Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad & e-books for first years

Options
  • 30-07-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

My daughters school has given the option of Ipads with e-books or standard books.
    The school does not want them to be able to access the internet just to use as an e-reader but have discounted andriod/windows and e-readers like kindle.
    Also it is not a requirement so some kids will be using standard books and others the Ipads so not sure how it will work.
    Am worried will she be the odd one out if I don't get the Ipad? Also not all her books are available as e-books and workbooks must be purchased as hard copy too.
    Has anyone had any experience of Ipads in secondary are they worth it?
    Is it better to buy direct from Apple?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sara16

Same story is happening in my school.. Thought this might not answer your question properly about your daughter feeling like the odd one out but here I'm sure there will be people with iPads and people with standard books so she won't be the only one with what ever option you go with :)

I also want to give you my opinion on it and my insight.. When I was going into first year I had to stick with the books.. By the end of third year (back in may ) I was emptying my locker and bringing all the books and exam papers home.. I put each one of the bags on the weighing scale and they added up to 30kgs.. It's a killer to carry all the books around for 3 years..personally I would stick with the iPad if your financial situation allows for it you know :)

Sorry for making this so long but hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

i'm starting third year and the amount of books we carry around are ridiculous!! i go to a brand new modern school one of the most modern in ireland we told and i cannot understand why this hasn't been unrolled. we already pay €150 each year for book rental so i think if these fees were put towards ipads would it not make a lot more sense??

i know i didnt help but thats just my opinion!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 krisbecs

yes I do agree with the weight of bags being way over the top and am aware the department of education has circulars they send to schools to remind teachers of the weight of bags maybe you guys should raise the topic in school as teachers do not generally consider you may have homework from 7 or 8 other classes when they give you theirs.

But the expense is huge the cheapest Ipad is €399 (Ipad 2 already out of date) and if that were the only cost I would say fine but you have to plus on:
    insurance & case (€200)
    the the cost of the e-books (€379)
    on top of that I am looking at approx €1000 plus her uniform which if she has just 1 of everything (coat, skirt, jumper, track suit, hoodie, blouse, polo shirt, shorts, tie, trousers, school socks and shoes) costs about €300-€400 and then sports gear, art materials, copies, pens etc. registration €150 & family fee €150
    All in all to have her set for day 1 of 1st year it's costing around €1500-€1650 minimum (that's best part of a months wages)
    Then the worry of it breaking or being stolen which I have heard of happening in many schools. But I guess like most other parents I will have to get a loan to cover the costs and hope the school has the right systems inplace to ensure that she gets the best use from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sara16

We brought it up in my school so many times and the teachers always told us that they can't do nothing about it :mad:

And the costs sound so much like my school! Piper's hill by any chance? :D

I remember my school told parents about getting a loan from the credit union for the iPads and stuff which you can break up for 3 years or some so it could be a good idea:)

And at the end of the day the iPad is an investment in education but also your daughters health ( not trying to be biased towards any options, just my experience) as I myself get back pains more often with the amount of books to carry..

And hm.. You're worried about it getting broken or lost.. I suggest talk to your daughter about what an expense it is to you and how she must show the iPad respect or she'll be stuck with books (if you decide to go with the iPad) or something along these lines.. :):)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We had two classes with iPads last year in our school - only one iPad was slightly damaged and that happened at home.

As a teacher, I find they offer far too many distractions if there is Internet access with them, though they are fantastic for using like a Kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

While I do think that the weight of the books you carry around for the junior cert is shocking (I managed to break three bags in my junior cert years), I believe that standard books are better than ebooks. In my school we all have to use standard books and I'm glad. I'd much rather get my education from normal books... To me the whole idea of ebooks and kindles is just too weird.

Advertisement