Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it ok to strike a girl under certain circumstances?

Comments

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I know yeah, sorry for confusing the issue! :o

Not at all, I know what you're saying, circumstances can get you into situations you would not normally be in, but you're being particularly forgiving to a man who hit his girlfriend. You walked away, you weren't violent towards her, and that's what makes you a decent/normal person and him [possibly] less so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I don't even understand why people would think this isn't acceptable just because she's a girl? If you are an idiot and decide to hit someone for no reason then you are going to get hit too, regardless of what gender you are. Why is it deemed so unacceptable for a man to hit a woman if they deserve it? But for a man to hit another man it's completely ok? I don't understand the it at all :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

As for any man saying no, oh shut up.
    It doesn't matter if she's a 6'6 body builder with 20 years of cage fighting or a 5'0 tall tiny thing, if she wants to kill you she can kill you and you better have your wits about you if you'll just "restrain" them.

I'm a fairly small (height) guy but a bit fat
    So yes, I'd probably be stronger than a few women but that doesn't mean all women are nice and dainty.
    All it means is sometimes I have a slight advantage.
    But try restraining a lunatic intent on hurting you, man or woman and you'll find it's not that easy.
    Especially in a situation when you have two or three of their friends ready to "protect" them from the evil person that acted in self-defense.

Generally speaking if a man or woman did punch me and they were being scumbags about it, hit them back.
    Of course then there's the thing of if you're in a nice place with decent bouncers, I'd sooner say "feck it, grab a bouncer" rather than just get into a fight or hitting someone back. I don't like violence in real life. But yes, if a woman (or man) hits me and I think there's no logical reason for it, there's a very, very good chance you'll get hit back.

Funny story: this one time a woman punched me, all because she thought I was the one who punched her friend... except her friend was in tears over the punch and mistakently pointed me out when the guy that did it was next to me getting thrown out :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not at all, I know what you're saying, circumstances can get you into situations you would not normally be in, but you're being particularly forgiving to a man who hit his girlfriend. You walked away, you weren't violent towards her, and that's what makes you a decent/normal person and him [possibly] less so.

TBH, thinking back I don't know for sure if he ever hit her at all - could well have been another one of her mind games. She also told me that he was the only person she ever slept with before me and I found out after that that was a fcukin' lie too. I met the chap (they had a kid together) and I didn't like him because he was interfering in our already fcuked up relationship because he still loved her. Looking back he was an alright bloke, just heartbroken.

Anyhow, she's a fat sow now as well as being a walking cnut so the laugh's on her now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yes it is once it's self defence/retaliation IMO, provided the reaction is equal - e.g. a slap to the face should not be met with a flooring punch.

It isn't ok at all for a woman to hit a man with no physical provocation - popular culture often deems it ok though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I'll just leave this here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My "rules" for women are the same as would apply to a man of equal strength (i.e. a skinny bastard). They don't get any special treatment on account of their vagina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I'll just leave this here.

ahh here what was he supposed to do? she well deserved a clout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    ahh here what was he supposed to do? she well deserved a clout!

Restrain her of course! :p

Restrain her of course! :p

Ha that clearly wasn't working. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I do kick boxing and have been punched and kicked by a few fellas, all in the name if sport. They don't punch too hard they are too busy feeling guilty about hitting a woman...

You find the younger ones don't really care and dig in but the older ones are more restrained and go easy. .

All in the name of fun.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I think it boils down to the general assumption that women are 'the fairer sex', which rings true in the majority of cases.
    It's about strength, plain and simple.

I used to kickbox, and often sparred against men in our club. They weren't comfortable about it when they got paired with girls, and I could tell they were holding back on strength while still planting me against the wall (literally) with one punch.
    These were guys the same weight and height as me, but men are built differently, I didn't stand a chance.

That said, if I for whatever reason, threw a punch at a guy on a night out, I'd expect to wake up with a sore jaw the following day.
    I've seen girls in red mist mode and it ain't pretty, seems that anything goes tbh. They need to be stopped and restrained as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    Ha that clearly wasn't working. :pac:

But sure, look at her, she's a precious little flower! What a delicate snowflake! It's clearly never all right to hurt a female, because women never hurt anyone!

But sure, look at her, she's a precious little flower! What a delicate snowflake! It's clearly never all right to hurt a female, because women never hurt anyone!

Double standards mate. They're all for gender equality but as soon as you ask them to lift something heavy all you hear is "I can't lift that I'm a girl!". Mainly my GF though.

I love that headline "Woman attacks man for lack of affection" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

its all about equality if a lad hits me he gets hit same goes for women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I agree, that if a woman hits you, you can retaliate to defend yourself. Thing is I know of a friend who got beaten up that way. A drunk skanger started having a go at him. Then started hitting him. Te tried to restrain her (And he wasn't even hitting her), but some guys obviously think he's attacking her and jump in to "rescue" the woman.

So honestly I wouldn't even hit a woman in self defense unless there's a few security cameras to back me up. It's all too easy for her to claim that you attacked her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

How can she slap?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My rule is, somebody hits me, I hit back twice as hard.

I fully believe that men should hit back if a girl attacks them unprovoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

The answer to the question is obviously yes. The real question is why you think it was a question at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

He should have sunk the heed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

LoYL wrote: »
    The answer to the question is obviously yes. The real question is why you think it was a question at all.
    Because some people, male and female, genuinely think it should never be done under any circumstances. I don't btw.

Onixx wrote: »
    Because some people, male and female, genuinely think it should never be done under any circumstances. I don't btw.

Try it in a pub some day. Even if a woman is kicking the **** out of a man. Once he hits her back then you will hear the gasps of horror and other men will attack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Would only hit a girl if it was a life threatening situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm all for a proportionate response if somebody attacks you. By which I mean, if somebody slaps you, so long as you stop short of stamping on their head or something, you have a right to defend yourself.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Jester252 wrote: »
    Its never okay for a guy to hit a girl.

Say that when the bitch comes at you with a bread knife....

Have you never seen Fair city?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Punch her in the ovaries is what he should have done, stops her in her tracks and stops her bringing her demon seed into the world, The girl in the OP sounds like a nasty cow tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭SIR PEADO BAILOUT

Not since Tracey (da Rat) Lee ex Occupy Galway stalwart was outed by all accounts,ah sure we all make mistakes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Well I've never hit anyone (male or female) and would hope to keep it that way but I don't see how gender makes a difference. If I genuinely feel the only way to protect myself (or someone else) is to hit someone I won't hesitate to take a swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

If a girl starts swinging - all bets are off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I don't think hitting is acceptable in general, for either gender, but putting your hands on someone should only ever be done if you feel like your life is threatened.

What she did was bang out of order and I think his reaction was acceptable, he moved her away from him (albeit with force) and then removed himself from the situation.

Poor guy. That girl was clearly dragged up if she thinks punching someone is an acceptable reaction when you think someone has skipped the queue :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

As the saying goes, "give as good as you get".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

cournioni wrote: »
    As the saying goes, "give as good as you get".

That's why most of the men go easy on me in kickboxing, I must punch like a whimp.

If I throw it at them full force I should be able to take it...... Gulp.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

vangoz wrote: »
    In many cases women take advantage of knowing men will not fight back, it is then men who are rendered vulnerable due to this situation. This makes the attack all the more "scumbagish" on the women's part. This is just an observation on the few times ive seen such incidences and does not apply to all cases.

Quoted for truth.

Two of my female friends, on different occasions, were punched by scumbags in dodgy parts of town (not Dublin!). In both situations they verbally abused the men on question with little reason (where most men would walk on) and when I asked why they did this they both said "I didn't think they'd hit a girl!"

Numpties

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Kris/nuts.png

I'd probably do some mad kung fu disarm thing. Catch her swinging arm, maybe spin her around. Slap her arse for good measure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

What should have happened when Rachel slapped Bruce Wayne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

He should have sought medical advice and brought a civil case against her, it would perhaps wake up alot of people to the fact that they shouldnt and cannot do what they want, all the violent responses in this thread show we still have a way to go before becoming a mature country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

syndeyfife wrote: »
    You get your missus to punch her for you

Tell that to Katie Taylor!
    #topical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

At what point is it ok for a bloke to strike a girl?

At the same point where it's ok for a bloke to strike a bloke., only in self defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think it amazing how woman behave. Throwing a drink on somebody is equally assault. Completely uncalled for insults and slapping men seems acceptable.
    Worked in nightclubs and aggressive women was not uncommon.
    There are also plenty of woman who out weigh me and I am not small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

If a female is getting electrocuted i will find a big stick and gladly beat her to safety :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I was working over the christmas and a few members of the travelling community ended up in the pub. They were quite enough until closing time when a ladys bag went missing. Of course it was on me to confront them about it. Thats when things started to get nasty - one girl took off her heels and gave me a good few digs with it. Had to get 8 stitches over 2 different wounds. Closest I ever came to giving a girl a smack.

still dunno why I didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

did they actually have the bag or were they angered that you automatically went over to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Any woman who thinks she can inflict pain on a man without response perhaps deserves her own medicine. Women should not be seen as more sacred or to have more rights than men. If this idea were endorsed and practiced we would have a real problem on our hands as men.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Would only hit a girl if it was a life threatening situation

Or if she spilled your pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

did they actually have the bag or were they angered that you automatically went over to them?

they had it but were angry I automatically went over to them

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

iv had a few experiences in my younger days of been assaulted by women when iv been out, iv never once retaliated (mainly because il be made out to be the bad guy). i do have a pretty short temper aswell, but the 1 thing that has made me snap is when a woman spat in my face, even now thats 1 thing that i will have no problem punching them as hard as i can, any other cases i would try to calm them down or restrain them, if they kept punching me then i would obviously punch back . the time the bitch did spit in my face, my friends held me straight away because they knew id snapped.
    Glad to see almost every1 here goes by the same guidlines, just sick of hearing this "you can never hit a woman". dont give it if you cant take it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was working over the christmas and a few members of the travelling community ended up in the pub. They were quite enough until closing time when a ladys bag went missing. Of course it was on me to confront them about it. Thats when things started to get nasty - one girl took off her heels and gave me a good few digs with it. Had to get 8 stitches over 2 different wounds. Closest I ever came to giving a girl a smack.

still dunno why I didnt

You'd want a bit of back up before taking them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

syndeyfife wrote: »
    You get your missus to punch her for you
    this sounds lame a 6' 1 man going back to his wife hit that one over there for me i can't protect myself.

if she hit self defence is fair game.

otherwise girl can hit anyone for no reason whatsoever, where will it stop then. she wouldn' t hit a cop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

I always carry a ruler with me. If a woman hits me, I'll beat her to within an inch of her life.

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement