Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Agent woes....

Options
  • 30-07-2012 2:00pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We went on holidays booked through a travel agents a few weeks back. Originally we had booked to rent a certain sized private villa, only to be told a few days before we flew out that we'd have to settle for a smaller house. We were annoyed but the option presented to us was to take it or cancel the holiday. We informed them that, obviously, we would want a refund of sorts to cover for the fact we paid for one thing and then we were being downgraded. The agency agreed and told us they'd post out a cheque straight away.

6 weeks later, and it's not arrived. We sent a formal letter of complaint to the agency after we got back (not just asking for the refund but detailing some other problems we suffered as well, least of all being another family arriving on our doorstep two hours after we arrived telling us they too had been assigned the house and there being a conflict over which of us were getting to stay) and we've not heard any word back from them. The letters were sent about a week and a half ago.

I know we probably have to give them a little more time with regards getting a reply, but we're curious what we can do, if anything, if they choose to ignore us (which, given our dealings with the agency, is not beyond the realms of possibility; in the run up to the holiday, we were constantly fobbed off, being told we'd get called back and rarely actually getting said calls). The amount owed really isn't all that much. But I'm curious to know what advice people will give with regards trying to deal with the agency.

....other than "Don't book a holiday with them again!" of course :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Holidays are one of the only areas you'll get awarded damages for emotional distress - I normally would tell people to get a grip in 99% of circumstances but given the hilarious case law on the subject perhaps some good old fashioned hamming up and threats of a trip to the District Court might me in order.

Note my name may have law in it but this is not legal advice. I am neither qualified nor insured to do so. My advice is based on what I would do as a consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Did you notify the travel agent about these other problems while you were away?
    If you haven't, you can't claim for them now. You always have to complain straight away.
    For the smaller house, go to the Small Claims Court if you don't get a reply from the agent (but check what you signed when you agreed to the smaller house, just in case they sneaked something in about you not getting a refund for it.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They agreed to a refund so they must give one. If you complained or tried to complain about the othernissues while on holiday you can seek compensation for those now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I wonder why they're playing for time with the refund .... imminent company windup perhaps?

Anyway, I'd send one more letter to the agent, stating that if they do not refund you the agreed amount within 10 days, you intend to file a claim in the Small Claims Court. Then if they don't respond, submit your claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

discus wrote: »
    Name and shame.

Please do not do this

dudara

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

mdebets wrote: »
    Did you notify the travel agent about these other problems while you were away?

Yeah, we made sure to contact them and voice out annoyance at the things that bothered us.

Should clarify we never asked for any sort of damages for emotional distress. We simply asked for the refund owed due to them downgrading us from what we paid for originally, and voiced our annoyances over the other problems as well. We didn't mention wanting MORE money or anything for the other problems. We just, out of principal more than anything else, want the original refund promised to us a few weeks back.
    Oracle wrote: »
    I wonder why they're playing for time with the refund .... imminent company windup perhaps?

Anyway, I'd send one more letter to the agent, stating that if they do not refund you the agreed amount within 10 days, you intend to file a claim in the Small Claims Court. Then if they don't respond, submit your claim.

Would that cost much? Truthfully, I worry it would cost more to persue them than we are owed. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yeah, we made sure to contact them and voice out annoyance at the things that bothered us.

Should clarify we never asked for any sort of damages for emotional distress. We simply asked for the refund owed due to them downgrading us from what we paid for originally, and voiced our annoyances over the other problems as well. We didn't mention wanting MORE money or anything for the other problems. We just, out of principal more than anything else, want the original refund promised to us a few weeks back.

Would that cost much? Truthfully, I worry it would cost more to persue them than we are owed. :P
    Small Claims Court costs €25 in total

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cool, thanks :D

Advertisement