Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instrument for a 5 year old

Options
  • 30-07-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for a musical instrument for my 5 year old to take up. She's showing a real love for music and (proud parent bias aside) a real artistic nature in general.

On the flip side I don't want something that's going to melt everyone's head in the house when she's practising. She said she wants to be able to play the electric guitar like Jack White (White Stripes). Can you get kiddy sized electric guitars? Lessons? She's also interested in the drums.

I'm open to anything though. Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drums will wreck your head, it's one of those instruments that is fun to play for hours but a pain listening to for more that 5 mins.

A guitar is a good idea, get her one with nylon strings as metal strings can be harsh on the fingers. Start her on twinkle twinkle and similar tunes you can also do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tin Whistle,Guitar or Piano are good to start with.

We are having the same issue at the moment with th 3 year old but she wants to learn everything:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

if she's into guitar why not start on the ukelele- it only has four strings and they're dirt cheap to buy so she can learn the basics and see if she's really into it before progressing. Imho 5 is still very young for taking formal music lessons, its more about giving it a go and enjoying it rather than learning scales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Piano/keyboard, 5 isn't that young to start formal lessons at all, as lessons are tailored to age. Stringed instruments are good but it can be hard to explain to a 5 year old they they are meant to get callouses. Other then clarinettist/tin whistle/recorder the rest of the wind/brass instruments can't be started until a child gets their adult front teeth.

I would honestly suggest a keyboard and a pair of headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

There are excellent, and relatively inexpensive, electronic drum kits available so you don't have to rule out drums, e-drums played through a pair of headphones are much less irritating than most other musical instruments.

But acoustic Guitar is a good option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Piano would be the best start, she can then take up a second one later on
    it's generally an important one to have some competency on piano

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

You could definitely start her with acoustic guitar now - generally cheaper than an electric as well so it would give her a chance to make sure she enjoys it before moving on if she wanted. At 5 or 6 you're probably looking at a 3/4 size guitar for her - I started when I was 6 and had a 3/4 size until I was about 11 or 12. Your hands aren't big enough to stretch. Also make sure and get a nylon string one - much better sound without amps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Guitars/fiddles etc need to be tuned almost each time she would play, piano only needs to be tuned once a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm edging towards the keyboard / piano at the moment and this....
    Sharrow wrote: »
    I would honestly suggest a keyboard and a pair of headphones.

... is definitely a large part of the consideration.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A missed note on a piano just sounds like any other note but out of place. This is not so for the bagpipes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Khannie wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm edging towards the keyboard / piano at the moment and this....

... is definitely a large part of the consideration.

i wouldn't say a keyboard for piano classes at all, it's pretty different, but you can get pianos with headphone things
    i dont know are they digital or electric or what - http://www.pianogallerydirect.com/piano-with-headphone-jack.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Electric drums would be a good idea.
    You are never too young to learn to play a guitar. You can get them in smaller sizes. A 2/4 would be perfect for her.
    Keyboard, Bodhran, tin whistle, violin.
    You are never, never too young to learn an instrument. But remember when learning as a child it is all about the fun of learning. Not drilling chords etc. into them

Advertisement