Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long hair on men

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Get over it. Men can be just as shallow.

And I say that even though I think it is shallow to write somebody off because of hair-length.

Of course they can be, where did I say they weren't?

Maybe I just overestimate people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

So he was good enough for you in every way but god forbid his hair length was any different?!

I wonder does he realise that he's with an individual who considers something as utterly irrelevant as a haircut to be a deal breaker in whether a relationship happens or not?

Some women, man.... it really blows me away how shallow and materialistic and petty some of you are when it comes to this type of stuff!

Jesus wept, I ****ing despair sometimes, really?!

I can't begin to describe to you how pathetic that sounds!

Chill out.

You can be attracted to anyone you want to be and for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

So he was good enough for you in every way but god forbid his hair length was any different?!

I wonder does he realise that he's with an individual who considers something as utterly irrelevant as a haircut to be a deal breaker in whether a relationship happens or not?

Some women, man.... it really blows me away how shallow and materialistic and petty some of you are when it comes to this type of stuff!

Jesus wept, I ****ing despair sometimes, really?!

I can't begin to describe to you how pathetic that sounds!

Right, so you are in a club. Some girl who is larger/thinner/whatever that you like and completely not your type comes up to you and tries to chat you up. You are saying that looks doesn't come into it?

She might be the nicest girl but if the attraction isn't there it isn't there and you don't know her well enough to know that she could be perfect for you.

I don't find men with long hair attractive. He knows this. It doesn't bother him. I had a bit of weight on me two years ago and he has told me that he wouldn't really have found me that attractive first off with the extra pounds. Thats okay. I would not want to change a man so why date someone with something that I don't find attractive with the end goal of him cutting it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Women like it if the man is attractive and has long hair. They also like it if they have short hair. I guess they just dig attractive dudes.

Chill out.

You can be attracted to anyone you want to be and for whatever reason.

Thanks Mammy, I needed that.

ihsb wrote: »
    Right, so you are in a club. Some girl who is larger/thinner/whatever that you like and completely not your type comes up to you and tries to chat you up. You are saying that looks doesn't come into it?

She might be the nicest girl but if the attraction isn't there it isn't there and you don't know her well enough to know that she could be perfect for you.

I don't find men with long hair attractive. He knows this. It doesn't bother him. I had a bit of weight on me two years ago and he has told me that he wouldn't really have found me that attractive first off with the extra pounds. Thats okay. I would not want to change a man so why date someone with something that I don't find attractive with the end goal of him cutting it off?

Body shape/how healthy you look/don't look and hairstyle/length are the same thing now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Of course they can be, where did I say they weren't?

My apologies if I took you up wrongly. This statement:

gave me that impression. I figured it would simply be "Some people..." if you felt the same about men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Jesus people like to row about the most stupid ffing things on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Pantsface wrote: »

What!??!?! No they don't! This isn't a small thing! AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!

:pac:

My apologies if I took you up wrongly. This statement:

gave me that impression. I figured it would simply be "Some people..." if you felt the same about men.

No bother! You're right I probably should have been clearer, nah men and women are equally as shallow but we're shallow about different things.
    Both equally irritating.

• Advertisement

Would you prefer another Dole/religion/abortion thread?

Body shape/how healthy you look/don't look and hairstyle/length are the same thing now?

Ok you didn't like red-heads... hence the "whatever" it could be anything. And I wasn't unhealthy just a different body type. It is all looks and what you find attractive.

My point is. You don't start dating someone in the view of changing them to be your type. So you tend not to start to date (i.e. get to know) someone that isn't your type. Now if you know them personally before you start to date then obviously first look impressions go out of the window.

And yes Pantsface... I concur. Comes to something when you cannot just make a passing comment about what you like/dislike... one that isn't offensive at all.

Would you prefer another Dole/religion/abortion thread?

do you get your long locks in a tight knot over in those threads too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Back on-topic I had long hair up until about two years ago. Just about shoulder-length blonde hair (dyed.) I did a decent job of maintaining it but when it came to the workplace and really, really hot weather, I couldn't handle it anymore so it all came off. My hair is short back and sides, with a side parting on top - oh, and grey temples. I look a bit like yer man off the 'Just For Men' box. Only I'm ugly.

Back on-topic I had long hair up until about two years ago. Just about shoulder-length blonde hair (dyed.) I did a decent job of maintaining it but when it came to the workplace and really, really hot weather, I couldn't handle it anymore so it all came off. My hair is short back and sides, with a side parting on top - oh, and grey temples. I look a bit like yer man off the 'Just For Men' box. Only I'm ugly.

Was this with an all over colour, or highlights?

ihsb wrote: »
    Ok you didn't like red-heads... hence the "whatever" it could be anything. And I wasn't unhealthy just a different body type. It is all looks and what you find attractive.

My point is. You don't start dating someone in the view of changing them to be your type. So you tend not to start to date (i.e. get to know) someone that isn't your type. Now if you know them personally before you start to date then obviously first look impressions go out of the window.

And yes Pantsface... I concur. Comes to something when you cannot just make a passing comment about what you like/dislike... one that isn't offensive at all.

I know what you're saying, it was that dismissive way you said "I wouldn't have given him a second look" that bugged me.

Forget his hair for a second. His face, body and personality all appeal to you because you're with him, obviously. You don't like long hair. That's also fine, I don't like dreads on a woman. But I wouldn't for a second rule a girl out for that, of all things, if she ticked all the other boxes!

By the way, I realise I was needlessly aggressive there, sorry about that!
    I just think it's such a really minor, superficial thing to care about, just can't get my head around it myself!

do you get your long locks in a tight knot over in those threads too?

Ha ha, you? Stroll on matey!

Yes, I do, by the way! Great fun those threads! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Unfortunatly long hair and receding hairlines don't go well so I had to shave mine :(

I attempted to combine the two by convincing myself I could get a John Cazale vibe going. In practise I ended up looking like a redneck serial killer or, even worse, John Waters. Blade nought ever since...

latenia wrote: »
    I attempted to combine the two by convincing myself I could get a John Cazale vibe going. In practise I ended up looking like a redneck serial killer or, even worse, John Waters. Blade nought ever since...

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Well I'd rather look like a "boring c*nt" than a hippie wannabee with long hair.

Hey Grandad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

nay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Every time I go and get my hair cut (about twice a year), I'm like "yeah my girlfriend actually likes it long", and they make out like it's so unusual to actually like long hair on a guy. Interesting to see normal women not thinking it's weird. Long hair + the right clothes has a lot of (often negative) connotations though: Biker, goth, rocker, stoner, bum/homeless, rebellious little scamp, lazy unkempt dole scrounger who never washes etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

It all depends on the man, John Waters, sweet jaysus NAY. Sebastien Chabal, mmmm Yay.

LucyLouLou wrote: »
    It all depends on the man, John Waters, sweet jaysus NAY. Sebastien Chabal, mmmm Yay.

PHHOOOWR - he's a fine thing, good call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭scwazrh

My son who is 4 thinks long hair on men is hilarious . When we're out if we pass a bloke with long he screams " HaHa he's got a hairy tail" !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Allure_

Yes yes yes yes yes :D hahaha real men have long hair:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Was this with an all over colour, or highlights?

Oh God... I'll probably get slaughtered for this but yes it was highlights.

Oh God... I'll probably get slaughtered for this but yes it was highlights.

LOVE IT :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Long hair (small of the back length and I'm 6'3") 'till I die/start receding/join the army.

And facial hair.
    And stuble when I can't be @rsed to shave the rest of it.

I've had long hair since I was 14; I'm over double that age now (and a few extra). I once had a woman tell me she'd shag me senseless me in a second if I shaved my head. So I told her I saw a motorcycle helmet lying around somewhere if she had some imagination.

Ps. o1s1n, my hair's longer than your hair :p :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Well I'd rather look like a "boring c*nt" than a hippie wannabee with long hair.
    Damn punk rockers always have to ruin everything :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Nay...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Depends on the man, depends on the hair, some men can carry it off a lot cant. I would much prefer it to bald though. It generally signifys you are a little different, I like different so yes, I like it on the right person.

I know what you're saying, it was that dismissive way you said "I wouldn't have given him a second look" that bugged me.

Forget his hair for a second. His face, body and personality all appeal to you because you're with him, obviously. You don't like long hair. That's also fine, I don't like dreads on a woman. But I wouldn't for a second rule a girl out for that, of all things, if she ticked all the other boxes!

By the way, I realise I was needlessly aggressive there, sorry about that!
    I just think it's such a really minor, superficial thing to care about, just can't get my head around it myself!

No problem! :D

He is shorter then I would have usually liked, and balder, but you know what? He is my perfect now. Long hair is just something I would shave off while he was asleep... I don't think I would do either of us a favour with that one!

I can imagine the thread about the crazy lady now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Depends on the rest of the guy really. A weedy looking guy with a bedraggled ponytail wouldn't float my boat at all, but if he resembled Chris Hemsworth (or someone of that ilk) then fantastic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/irishguitarlad/SAM_0070.jpg shall I shave this off or keep it ladies, Ive been thinking of shaving it off, not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Long hair on a guy is wonderful but only if they look after it.
    If they have a mass of greasy locks or brittle lengths with split ends then they should get it cut.

Ilyana wrote: »
    Depends on the rest of the guy really. A weedy looking guy with a bedraggled ponytail wouldn't float my boat at all, but if he resembled Chris Hemsworth (or someone of that ilk) then fantastic ;)

Ponytails are always a no-no unless you look like Andy Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I used to have very long hair. I got nothing but abuse for 5 years. Extreme bullying etc... People dont tend to like it from
    MY experiences

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I used to have very long hair. I got nothing but abuse for 5 years. Extreme bullying etc... People dont tend to like it from
    MY experiences

You've been hanging round the wrong places!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Noooooooooooo :(

• Advertisement

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/irishguitarlad/SAM_0070.jpg shall I shave this off or keep it ladies, Ive been thinking of shaving it off, not sure

Suits you sir, have a 'Dazed and Confused' (the film) look to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Personally I think it really suits you, but it hides your face a bit too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I love long hair. Not ponytail long, but long-ish, like swishy. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Leave it its nice like that! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Every time I shave my neck I shave my head with the same razor. Slap head and a nice beard is the best look you can have IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

shall I shave this off or keep it ladies, Ive been thinking of shaving it off, not sure
    Leave it its nice like that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Mine is currently 12 inches :pac:

Haven't cut it in 7 years...to think all that money I could have wasted at the barbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

My hair is down to my hips, now. As you can see, I have a buttocks for a face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Suits you sir, have a 'Dazed and Confused' (the film) look to it

"I love them college girls. I get older, they stay the same age ... "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Keep the hair irishguitarlad - it suits you the way it is.

Advertisement