Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies day, Galway races

Options
  • 30-07-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi just wondering how much tickets are for ladies day on Thursday and if you can just pay at the entrance? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Pay at the entrance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A ladies day you say?
    Anyone know if there's anything in the Equality Acts about the Galway Races Committe failing to name a day for gentlemen, girls, boys, transgenders etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They could just rename it to the more appropriate and gender-neutral "Sluts day".

Might not have the same marketing pull though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

JustMary wrote: »
    They could just rename it to the more appropriate and gender-neutral "Sluts day".

I'd go :cool:

couldn't help my self

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Might have a different kind of pull though! A Way Heyyyyy! Ah no, they are all lovely girls :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They'll be lovely wet girls this year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They'll be lovely wet girls this year :p
    Aren't they every year, zing ;)

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Might have a different kind of pull though! A Way Heyyyyy! Ah no, they are all lovely girls :P

My choice of words was not accidental ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

Might have a Geldings' Day for some of you colts.

Thats a bit nasty.

• Advertisement

Thats a bit nasty.

But not untrue. Ladylike behaviour will be in extremely short supply on the day in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

If a guy posted that comment just Mary he would be banned. Outrageous comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

But not untrue. Ladylike behaviour will be in extremely short supply on the day in question.

that's a horrible generalisation justmary. Okay there are young ones and young lads very excited on the day and don't even make it to the Races, but I would definitely not call everyone that dresses up on Ladies Day, a slut. Way off the mark with that one.

that's a horrible generalisation justmary. Okay there are young ones and young lads very excited on the day and don't even make it to the Races, but I would definitely not call everyone that dresses up on Ladies Day, a slut. Way off the mark with that one.

My comments are made based on observed behaviour, both at the racecourse and in the streets afterwards, by people of all ages, in previous years. They have nothing to do with dress. And you will notice that I suggested that the s-word applied to both genders.

I don't believe that a man would have been banned for what I posted:- among other things, the mods have no reliable way of knowing people's gender. But if you want to test this, the report-post button is in the left hand panel ... be my guest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Let me say my bit as a remove my monocle and top hat accordingly.

Sluts Day isn't a good grasp of the actual day IMO. The majority of people I see at the Races dress fine and act fine too. You'll get some people who are embarrass themselves sure but that's what happens when such a big crowd turns up to an event that isn't exactly dry as the Sahara if you get my drift. You'll always have the teens between the stands ****faced but I was like that at that age too.

If the weather is awful you'll have a lot more covered up females so let's pray for sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

My comments are made based on observed behaviour, both at the racecourse and in the streets afterwards, by people of all ages, in previous years. They have nothing to do with dress. And you will notice that I suggested that the s-word applied to both genders.

I don't believe that a man would have been banned for what I posted:- among other things, the mods have no reliable way of knowing people's gender. But if you want to test this, the report-post button is in the left hand panel ... be my guest.

Reported. Hopefully you get a lifetime ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

R0UF wrote: »
    Reported. Hopefully you get a lifetime ban.
    You need to get out more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Let me say my bit as a remove my monocle and top hat accordingly.

Sluts Day isn't a good grasp of the actual day IMO. The majority of people I see at the Races dress fine and act fine too. You'll get some people who are embarrass themselves sure but that's what happens when such a big crowd turns up to an event that isn't exactly dry as the Sahara if you get my drift. You'll always have the teens between the stands ****faced but I was like that at that age too.

If the weather is awful you'll have a lot more covered up females so let's pray for sun.

My favorite race time memory was seeing a young lad dressed in a nice suit outside Charcoal Grill by Middle Street eating a food scraps he found on the ground.

People do dress fine....but you can put a tie on a pig...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

And your post is so lady like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Im pretty sure if there was an issue with JustMarys comments then Sgt. Biko would have dealt with it. Swiftly. Thread closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

All I can give on this is a little personal perspective...

I've a little nearly two year old girl, as you can imagine, the apple of my eye. My wife suggested the last day that we might bring her to the Races some evening (we wouldn't even consider going on "Ladies'" Day). The thought filled me with horror. I don't want my little one going to an event where public drunkenness and poor behaviour is celebrated. Whether you like it or not, Ladies' Day and the Races in general are pretty appalling in that the atrocious behaviour of a minority is accepted. The usual, ah shure it's not everyone excuse is trotted out.

I don't buy the whole there's drink everywhere excuse. There was loads of drink at the Ocean Racing event, yet any age could attend that comfortably.

Sluts' day? Maybe a bit strongly worded. Maybe a little bit OTT. Ladies' Day? Definitely not, unless fake bake and too much to drink constitutes a lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, let's leave this sluts debacle behind us now and focus on the good things about Ladies Day.
    kinetic wrote: »
    If a guy posted that comment just Mary he would be banned. Outrageous comment.
    Report post instead of backseat modding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This year a 15 year old on their own or with other 15 year olds will pay adult prices in while a 15 year old en famille gets in free. That will quiten things down up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

churchview wrote: »

I've a little nearly two year old girl, as you can imagine, the apple of my eye. My wife suggested the last day that we might bring her to the Races some evening (we wouldn't even consider going on "Ladies'" Day). The thought filled me with horror. I don't want my little one going to an event where public drunkenness and poor behaviour is celebrated. Whether you like it or not, Ladies' Day and the Races in general are pretty appalling in that the atrocious behaviour of a minority is accepted. The usual, ah shure it's not everyone excuse is trotted out.

I don't buy the whole there's drink everywhere excuse. There was loads of drink at the Ocean Racing event, yet any age could attend that comfortably.

Sluts' day? Maybe a bit strongly worded. Maybe a little bit OTT. Ladies' Day? Definitely not, unless fake bake and too much to drink constitutes a lady.

Ah here, look it might get a bit rowdy in town after the races, but I've been going to the races the last 8 years and have yet to be in any way shocked by any behaviour at the races itself. The vast vast majority of people at the racecourse are there to have a good time, have a few drinks yes, place a few bets, and cheer on the horses they've backed. If I had a 2-year-old I would certainly not bring her into Quay St after the races, but I'd have no bother bringing her to the racecourse, and I'd be pretty sure she wouldn't be shocked by anything she saw.
    If you think behaviour at the racecourse is "atrocious", then you've clearly led a very sheltered life. You're conflating Race Week in general with the Galway Races, they are 2 separate things, and I'm sure many of the drunken idiots don't even go anywhere near Ballybrit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

why would you bring a 2 year old to the Races? Even if you didn't go into the Racecourse side, she would be too young for the kids rides on the kids side of the racecourse (where there are vasts amounts of kids during the day).

There is nothing wrong with Ladies Day - its a bit of fun, and a chance to get dressed up - for somebody to call it "Sluts Day" is completely irrational.

I hope Ladies Day is a great experience for those who have made the effort to do something different and I hope the rain keeps away for ye.

don't forget to bring your flip flops - walking in high heels is a killer.

Have fun and never mind the begrudgers. :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    If you think behaviour at the racecourse is "atrocious", then you've clearly led a very sheltered life.

Not sure what qualifies you to comment on my life but anyway...
    Zzippy wrote: »
    You're conflating Race Week in general with the Galway Races, they are 2 separate things, and I'm sure many of the drunken idiots don't even go anywhere near Ballybrit.

Fair point to an extent

why would you bring a 2 year old to the Races?

I don't know...maybe to see horses? But granted, they do seem to be pretty much an irrelevance...

You have obviously never been to the race course if the above is your opinion. I been at everyday of the summer festival bar a handfull of days every year for the last 14 or so years and I never see any of the crap you posted above. It is just as suitable for a child as the ocean race, Im sick of people saying the ocean race crowd is "so much better" its bull.

Obviously in town at night is not the place for a child but it is no more suitable during the ocean race, there is literally no difference on the streets of galway between the two events but people who dislike the races just pretend there is. I have been on the streets for both ocean races and every year for the races and overall I see absolutely no difference in behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

biko wrote: »
    and focus on the good things about Ladies Day.
    ... the dolled-up and oft-drunken lasses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

You have obviously never been to the race course if the above is your opinion. I been at everyday of the summer festival bar a handfull of days every year for the last 14 or so years and I never see any of the crap you posted above. It is just as suitable for a child as the ocean race, Im sick of people saying the ocean race crowd is "so much better" its bull.

Obviously in town at night is not the place for a child but it is no more suitable during the ocean race, there is literally no difference on the streets of galway between the two events but people who dislike the races just pretend there is. I have been on the streets for both ocean races and every year for the races and overall I see absolutely no difference in behavior.

I work in the hospitality trade and I can tell you there is a BIG difference between Ocean race and Race week crowds. The majority of (but not all) latter have no concept of the words "please" and "thank you".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement