Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the hell am I at

• 30-07-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

So here I am in the 18th year of employment thinking what the hell am I at?
    I mean most of my earnings off to the government to waste, soggy weather and for what?
    Its not as if my hearse will have a trailer full of money to bring with me.
    Sometimes I think wouldn’t it be nice to just have a simple life, sitting in a mud hut shaping and polishing a new stone for the top of my spear sipping milk form a coconut watching a village of topless natives.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Thinly veiled: "I have a job" thread :p

You could do what Chris McCandless did:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I mean most of my earnings off to the government to waste, soggy weather and for what?
    Sometimes I think wouldn’t it be nice to just have a simple life, sitting in a mud hut shaping and polishing a new stone for the top of my spear sipping milk form a coconut watching a village of topless natives.

Are you a skilled hunter? Might be more stressful than you think, particularly when your life and that of your family; depends on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cloud City ain't gonna run itself, you should have thought about all this before you handed over control of it to the Empire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Having a mid-life crises?
    Been there. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

sipping milk form a coconut watching a village of topless natives.

i like milk and boobs so i'm gonna give ya a thumbs up for your post :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are you a skilled hunter? Might be more stressful than you think, particularly when your life and that of your family; depends on it.
    I dunno PN in a lot of the current hunter gatherer environments hunting is pretty easy. Fishing even more so. They've way more free time than the farmers that replaced them and defo more than your average 9-5 cubicle dweller. Very low levels of stress, almost zero levels of depression, diabetes, heart disease and shed loads of other illnesses of the modern world. It's defo appealing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So what's stopping you?
    I plan on raising a family, so I recognise that I have to make sacrifices in order to provide them with a decent quality of life.

What's your excuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

So you want to polish stones? I may know a guy who'd be interested in giving you a start.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno PN in a lot of the current hunter gatherer environments hunting is pretty easy. Fishing even more so. They've way more free time than the farmers that replaced them and defo more than your average 9-5 cubicle dweller. Very low levels of stress, almost zero levels of depression, diabetes, heart disease and shed loads of other illnesses of the modern world. It's defo appealing.

Hmm, so why is their life expectancy so low compared to ours. There must be something we are doing right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

D'em foreigner hunter gatherers took our nuts Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hmm, so why is their life expectancy so low compared to ours. There must be something we are doing right?
    We have low infant mortality (i.e. good pre and post natal care) and antibiotics.

Those two alone would raise the life expectancy of any society by about 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

krudler wrote: »
    Cloud City ain't gonna run itself, you should have thought about all this before you handed over control of it to the Empire.

My inner nerd is screaming at me to respond to this but I've learned to control him.

:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hmm, so why is their life expectancy so low compared to ours.
    It's not. For much of human history huntergatherers had better life expectancy than farmers and people in cities. Common fallacy that one(oh they all die before 40 etc). What skews their overall stats is their much higher childhood mortality.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

seamus wrote: »
    So what's stopping you?
    I plan on raising a family, so I recognise that I have to make sacrifices in order to provide them with a decent quality of life.

What's your excuse?

The 2012/2013 Premier League is starting soon. I doubt they would have live and exclusive coverage of it in those parts.
    Although topless, the native women would surly have a fair amount of bodily hair.
    Inability to climb coconut trees hence having to employ someone to do it for me hence being the burnt of the village jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    My inner nerd is screaming at me to respond to this but I've learned to control him.

:mad:

sometimes you gotta let your nerd side out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

think about it; You have access to a wide variety of foods at the convenience of a shop. You have dentists and doctors to ease and sooth your pains. Clothes shops to clothe you when your other garments are worn. Hot water on demand, plumbing, tv/books/internet for entertainment...etc.

Are you really willing to give all of that up?

Think of how many people the world over would litterally have their arm cut off to trade lives to be in your situation. You have it pretty good! Survival at your fingertips, and more than that, comfort and relative luxury at your fingertips. The ability to travel when you feel like it, eat what you want when you want... etc..

Don't let the government get you down. sure that money you pay them goes down the toilet, but can you honestly say you *earned* that money that goes to them? do you *earn* 100% of your wages? I mean, I dont think my company would be too thrilled if they knew I was on the internet right now.... I still get paid for it though... and the government get's that portion of my wage.

Just go buy an expensive car like everyone else. </typical AH response>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

krudler wrote: »
    sometimes you gotta let your nerd side out

No. That's exactly what the voices want me to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

OP, it sounds like you need a sports car and an affair with a blonde half your age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wibbs wrote: »
    The only problem is you won't find to many wild animals to eat in Ireland and will have a hard time tracking them through other peoples land.

Once it comes to preparing, cooking and storing that food you'll also see the benefits of electricity, you'll need a clan of people to spread the workload. Although producing your own electricity isn't out of the question your going to go back to the global community for parts and knowledge.

The men of hunter gathering communities may have the life of a lion being waited on hand and foot by the females but if your one of the women there's a huge workload supplementing mostly unsuccessful hunting trips, then all the day long workloads preparing the food so it's even edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

Dude/Dudette - if you don't have commitments and you have 18yrs experience at what you do, get the hell out of dodge and work somewhere else, Australia, London, Canada and alikes.

Do it before you regret not doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

sell everything and become a dragon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

nbar12 wrote: »
    sell everything and become a dragon

The latter might require the OP to have a sex change and become my mother in law! :eek:

*shudders*

Biggins wrote: »
    The latter might require the OP to have a sex change and become my mother in law! :eek:

*shudders*

Advantages :
    A grand cup a tea.
    A grand fry.
    Wouldn't expect you to go to mass with a hangover on Sunday morning as would have reminded that there is also mass Saturday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

most of my earnings off to the government
    Hmmm; really?

You must be earning an awful lot of money, because income tax only takes away about 10% if the average single person's salary. Even taking into account VAT and other taxes and duties, I find it quite difficult to believe anything approaching "most" of your earnings go to the Government.

later12 wrote: »
    Hmmm; really?

You must be earning an awful lot of money, because income tax only takes away about 10% if the average single person's salary. Even taking into account VAT and other taxes and duties, I find it quite difficult to believe anything approaching "most" of your earnings go to the Government.

40% in my case when you add up USC, PRSI and all the other sh'te.

Most people earning would at least fall into the 21% bracket.

Dunno where 10% comes out of

Effective rate. The effective income tax rate on the AIW for single people is about 10%; it's even less for married people. I presume you're not taking your tax credits into account to arrive at that 40% figure.

The oP said most of his/ her salary goes to the Government. That's extremely unlikely to be remotely true.

Effective rate. The effective income tax rate on the AIW for single people is about 10%; it's even less for married people. I presume you're not taking your tax credits into account to arrive at that 40% figure.

The oP said most of his/ her salary goes to the Government. That's extremely unlikely to be remotely true.

We declare as a married couple and I take all of my wife's credits as she only works a 3 day week. I receive exactly 59% of my salary on a monthly basis after PAYE, PRSI and USC are deducted.

So I sympathise with the OP and must admit that we have considered moving abroad given the amount of money we're flushing down to the jacks (aka giving to the government)

There would be none of this nit picking in my village.

Sorry for dragging off topic OP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

We declare as a married couple and I take all of my wife's credits as she only works a 3 day week. I receive exactly 59% of my salary on a monthly basis after PAYE, PRSI and USC are deducted.

So I sympathise with the OP and must admit that we have considered moving abroad given the amount of money we're flushing down to the jacks (aka giving to the government)

Oh most countries take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is it possible to have a constant life crisis?

I see the OP's point. He is merely saying the simple life has its pleasures.

Might get boring after a while though. :p Especially without boards.ie

That would be a substantial wage; I'd estimate it to be in the region of €100,000 going on back of the envelope sums, if you are taking personal credits and your wife's credit into account. Otherwise, there must be some other deduction that you are counting as a tax, like a pension contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/faculty/gurven/papers/GurvenKaplan2007pdr.pdf
    The data shows that modal adult lifespan is 68–78 years, and that it was not uncommon for individuals to reach these ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Indeed. Give me a relativly simple life anyday.
    I never see myself working 40hour weeks. I am not lazy or anything like that but it is just that i dont think i will need the money. I dont want to own a house and i dont want a fancy car. I dont think i will want 90% of the material possasions that the rest of society seems to crave. A small bit of land around me to grow some veg will also save alot of money. Any money that i do earn then will go into traveling.
    Granted this may all change if i decide to settle down/have kids. Have to think of them too.

See exatly where you are coming form OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Ah, the simple life. Very attractive indeed!

I'm sure you've all seen this before, but I'm going to post it anyway:

An American tourist was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The tourist complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The tourist then asked, "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?"

The Mexican said, "With this I have more than enough to support my family's needs."

The tourist then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The tourist scoffed, " I can help you. You should spend more time fishing; and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat: With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor; eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York where you could run your ever-expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

The tourist replied, "15 to 20 years."

"But what then?" asked the Mexican.

The tourist laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions?...Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Ah, the simple life. Very attractive indeed!

I'm sure you've all seen this before, but I'm going to post it anyway:

That sceal is after putting me in a good mood. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Oh most countries take that.

True, true, but most countries offer infrastructure that actually works....
    40% of your salary gets you precious little in Ireland.

I truly truly wonder what happened with all the money that flooded in from the EU in the boom years, I mean some wonderful things could have been done with it.

True, true, but most countries offer infrastructure that actually works....
    40% of your salary gets you precious little in Ireland.
    He's getting 60% of his salary; and this only applies to very high earners.

As has been previously said, average earners will pay in the region of 10% in income tax on their salary in effective terms, USC and PRSI will generally increase that to about 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote: »
    We have low infant mortality (i.e. good pre and post natal care) and antibiotics.

Those two alone would raise the life expectancy of any society by about 30 years.
    we could loose antibiotics soon
    stuff like MRSA and Tuberculosis and resistance spreading :(

still the Ruskies are working on phage so all may not be lost

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/faculty/gurven/papers/GurvenKaplan2007pdr.pdf
    The data shows that modal adult lifespan is 68–78 years, and that it was not uncommon for individuals to reach these ages

Even the bible says 3 score and 10 i.e 70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a constant life crisis?

i think so..i have one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

I haven't read the thread so don't know if anything similar has been mentioned, but at the minute I'm in cambodia working with an ngo and I have to say there are people here with nothing, absolutely nothing who are as content as anyone I've met.

I think theres a lot to be said for the simple life

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get married. Then fake your own death and collect the insurance.

I haven't read the thread so don't know if anything similar has been mentioned, but at the minute I'm in cambodia working with an ngo and I have to say there are people here with nothing, absolutely nothing who are as content as anyone I've met.

I think theres a lot to be said for the simple life
    I think people are confusing the simple life with free time.

The simple life isn't so simple either. The fact is it takes hard work to live off the grid. You could spend most of your time making food, any jobs or services that society provided now have to be built and maintained yourself. It's a big workload.

Our problem in the west is we made huge improvements to the efficiency of just about every part of our lifes. Instead of making do with what we'd achieved we chased the hope of riches and used all our spare time to try and make more profits.

Now we live in a society that can't even do as good as we did yesterday. Anything other than more growth or more profits is seen as failure. Any improvements we make will just be filled with more work time. We're working for corporations profit margins not our own quality of life.

There's absolutely no reason to live like that. We don't need to work 40 hour weeks, and we're fools to think we can have an ever growing economy, it grows and grows until it bursts and then the "elite" consolidate all our work into their own pockets and start the cycle again.

Very few office jobs offer a 3 day week. I would if I could.

The Apple plant in Hollyhill in Cork used to allow its manufacturing workers to work a 12 hour shift, 3 days a week. This was down from a 40 hour week when it was introduced so there was a minor pay cut which they made back again in time with yearly increases. it meant a 36 hour week in 3 days then 5 days off. Every month you switched shift so worked either 6 days in a row - switching from day to night or vice versa - or got 8 days off.

Anyway, Offices won't do that, and the rise of China means that's not going to be common in manufacturing, which is now there. It's the way things would've been, maybe, without glibalusation.

I would jump at that offer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Diapason wrote: »
    OP, it sounds like you need a sports car and an affair with a blonde half your age.

Jeez that sounds good, where can i get one of them lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anyway, Offices won't do that, and the rise of China means that's not going to be common in manufacturing, which is now there. It's the way things would've been, maybe, without glibalusation.
    China are good at making what we tell them to make. They aren't a patch on Europe when it comes to taking something from an idea right through to finished product. We're better at making everything and many cases we only use them to get cheap runs of minor and or simple parts in a bigger assembly.

Ireland has excellent high end engineering, we should really be making a bigger deal out of the quality of Irish products.

• Advertisement
Advertisement