Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long hair on men

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Phazer

I've got shoulder length hair that I have to tame with a straightener. It can be a lot of hassle, but I always wanted long hair growing up, so I guess its worth it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

one of the main reasons i married my hubby was because he had long hair ,allways loved it since i seen bon jovi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Haven't cut my hair since I was 14,I'm 25 now.It just seems to have reached a point where it won't grow any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm currently growing a ponytail.

Gets down to between my shoulder blades now. Just at the point now where i can tie it all back without little wispy bits falling in my eyes driving me mad.

Never thought i'd be worried about split ends, but they feel and look like ****e, so meh, i get them cut.

I've a broad face, and long hair evens it out a bit.

For any other lads thinking about it, depending on how fast your hair grows, it will be 6 months of torment, bits in your eyes with any wind at all, before you get to the ponytail stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/irishguitarlad/SAM_0070.jpg shall I shave this off or keep it ladies, Ive been thinking of shaving it off, not sure

You're a good looking guy but all the hair hides your face too much- I think you'd look great with really short hair. I used to be into the whole grunge/rock scene and went for guys with long hair, but now I've moved on long hair carries associations of those guys I knew with their greasy hair and ugly black band T's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/irishguitarlad/SAM_0070.jpg shall I shave this off or keep it ladies, Ive been thinking of shaving it off, not sure

Trim it a little. Or go for a short-ish cut.
    I would strongly advise NOT to shave it off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I love long hair on men. I actually dont find short hair attractive on men, and despise that stupid short back and sides that literally 95% of males seem to have. Its so boring and unflattering on most faces.

I have hair down to just past my bra, about half way down my back. My other half's hair is a couple of inches longer than mine and thats the way I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

No you get referred to as "Ladies" when you're out, its rather embarrassing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

As a male, I have always wanted to have very long hair, so about 6 years ago, I decided not to cut my hair anymore and let it grow. At present, it is about half way down my back and I would love to have waist length hair. My hair is black, thick and naturally curly and I keep it in good condition. I just love my long hair and so do the girls! My long black hair goes perfectly with the leather gear that I wear. I could never imagine getting my hair cut again. Nobody would recognise me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nothing wrong at all with long hair on a man if it's kept well. Some of the opinions expressed on this thread seem to come straight from 1926.

I had long hair myself from the ages of 19 to 23 - my college years. A lot of people thought it suited me.

What I find interesting are the number of women averse to long hair on a guy - a sign that social conditioning and brainwashing has done its job very well.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    What I find interesting are the number of women averse to long hair on a guy - a sign that social conditioning and brainwashing has done its job very well.
    Social conditioning and brainwashing? :confused:
    I just think it can look either feminine or scruffy- it's a matter of taste, not some kind of conspiracy

Great head of hair man! Never get it cut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Siuin wrote: »
    Social conditioning and brainwashing? :confused:
    I just think it can look either feminine or scruffy- it's a matter of taste, not some kind of conspiracy

Well, isn't that the definition of social conditioning?
    If the socially agreed condition was that it's feminine to have short hair, and masculine to have long hair, you wouldn't for a moment think that long hair looks feminine...

saa wrote: »
    No you get referred to as "Ladies" when you're out, its rather embarrassing

Speaking as a male with very long hair, people sometimes think that I am a woman. I am always clean shaven and wear lots of jewelry including long dangly earings, so I can see how people can be mistaken. I am well used to it now and just laugh it off. I find that the person who has mistaken me for a woman is more embarrassed than I. My hair is a lot longer than my girlfriend's and she just loves my long flowing locks and helps me to wash it and keep it in good condition.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, isn't that the definition of social conditioning?
    If the socially agreed condition was that it's feminine to have short hair, and masculine to have long hair, you wouldn't for a moment think that long hair looks feminine...

Well if you want to be the one to 'break the mould' after thousands of years of long hair being associated with feminine sexuality, be my guest...! It's still not going to convince me (and many other girls) that it's not girly and scraggly looking. However, I wouldn't put preference of short VS long down to social conditioning -- unless the girls who prefer long hair haven't been living on this planet for the past few thousand years

Well if you want to be the one to 'break the mould' after thousands of years of long hair being associated with feminine sexuality, be my guest...! It's still not going to convince me (and many other girls) that it's not girly and scraggly looking. However, I wouldn't put preference of short VS long down to social conditioning -- unless the girls who prefer long hair haven't been living on this planet for the past few thousand years

Up until a few centuries ago, both men and women wore long hair, so I would disagree that long hair has been associated with feminine sexuality for thousands of years. As a full blooded long haired male, I am very proud of my lovely long flowing locks. I just enjoy the feeling of loads of hair around me.

Up until a few centuries ago, both men and women wore long hair, so I would disagree that long hair has been associated with feminine sexuality for thousands of years. As a full blooded long haired male, I am very proud of my lovely long flowing locks. I just enjoy the feeling of loads of hair around me.

In Muslim, Jewish and Christian culture women are asked (to varying degrees) to cover their hair because of the sexuality it represents. Men are not. That's thousands of years of history in itself.

Good for you that you like long hair. I don't. I think there's nothing better than running my palms along a sexy bristly army crew cut. But luckily people like different things, or else big portions of society wouldn't be getting laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

JupiterKid wrote: »

If men with long hair would just regularly condition & wash it, that'd be half the ladies won over! Also learning how to use hair products is a major bonus! (And don't whinge that it's a lot of work. I have long straight hair & have to wash & condition it every day. That's the price I pay (effort I make) to have nice long hair.)

The vast majority of guys I've seen with long hair (I studied computing in college, & spent 10 years in university environments so I've seen a few!) have manky / scraggly / broken / greasy / fuzzy etc. hair. If it was on a girl, I'd find it unattractive too. I've only ever known one guy to have his long hair in decent condition.
    My hair is a lot longer than my girlfriend's and she just loves my long flowing locks and helps me to wash it and keep it in good condition.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Do you mean your mother???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

In Muslim, Jewish and Christian culture women are asked (to varying degrees) to cover their hair because of the sexuality it represents. Men are not. That's thousands of years of history in itself.

I think that says more about traditional attitudes towards women than it does about whatever hairstyle is deemed to be in vogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd suggest going to the nearest metal bar and informing some of the long haired lads within that they are "hippie wannabees".

Good luck with that by the way.

Why what do you think would happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

we can have it long and short at the same time :

http://www.annagreenwood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/phil-hair-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why what do you think would happen?

They'd appreciate your brass gonads and top you up with pints for the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

alphabeat wrote: »
    we can have it long and short at the same time :

Indeed, Flock of Seagulls made a career out of it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

kowloon wrote: »
    They'd appreciate your brass gonads and top you up with pints for the night.

Great to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Urgh, not a fan of long hair on a man

kowloon wrote: »
    I think that says more about traditional attitudes towards women than it does about whatever hairstyle is deemed to be in vogue.

Don't you see what's fueling these 'traditional attitudes' though? There is a recurring theme in modesty among Muslims, Orthodox Jews and nuns that one's hair should be covered because it represents feminine sexuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Screw traditional attitudes. A sexy man is a sexy man, and long hair adds to that for some people (like me) but it is never gonna be everyone's cup of tea.

Each to their own and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

As soon as my hair is long enough, I'm putting on my Willy Wallace costume and will be playing with me sword.

FREEDOM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Ponytails are always a no-no unless you look like Andy Carroll

I preferred to call'em "Hair Restraining Procedures" :cool:

So I could keep it out of my food while eating. :o

Advertisement