Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furnishings of an apartment

Options
  • 30-07-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I am living in a 3 bed apartment at the moment. The two other tenants have been there long term (not exactly sure how long) and are moving out before the lease is up. They are finding people to take over their places on the lease.

They own most of the furnishings in the apartment. Once they move out there will be no furniture in the sitting room and I was just wondering would the management company/landlord be responsible for furnishing the apartment or would it be up to myself and the new tenants?

Also if I sign a twelve month lease would I be legally entitled to find someone else to take my spot if I decided I wanted to move before the lease was up?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

dubh laoch wrote: »
    Once they move out there will be no furniture in the sitting room and I was just wondering would the management company/landlord be responsible for furnishing the apartment or would it be up to myself and the new tenants?
    No legal onus on LL to provide one stick of furniture in a property. It's between you and the LL what you agree to sign upon. If you want fully furnished and the LL is not offering it, you may have to furnish yourself or move to furnished accomodation. Obviously non-furnished properties should cost less than furnished in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dubh laoch wrote: »
    They own most of the furnishings in the apartment. Once they move out there will be no furniture in the sitting room and I was just wondering would the management company/landlord be responsible for furnishing the apartment or would it be up to myself and the new tenants?
    Generally speaking it's up to you, unless the lease you sign says that the landlord is supplying furniture.
    Also if I sign a twelve month lease would I be legally entitled to find someone else to take my spot if I decided I wanted to move before the lease was up?
    Legally entitled, no. Legally if you sign the lease for 12 months, then you are bound to that 12 month period.

In practice a landlord is usually happy enough to sign a new lease with a new tenant, provided that you do the legwork. But you have no legal entitlement to break a lease by finding a new tenant.

Advertisement