seat for the baby)? Ideally we would bring all three pieces like yourself (buggy frame, seat and carseat), but I would be surprised if we could get away with the three pieces!

Also, does anyone know if the bulkhead seats are worth requesting or would be be better off with a window/aisle seat?

Thanks.

erinineire wrote: »
    -K2- Did you ever find the answer to above? We will be flying Aer Lingus with an iCandy buggy/car seat and we were wondering if we'll be ok with the buggy frame and the car seat (we have not purchased a separate seat for the baby)? Ideally we would bring all three pieces like yourself (buggy frame, seat and carseat), but I would be surprised if we could get away with the three pieces!

Also, does anyone know if the bulkhead seats are worth requesting or would be be better off with a window/aisle seat?

Thanks.

It was straightforward enough. At checkin we told them that it was a 3-piece buggy and they labelled each of the parts for a gate check. We carried the seat frame through the airport with the baby in the carseat mounted on the wheels. I then dismantled the 3 labelled parts at the door of the plane; they took them when we boarded and then they re-appeared in Malaga airport at the gate again. Coming back we did the same, without any problem.

The advantage was that nothing went through the baggage system which carries a higher risk of damage. There is the bother of carrying the unused seat through the airport after checkin, but it is worth it. In addition there's no charge for gate-checking a buggy, even in the manner that we did.

Some tips: I brought a bungee-cord to strap the seat frame and wheels together at the gate. This was to avoid the chance of a mix-up with any other similar buggies. I'd also remove any loose padding or straps which could become dislodged.

A bulkhead seat will give you more room at the expense of having to put your changing bag etc. in the overhead for takeoff and landing. It's preferable to having a seat where the person in front reclines on top of you + baby.

Have a good flight!

-K2- Thanks very much for coming back so quickly! That's great that worked out for you and seemed really straightforward. I was afraid that we would be charged extra or have hassle just bringing the base and carseat, never mind the buggy seat. Thanks for the advise, we'll definitely take it!

Just a note: when booking the flights online you should specify that you are bringing a buggy (the option comes up when adding luggage etc), that way they know what to expect. There's no charge.

The bulkhead seats cannot be reserved online: you need to telephone Aer Lingus after booking to make the reservation. There is a small charge and it takes about 2 days for them to confirm.

Thanks for that. I've already booked, so I'll have to Manage my booking to see if I can add the buggy now, fingers crossed. Do you know what the cost is for the bulkhead travelling long-haul?

• Advertisement

erinineire wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I've already booked, so I'll have to Manage my booking to see if I can add the buggy now, fingers crossed. Do you know what the cost is for the bulkhead travelling long-haul?

If you've any issues with adding the buggy online then the Aer Lingus booking assistance line will sort it out.

For the short-haul to Malaga (albeit on a widebody A330 normally used for transatlantic) the bulkhead seat reservation cost was €20 in total for 2 adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's no need to specify you're bringing a buggy at the time of booking or to call the assistance line if you've already booked. All you need to do is tell them you have one at check in so you get a tag and then hand it over at the gate.

Oh I forgot to mention, for anyone travelling to Toulouse, they don't give you the buggy at the door of the plane. You have to wait for the buggy at the baggage reclaim, at the "oversized baggage" belt. Also, the buggy came out a good 25 minutes after our suitcases came out at the normal belt. So keep it in mind if you've booked onward transport (we only caught our train with 2 mins to spare!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Oh I forgot to mention, for anyone travelling to Toulouse, they don't give you the buggy at the door of the plane. You have to wait for the buggy at the baggage reclaim, at the "oversized baggage" belt. Also, the buggy came out a good 25 minutes after our suitcases came out at the normal belt. So keep it in mind if you've booked onward transport (we only caught our train with 2 mins to spare!)
    not only in Tolouse, this happens on arrival into Munich too, but there they bring it on a massive trolly with any skis/ bikes etc.
    You'd definitely want to not cut it too fine with any onward connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A lot of European airports seem to do that. There was a gang of us waiting for buggies on the last flight I had to mainland Spain after all the suitcases had already come out and the belt had stopped. I then saw they had come out on another belt, it was entitled Unusual Luggage or something odd like that, they were probably there ages, just nobody was expecting them there. In Switzerland they had also come out in a cage with ski equipment and bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Sorry this may have been answered already but we doing a short flight with aerlingus soon - just 1hr. Not checking in bags. Can you have a hand luggage bag per adult and then the change bag also? I know u can bring the bottles - can u also bring thru about 4 sachets of baby food 125g each?

dublinlady wrote: »
    Sorry this may have been answered already but we doing a short flight with aerlingus soon - just 1hr. Not checking in bags. Can you have a hand luggage bag per adult and then the change bag also? I know u can bring the bottles - can u also bring thru about 4 sachets of baby food 125g each?
    Yes, the baby change bag counts as his hand luggage.

You can bring whatever baby food you like. You may be asked to open it to taste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Yes, the baby change bag counts as his hand luggage.

You can bring whatever baby food you like. You may be asked to open it to taste it.

A child under 2 years old is classed as an infant and has no baggage allowance.

flew with Aer Lingus last month and it was great. Great service and easy. I find security is generally easier going with a kid!!! everything is generally not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I think it's outrageous that they charge 20 euro for an infant and it gets not seat and no luggage allowance! Surely 20 quid could get you a kilo or two!
    That said I had a round trip with aerlingus and both ways they tried to block the seat next to me so I'd be more comfortable, they were really nice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ariana` wrote: »
    may ask you at security to open each bottle and taste a little yourself.

I've traveled a dozen times with the kids and.this has never happened. I think its an urban myth , why do you say this? Has this happened to you, or was it your sisters, friends, cousins housemate?

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    I've traveled a dozen times with the kids and.this has never happened. I think its an urban myth , why do you say this? Has this happened to you, or was it your sisters, friends, cousins housemate?
    It's in the terms and conditions of the airline AFAIK. Also this is what they say on the DAA webpage:

"Hand Baggage FAQs
    Can I bring baby food/milk through security?Yes, baby food or food for people on special diets is exempt from the new regulations. Passengers are allowed to bring these items through the screening points in the quantities needed during their trip.Passengers may be required to demonstrate that what they are carrying is real and for genuine use and not something less innocent."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

ted1 wrote: »

Definately not an urban myth.
    We flew with the baby for the first time last month and we were asked to taste the formula on the way back in Bristol airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I agree not an urban myth!
    I was asked to take out and taste bottles that I didn't even have! :rolleyes: But because I had a toddler with me they INSISTED I must have bottles... duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kildareash wrote: »
    Definately not an urban myth.
    We flew with the baby for the first time last month and we were asked to taste the formula on the way back in Bristol airport

has happened us as well in the past at dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pmeeg04

Hi guys.. My partner and I are taking our baby with us to Chicago in November. Max will be 16months then. Do we have the option of purchasing him a seat, or does he have to sit on our laps as he wont be 2 yet? Also if we can buy his seat, does he have to have a car seat with that or is it optional?

Thanks, Phil

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

pmeeg04 wrote: »
    Hi guys.. My partner and I are taking our baby with us to Chicago in November. Max will be 16months then. Do we have the option of purchasing him a seat, or does he have to sit on our laps as he wont be 2 yet? Also if we can buy his seat, does he have to have a car seat with that or is it optional?

Thanks, Phil

Once the child is under 2 years of age- they can sit on an adult's knee for the flight for a 20 Euro fare (each way) for European flights- or 10% of the adult seat price for US flights.

If you wish to put the child in a seat on his or her own- they have to be in a properly certified car seat- for US flights it has to have an FAA sticker and must display these words- "Certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft". For Intra EU or EU bound flights- it must have a CE Sticker with the words. "Certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft".

Some Aerlingus staff will tell you the use of a car seat is optional- others will tell you its obligatory- one way or the other- you are supposed to notify the company as far in advance of the proposed trip- when travelling with a child under 36 months of age- on the e-mail address:

specialassistance@aerlingus.com

They will advise of any specific requirements- along with how they may be able to assist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyone been on an Aerlingus flight recently- with experiences and/or information to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yep. What would u like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Anyone been on an Aerlingus flight recently- with experiences and/or information to share?

Yes, a couple of weeks ago.
    It wasn't bad, and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Yep, in July. Kids are a bit older now (2 & 4) but still a brilliant experience. Staff was fantastic on both flights, we got front row seats, priority boarding with small kids, got to check our hand luggage in for free, and got to meet the pilots! :)

The only dampener - we checked in our kids' trunky suitcases (little ride ons made from a hard plastic shell) to save us lugging them around the airport, and whatever the ground staff did to them, they managed to break a wheel off one and crack the base of the second. Aerlingus a little slow with their response, and a little awkward (you can only correspond with that department via snail mail - very 1980ies...)

Advertisement