Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it ok to strike a girl under certain circumstances?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I actually think violence between men is something that is grossly under stigmatized. No man has the right to put his hands on another man in a threatening or intimidating way using physical strength, whether the subject of his anger is in any way disadvantaged or not.

The question in this thread is whether it is OK to strike a girl in certain circumstances, which isn't really what happened in the OP. In that case, I wouldn't consider that the man behaved in a way that was dramatically disproportionate, although simply detaining her and making a complaint about a physical attack might have been enough, and might have had more punitive consequences for her when she sobered up.

Physical violence perpetrated by man or woman against somebody going peacefully about their daily life is a cancer on our society and human relationships. It leads to so much distrust and suspicion between strangers, with wide reaching ramifications like chipping away at social cohesion or openness.

Let alone violence against women, I don't think violence in general is stigmatized half enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Absolute prissy rubbish.Some girls/women benefit from the odd clout.

You're quite the catch I'll bet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Never hit back.

Press charges and hit them where it really hurts! :D

Yeah I used to think that, then some tosser started mouthing at me in a nightclub years ago, I tried to tell him to relax and he gave me a headbutt.
    He was gone then and I was split open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Jester252 wrote: »
    Its never okay for a guy to hit a girl.

What a load of bull****, if some scumbag girl punched me in the face I'd break her nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Males are much stronger than female its a fact of life.
    Males are stonger then females? Generally, yes but as a definitive law? No. I think Miss Katie Taylor would dispute that. That raises an interesting hypothetical. If Katie Taylor (won't use her, not fair on the old girl) a woman much bigger and stronger than me (they exist you know :eek:) started punching the head off me and backed me into a corner where there was no escape, would I try to do anything to escape? Yes. I would swing out to escape this assailant yes. And I would hate if someone then castigated me because she's 'a girl'.

I think a lot of the posters here with the definitive, non budge stance of 'never ever hit a girl' are firstly stereotyping all girls into poor innocent dears that wouldn't hurt a fly. If that's the case then I think your stance isn't neccearily 'never ever hit a girl', it's 'never ever hit someone much weaker than you' which I'm inclined to agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Dave147 wrote: »
    What a load of bull****, if some scumbag girl punched me in the face I'd break her nose.

If some posh girl punched you what would you do?

hondasam wrote: »

The act of punching someone is what makes you a scumbag, not your accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Its never okay for a guy to hit a girl.

And I bet you think its okay for a girl to hit a guy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Goddamn right it's ok to hit a girl, but as everyone's already said only if she hits you first. If some girl came up to me at a bar and started kicking me and punching me I'd have no problem lamping her one in the jaw. Saying that, it'd take alot for me to hit anyone... girl or boy. Only if they really hurt me would I retaliate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Yes.

Fair play to that lad for sticking up for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Most of my friends are guys and if i hit them they will not hesitate to hit me back! Their reasoning behind it is that if men and women are equal then women deserved to be hit back if they hit first!

To be honest i agree with them as they make a point! It is a form of self defense if someone attacks you no matter what gender you do defend yourself.

In saying that, most of my friends are guys and they will never hit a woman unless they hit them first.

Mr.S wrote: »
    The argument that guys are stronger then girls is stupid as well, a few of my friends that are girls could kick the **** out of most guys.

Brings up the question, if a really tough girl (say Katie Taylor for example) hit you, would you hit her back and risk getting the **** kicked out of you by a girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Yes its perfectly acceptable to give them a hard open handed slap in the face if they have punched you first. It'll sting them, humiliate them and they'll start bawling. She hit you first and you slapped her in retaliation.

what about a karate chop to the throat?

Nice try Hondasam.

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    Brings up the question, if a really tough girl (say Katie Taylor for example) hit you, would you hit her back and risk getting the **** kicked out of you by a girl?

I wish people would stop mentioning Katie Taylor, she is a boxer so it's a bit different to your average woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I wish people would stop mentioning Katie Taylor, she is a boxer so it's a bit different to your average woman.

True, but people here have the idea that any woman bar none should not be touched. that woman automatically can't defend themselves. I think she's a good example to use. What some people here are saying is that it depends on the situation. I also dislike the way she keeps getting brought up but more so because it gives the impression that she's going around roughing up men. Can the Mod change the title perhaps to 'Is it ok to strike Katie Taylor under certain circumstances?'?

The act of punching someone is what makes you a scumbag, not your accent.

Not following you with the accent tbh.

My point was it's not just scumbags who punch people posh people are capable of it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Grembollino

Advisable if they panic on an aeroplane:

My point was it's not just scumbags who punch people posh people are capable of it also.

her point is not
    scumbag => hit people
    it is that it's:
    hit people => scumbag

regardless of background

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

How about no one hits anyone? Is that so hard?
    I've had the living crap beaten out of me before (by a man) and it was not fun.

"But if women want equality" - see the problem with this argument is that you are implying the only reason men don't hit women is because they don't see them as equal human beings.

But hitting someone does not affirm their equality, it takes it away.

bluewolf wrote: »
    her point is not
    scumbag => hit people
    it is that it's:
    hit people => scumbag

regardless of background

Ya but I still don't get the accent ref in relation to my post. I see what she is trying to say just not how she is trying to say it.

If you punch someone out of the blue.. you are a scumbag. Do you not agree with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Only in life threatening situation,
    That girl sounded an absolute mouth though.

Dave147 wrote: »
    If you punch someone out of the blue.. you are a scumbag. Do you not agree with that?

No I don't agree with that. One mistake does not make you a scumbag imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Mistake??? Please, tell me how that was a mistake

• Advertisement

Bullsh*t. Anyone who acts like the person in the OP is a scumbag. There's no "mistake" about punching someone in the face. Whether you're from Sallynoggin or foxrock. You punch someone for no reason, you are scum.

I think she is just looking to argue about this for the sake of it. If a woman punches a man (or anyone for that matter) in the face with the intention of hurting him/her in an unprovoked attack, they are a scumbag. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Yes its perfectly acceptable to give them a hard open handed slap in the face if they have punched you first. It'll sting them, humiliate them and they'll start bawling. She hit you first and you slapped her in retaliation.

She had no quams hitting a man with glasses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

She had no quams hitting a man with glasses!

Pretty sure she hit him with her hand.

Think Colin Farrell had it spot on! :D

• Advertisement

Pretty sure she hit him with her hand.

Maybe you need glasses so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Maybe you need glasses so ;)

It's nearly ten past 7.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Ideally, nobody should hit anybody.

Hitting somebody is only ok, imo, in self defense. I would also be of the opinion that any violence in self defense should be as little as possible. I think you should try to take into account the size of your adversary.

If somebody who is 5 ft 3 and 9 stone slaps somebody who is 6 ft and 13 stone then I think the bigger person could hit back if they could not contain their aggressor but not with full force punches.

Its gender neutral imo.

How about no one hits anyone? Is that so hard?
    I've had the living crap beaten out of me before (by a man) and it was not fun.

"But if women want equality" - see the problem with this argument is that you are implying the only reason men don't hit women is because they don't see them as equal human beings.

But hitting someone does not affirm their equality, it takes it away.

No the reason most men wouldn't hit women is because men evolved to be stronger and usually heavier than women so a man would do more damage to a woman if he hit her than he would a man, it's nothing to do with not seeing them as equal.

Having said that if someone hits me I hit back.

Yes it absolutely does. We're not talking about any "mistake", we're talking about one human being voluntarily assaulting another on a complete whim for teh lulz.

A few years ago I was jumped on and beaten near to death by some lads for no reason at all. They jumped on me, beat me, chased me on foot, beat me again, went away, chased me in a car and then beat me some more. Stamping on my head like I was a ragdoll. For what? Nothing at all. I didn't open my mouth or even look at them. Whether it was a full-on-ass-whooping or just a single punch they knew what they were doing and they seemed to get some sort of joy out of it. Nobody forces any man or woman to assault somebody. They do it on their own intuition and for that, the blood of scum runs through their veins and I wish anyone who attacks any other person unprovoked a slow, painful death.

Looking back now I laugh at it because my face was so swollen that I looked like a bouncy ball. HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I'm in awe of your wisdom

Yes it absolutely does. We're not talking about any "mistake", we're talking about one human being voluntarily assaulting another on a complete whim for teh lulz.

A few years ago I was jumped on and beaten near to death by some lads for no reason at all. They jumped on me, beat me, chased me on foot, beat me again, went away, chased me in a car and then beat me some more. Stamping on my head like I was a ragdoll. For what? Nothing at all. I didn't open my mouth or even look at them. Whether it was a full-on-ass-whooping or just a single punch they knew what they were doing and they seemed to get some sort of joy out of it. Nobody forces anyone to assault somebody. They do it on their own intuition and for that, the blood of scum runs through their veins and I wish anyone who attacks any other person unprovoked a slow, painful death.

Looking back now I laugh at it because my face was so swollen that I looked like a bouncy ball. HA!

Did the Guards get the lads that did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

No the reason most men wouldn't hit women is because men evolved to be stronger and usually heavier than women so a man would do more damage to a woman if he hit her than he would a man, it's nothing to do with not seeing them as equal.

Having said that if someone hits me I hit back.

fair enough. When I was hit by man I couldn't hit back or defend myself, all I could do was curl up in a ball and hope it would be over soon.

I think men should be aware that they're (in general) much stronger. its not sexist, its just the truth.

Did the Guards get the lads that did it?

No, sadly. Never seen them again after that. I asked the Guards to check CCTV footage from any cameras that were nearby but none of the cameras actually worked. What a joke! I should mention I was 15 at the time and they were early 20's. Makes it even worse. Oh well, I'm sure they're both dead now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Bullsh*t. Anyone who acts like the person in the OP is a scumbag. There's no "mistake" about punching someone in the face. Whether you're from Sallynoggin or foxrock. You punch someone for no reason, you are scum.

While hitting someone out of the blue for no reason is obviuosly unacceptable I can kind of see hondsam's point. I would never hit a girl, in fact I can't tell you the last time I raised a fist to another bloke, probably in my teenage years.

However, I once went out with a girl who was the most frustrating person I ever met in my life. She would constantly play mind games, fcuk with your head, humiliate you in public and basically make life as difficult as possible for you. The relationship lasted a couple of years and I think she would have been dropped a lot more quickly if she wasn't so hot.

Anyhow, although I was driven close to the edge on many, many occasions I never raised my hand to her, but I am a pretty calm lad. She told me her previous partner did on a couple of occasions and while I don't agree with that at all I can understand how he may have been driven to it - she was / is a nasty piece of work.

The point is if that man lost the head with her during their time together I can, from my own experiences, understand why he might have done and made the 'mistake' of lashing out. I don't condone it in any shape or form but I can see how it wasn't all one sided. Was he wrong to do what he did? For sure but I don't think he's a scumbag because of it. I would actually go as far as to say she was a danger to herself - and she wasn't a scumbag either.

• Advertisement

fair enough. When I was hit by man I couldn't hit back or defend myself, all I could do was curl up in a ball and hope it would be over soon.

I think men should be aware that they're (in general) much stronger. its not sexist, its just the truth.

In fairness most men are aware that they are stronger and would only strike out as a last resort if they felt they were going to be injured.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The point is if that man lost the head with her during their time together I can, from my own experiences, understand why he might have done and made the 'mistake' of lashing out. I don't condone it in any shape or form but I can see how it wasn't all one sided. Was he wrong to do what he did? For sure but I don't think he's a scumbag because of it. I would actually go as far as to say she was a danger to herself - and she wasn't a scumbag either.

But it was all one sided. She did not hit him (according to what you say here). Yet he hit her. Failing to get out of a relationship that is turning him into a scumbag doesn't mean he's not a scumbag.

No, sadly. Never seen them again after that. I asked the Guards to check CCTV footage from any cameras that were nearby but none of the cameras actually worked. What a joke! I should mention I was 15 at the time and they were early 20's. Makes it even worse. Oh well, I'm sure they're both dead now :pac:

Dirty skangers is all they are, console yourself with the fact that they will never amount to anything.

While hitting someone out of the blue for no reason is obviuosly unacceptable I can kind of see hondsam's point. I would never hit a girl, in fact I can't tell you the last time I raised a fist to another bloke, probably in my teenage years.

We're talking about unprovoked attacks though. Like the one in the OP, and I stand by my belief that that girl is a scumbag, regardless of whether she is posh or not. Hondasam was simply being pedantic.

But it was all one sided. She did not hit him (according to what you say here). Yet he hit her. Failing to get out of a relationship that is turning him into a scumbag doesn't mean he's not a scumbag.

Maybe so!

But she's one of these people that will reel you in like you're on a fishing line then let you back out again, rine and repeat. I know she did that with me, and I was crazy about her. That's why I stayed so long but eventually I couldn't handle it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Quoted for the lol.

We're talking about unprovoked attacks though. Like the one in the OP, and I stand by my belief that that girl is a scumbag, regardless of whether she is posh or not. Hondasam was simply being pedantic.

I know yeah, sorry for confusing the issue! :o

Maybe so!

But she's one of these people that will reel you in like you're on a fishing line then let you back out again, rine and repeat. I know she did that with me, and I was crazy about her. That's why I stayed so long but eventually I couldn't handle it anymore.

You never hit her. You maintained self control and did the sensible thing in leaving the relationship.

Lots of people feel like we could throttle somebody every day. It's only those lacking self-control who act on it. They, imo, are scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

As per "In Bruges" if a girl is coming at me with a bottle or glass she's getting knocked the fcuk out!

Apart from that I would never hit a girl. If one hit me I'd just restrain or push her away.... but a weapon changes everything.

• Advertisement

Dirty skangers is all they are, console yourself with the fact that they will never amount to anything.

Ah my friend I already have. I think about it from time to time and thank my lucky stars I'm not one of these people. Even though I got pummelled I was still the victor....... you know.. morally.

Advertisement