Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obligations of a lease signer

Options
  • 30-07-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

Kind of a silly question here but I'm just wondering what are the obligations of a person who signs the lease on behalf of a group. I'm moving into a new house with two other people and neither of them are that willing to sign the lease. Could it be because they will be responsible if someone doesn't pay the deposit/rent? What is the lease signer liable for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jonah42 wrote: »
    Kind of a silly question here but I'm just wondering what are the obligations of a person who signs the lease on behalf of a group. I'm moving into a new house with two other people and neither of them are that willing to sign the lease. Could it be because they will be responsible if someone doesn't pay the deposit/rent? What is the lease signer liable for?

Please don't do this! Alarm bells ringing loudly here...

Why do they not want to sign?

You need the signatures of all tenants else yes you will be the fall guy legally and financially if the only signature is yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

? What is the lease signer liable for?

Absolutely everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

get out quick.......

get out quick.......

:)

I think they saw him coming....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Even if you sign jointly I think you are jointly and severally liable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unpaid bills in your name shall be unpaid bills in your name, even if your "friend" ran the bills up.

IMO, if they don't want to sign the lease, I'd see it as a sign of things to come, regarding bills, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Thanks for the replies.

So the best way to make sure things run smoothly as possible would be to make sure that each of us sign the lease, correct?

Thanks for the replies.

So the best way to make sure things run smoothly as possible would be to make sure that each of us sign the lease, correct?

Yes, and make them sign first also..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Thanks for the replies.

If they don't want to sign the lease they are obviously not dependable. Sharing with people like that will be a nightmare. They will be trying to dodge paying for everything all the time. Do not sign any lease involving them and do not put your name on any bills involving them. They are freeloaders and parasites.

Advertisement