Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oil for chainsaw mix

• 30-07-2012 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

i some times get the "one shot" oil bottles that you can mix with petrol for the chainsaw mix. these are a bit on the expensive side. Could you use any 2 stroke oil to make a chainsaw mix? eg in the local petrol station the have a litre of 2 stroke engien oil. This would work out a good bit cheaper than the one shot bottles if I could use this in a mix. any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

viztopia wrote: »
    i some times get the "one shot" oil bottles that you can mix with petrol for the chainsaw mix. these are a bit on the expensive side. Could you use any 2 stroke oil to make a chainsaw mix? eg in the local petrol station the have a litre of 2 stroke engien oil. This would work out a good bit cheaper than the one shot bottles if I could use this in a mix. any advice appreciated.

Of course you can - some will have little marks on the side so that you can gauge how much oil to put into your 5 litres of petrol. Other than that, you could always get a mixing drum.

silverline-633920-2-stroke-fuel-mixing-00086128S.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try and get oil thats rated for Air cooled two strokes.
    Not all two stroke oil is the same, Outboard two stroke is not suitable, its designed for cooler temps than chainsaws and strimmers.
    I would suggest buying a litre from a shop that sells two stroke equipment rather than garage stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Jonsered sold a litre bottle which you could squueze enough for 5l mix @50/1.

Was much cheaper than the 1 shot stuff but still very convenient.

Can't find it in any local stores now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

All the chainsaw stores will have the litre can that you squeeze up the required amount into a dispenser, like the pour-on wormer.
    I used to use the garage stuff, but blew a piston on the saw.
    Only ever use the Stihl 2-stroke now and never a problem.
    Even if it is more expensive, repairing a saw is not cheap, so cheaper in the long run:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

100% agree with you...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

How much do the one shot and 1 litre measure bottles cost here (typically)?
    When I got my saw she threw in a couple of shot bottles so I'm not aware of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

1 shot is €2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A litre of good oil is around 15 euro or so, thats synthetic oil not mineral.
    Mineral probably closer to 12.
    I like the ALCO brand synthetic oil in a black bottle, blue tint is easy to see when its mixed and runs very clean.

Advertisement