Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with a baby on Aer Lingus

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Due to fly with them in Oct. Little one will be 4 months old. Just wondering about buggy. Have heard they can be quite rough with them. Paid a small fortune for ours so would be disgusted if it got damaged. How did you find them in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

Travelled from cork to Spain with aer lingus in June so relatively short flight.
    Same as you, buggy very expensive and my little one was 6 months at the time so would have been lost in a stroller.
    I decided to buy a travel bag from the buggy manufacturers. They guarantee the buggy in the case as long as you pre register it before your flight.

Glad I did! The bag looked like it had been flung around the place with dirt & scuff marks and even had a small tear on it.
    It was expensive (around €110) but I will sell it with the buggy when I sell it. Also I know I'll get the use out of it again at least another two times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

pmeeg04 wrote: »
    Hi guys.. My partner and I are taking our baby with us to Chicago in November. Max will be 16months then. Do we have the option of purchasing him a seat, or does he have to sit on our laps as he wont be 2 yet? Also if we can buy his seat, does he have to have a car seat with that or is it optional?

Thanks, Phil

Yeah just say he's a child over 2 when you're buying the flight, you aren't asked to input date of birth for children over 2 when booking flights, and nobody asks you for ID when you fly (I've done this recently with Aer Lingus - buying a seat for a child who's nearly 2). You'll see when booking on the website there's an option to say it's a child under 2 (in which case no seat is assigned and you have to input date of birth) or a child over 2 (in which case you are assigned a seat for the child and pay a full adult fare for them and no date of birth is requested) Your toddler can then sit in the seat as normal with their own belt. You can bring a car seat on board but I've seen people get hassle from the AL flight attendents when they do this. From what I could see they were making the parents put the child on their lap for take off and landing and then they were allowed back in the (car) seat. Maybe that's because the flight attendents knew that the child was under 2 years of age (it was obvious). So for your child who will be old enough to sit in the seat on his own, the car seat is optional. If you want to bring a car seat with you for your holiday then you can check it in for free as part of a '2 part' or '3 part' buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Gmail wrote: »
    Travelled from cork to Spain with aer lingus in June so relatively short flight.
    Same as you, buggy very expensive and my little one was 6 months at the time so would have been lost in a stroller.
    I decided to buy a travel bag from the buggy manufacturers. They guarantee the buggy in the case as long as you pre register it before your flight.

Glad I did! The bag looked like it had been flung around the place with dirt & scuff marks and even had a small tear on it.
    It was expensive (around €110) but I will sell it with the buggy when I sell it. Also I know I'll get the use out of it again at least another two times.

Buggy came with a dust cover bag. Wouldn't absorb any impact but might stop it being scratched?

I assume you're able to bring bottles of milk through security? 100ml rule doesn't apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yes when a baby with you, you can bring whatever you need fluid wise as long as they're vaguely baby related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not Aer Lingus, but when I flew back from Dublin to Heathrow with BA my son's gate checked buggy was left out in the rain for ages and we got it back with an absolutely soaked seat. BA cabin crew ended up padding it out with blankets to make it usable and the fact that it was 30c when we landed meant it dried quickly but a bit more due care and attention would have been nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Buggy came with a dust cover bag. Wouldn't absorb any impact but might stop it being scratched?

I assume you're able to bring bottles of milk through security? 100ml rule doesn't apply?
    They may make you open them and get you to taste them. (I've seen it happen before).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I always bring a large travel strap for the buggy when traveling. When I fold it down I put the strap around (have the length pre measured before we go to airport). Have seen instances where the buggy popped open and the handlers had no idea how to fold it back down properly and break if trying to force it.
    Didn't bother with a case or anything around mine and it's been fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

They may make you open them and get you to taste them. (I've seen it happen before).

They have a machine to test the liquid and food for babies. Never seen anyone having to taste it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

They have a machine to test the liquid and food for babies. Never seen anyone having to taste it.
    Perhaps it's changed so. People just a single page back in this thread said it happened to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got stuck in Dublin Airport T2 security behind someone who had to taste all 8 bottles of breast milk she'd packed around 3 years ago, but when I came through T1 with one bottle a couple of weeks ago it was just taken for testing.

Advertisement