Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it ok to strike a girl under certain circumstances?

• 30-07-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

At what point is it ok for a bloke to strike a girl?

I witnessed something on Saturday night in Club Hell, there was a girl at the bar, she was real aggro and elbowing anyone that was near her, a bloke went up beside her and ordered a drink. She let rip at him about skipping and started to kick him in the shins a few times. He looked to the barman, who said nothing, he said something to her and she punched him in the face. He turned and grabbed her and threw her to the ground. And then left as far as I could see...

Did the girl deserve it cause of her attitude?

There does seem to be a growing trend of a youngones been violent and throwing there weight around a bit these days. This venue was home to a violent attack not too long ago where a girl bit a lump out of another girls nose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Its never okay for a guy to hit a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

in self defence yes but only as a last resort, if you cannot walk away safely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For me, ONLY in life threatening self defence.
    (As it should be the other way around too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Only in the red room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I witnessed something on Saturday night in Club Hell, there was a girl at the bar, she was real aggro and elbowing anyone that was near her, a bloke went up beside her and ordered a drink. She let rip at him about skipping and started to kick him in the shins a few times. He looked to the barman, who said nothing, he said something to her and she punched him in the face. He turned and grabbed her and threw her to the ground. And then left as far as I could see...

Did the girl deserve it cause of her attitude?

There does seem to be a growing trend of a youngones been violent and throwing there weight around a bit these days. This venue was home to a violent attack not too long ago where a girl bit a lump out of another girls nose.

See bold for question and bold for answer. Actually not hit her back but what the guy did was acceptable IMO.

• Advertisement

If she's big enough to throw a punch she's big enough to take one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yes, she deserved it.

If someone is attacking you, then you have every right to defend yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

You get your missus to punch her for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

it would honestly be the last thing that should be tried. if there is anything that can be done to calm down an aggravated person (man or woman) that should be tried before turning to violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I say this as a female, I don't care who you are or what you are, if you hit someone then you should do so fully expecting to get a slap back, otherwise back off. Everyone has to right to protect themselves from bodily harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Mmmm I'll say yes.

I've seem some scumbag women punch men and attack other people for no reason, other than them just being scumbags.

A box is the least they deserve and if I were in a situation where some chav attacked me for an undeserving reason, I'd leave her on the floor and not feel the least bit guilty about it. Having long hair and a pair of jaabs isn't a free card to attack people without repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jester252 wrote: »
    The same should go for girls hitting guys too.

But, OP, self-defence seems to be the key exception to the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Yes.

On the ass...when she asks for it, literally I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Were they wearing rubber suits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Don't think it is right to hit a woman to be honest and I think most guys feel the same but it shouldn't give some women the right to feel that they can go arround attacking guys, I think the guy was right to push her to the ground especially after she punched him in the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Only if you have agreed a safety word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

When they scream "spank me!" is generally an acceptable moment to hit someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I don't care if someone has a penis or not, if they start attacking me, I will stop them using the minimum amount of force required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Come at me aggressively with a weapon, male or female, you're just a scumbag with a weapon and I'll do my utmost to drop you.

If no weapon, then just grappling + teep-kicks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

If a woman is about to axe your newborn to death I would recommend hitting her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In general I work on the principal that there is rarely a need to strike out at anyone guy or gal.

If they were just drunk and acting like twats that's different too, just keep away from them.

However when they start acting like skangers and I felt like I had no other option then I'd probably let fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yes. If she's wrecking your head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

if a girl punches me in the face with the intention of hurting me, shes getting knocked out. i dont care whether its a male or female if someone tries to intentionally cause harm to me i will hit back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What if she was to come at ya with something, like a bottle?

Of course, if you are being attacked that is.
    Equal rights means equal rights, so if she's prepared to hit you, then she should be prepared to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Of course, I would try to avoid it but if some bint went batshít crazy and attacking me I'd throw a few digs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Of course it's OK. But only in the same way it's OK to hit anyone - that is, only as a last resort and only with appropriate force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kick her in the nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Never hit a girl. But in this case it doesn't seem to be a girl at all. Girl's are sugar and spice and all things nice...this thing just seemed to be a cnut! Whack away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Equal rights, Equal fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Arguably he didn't hit her. Merely pushed her down when she hit him. Self defence. But I think it's also fair to say that even if it had been a man acting aggressively. It isn't right to hit back in that situation. Walking away is the best option. Not always the easiest. But getting into a fight is not the best thing to do in any situation.

Of course if you are in actual danger of serious injury. It's perfectly OK to defend yourself. Man or woman. But a woman throwing a punch isn't exactly going to put you in hospital.

But apart from anything else for any man in that situation. The danger is not the woman throwing the punch. Quite often, I've seen it, a woman will start something with a man and if he attempts to fight back. He finds himself at the receiving end of a good kicking from her male friends. Very dangerous.

As a kid something similar happened to me. I was cornered by a girl who was having a go at me. Throwing weak punches and mouthing off. Now I could taken her out with a couple of kicks and a punch or two. I had fought off tougher guys than her in my time. But she wasn't the problem. The problem was the gang with her. I knew exactly what would happen if I retaliated. I walked away embarrassed but uninjured.

The best option.

bluecode wrote: »
    But a woman throwing a punch isn't exactly going to put you in hospital.

Sexist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Using appropriate force is acceptable when the circumstances call for it. It doesn't matter who or what the person on the recieving end of it is.

Key word there being "appropriate". You don't respond to a punch by beating the daylights out of someone, but likewise you can't expect to use physical force against someone and not expect the same back.

Oh Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Self defense is ok. If a woman attacked me, i would try and contain her first and get her to calm down. If its not working then id hit her. If she had a dangerous weapon then id hit her straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

:eek: Apart from Katy Taylor! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Yes,but doing it in public wouldn't be a wise idea because 4/5 of people will label you as the bad guy even though you didn't start anything you were just defending yourself,pathetic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'da given her a patented 'open palmed slow punch' to the boobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Why?

Women parp on about equal rights and being treated the same as men, but statements like this make it seem like they want special rights. They either want to be treated the same or they dont. I really hate those women who think they need guys to slam a door in their faces to validate their own worth.

If its never ok for a guy to hit a girl then its never ok for a girl to hit a guy.

btw I am a woman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The worst thing a man can take from a woman is a box in the mouth....

*leaves a horrible taste*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It was widely reported Katie Taylor beat Paul O Connell in a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

yes,it is ok.İf they attack you then you can and should hit them.İf you want to ack like a man your going to treated like one.

The problem with the world these days is women have to much control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I doubt I'd ever hit a woman unless it was life threatening. But then again who knows unless your in the situation to be perfectly honest.
    Obviously it's never ok for a person to hit anyone regardless of gender, bit if a man got hit by a woman in the stomach for example and he punched her back, for me this would be far worse than him punching back another man. So I don't really find it equal, even though perhaps I should...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

If a girl hits you violently she deserves a slap back
    Women constantly go on about equality yet society deems it ok for a girl to beat a man yet if a man hits back he's a woman beater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

What if this girl was attacking your wife/girlfriend, I know what id do, and Id have no qualms over it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a bit of red herring topic (potentially a wind up?) because in the major majority of cases where men are in genuine physical danger, it's not going to be from a woman although that's not to say women don't attack men or play on the fact that most men won't clatter them back.

Technically speaking, then, if a woman hits a man, I don't really see a problem whatsoever with him hitting her back even if I probably would just hold them off myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Why not? regardless of the fact that a well placed (or lucky) shot can cause damage, with relatively limited force, women wear rings which would act as a condensed pressure point.
    the reduced surface area of a ring passes all the force of a strike to that one point, easily making up for any requction of initial force.
    Take a punch, from a woman, with an engagement ring on the jaw/cheek bone and expect potential for serious damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Ridiculous.

Why not?

Because he's a mans man, and women only slap you in the face whilst giving out a little "whimper".

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Yes its perfectly acceptable to give them a hard open handed slap in the face if they have punched you first. It'll sting them, humiliate them and they'll start bawling. She hit you first and you slapped her in retaliation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement