Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected sick Dog

• 30-07-2012 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 13 year old Terrier. I have never had problems with him before he has always been a healthy enough dog, bar a few problems with his legs due to old age. But i noticed something today on a walk with him!

I usually bring him on a short 4km walk, the longest being 12km, which he can handle but today he couldn't, he was extremely tired and his legs were acting up. My dog has his little quirks that he does especially regarding going to the toilet. I bring him on a walk beside the river where there is high grass. He normally goes into the high grass with his head peaking out and does his business then comes over and rubs his face in my knee (weird i know :o). Today however he didn't, he walked very slowly and did his business in the open and just looks at me. I noticed the sample was very watery and had was tinted with a red-brown colour.

I know that diarrhea can happen in dogs but im put off by the redish colour in it and the fact that he did it so i can see.

Would it be worth my while bringing him to the vets or am i worrying over nothing? My gut tells me that i should...

Can anyone reccommend a good vet in Carlow?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If your gut tells you that you should, I would follow it. You know yourself if anything is out of the ordinary with your own dog, even if it turns out to be nothing it's worth getting him checked just for your own piece of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Thanks for the reply!

I think i will because it will worry me until i know for certain!
    I just need to find a good vet and ill be fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

With a dog that age I wouldn't delay about seeing the vet. But try not to worry too much, it could just be an upset tummy. Sounds like it could be an ulcer. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

bannermaf wrote: »
    With a dog that age I wouldn't delay about seeing the vet. But try not to worry too much, it could just be an upset tummy. Sounds like it could be an ulcer. Good luck!

If it was an ulcer it would be tarry black not browny red. Any luck in finding a vet OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

My dad found a vet yesterday evening so we brought him today. Turns out i was worrying over nothing :o He was just having a bad reaction to some left overs we gave him the other day. We just need to keep him hydrated to let it pass and if it persists then we have to bring him back!!

He did seem ok when i was feeding him yesterday but we still brought him to be on the safe side :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement