Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies day, Galway races

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Obviously in town at night is not the place for a child but it is no more suitable during the ocean race, there is literally no difference on the streets of galway between the two events

I actually like the races (though not when it's mad busy).

But I live in town and can absolutely say that there's a huge difference between the crowds. Not as big a difference this year as there was in 2009, but still a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

how much is it in for students tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

According to some stats read out on the tv coverage earlier, they admitted 3 women for every one man on ladies day last year.
    That might be worth considering for some male boards users before they rule it out.
    For female boards users you may continue giving out, that is a LOT of competition in fairness. I won't be going. :)

3 days down, 4 to go. Sick as a pig from drink but roll on hurdle day, can't wait to get back up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I avoid town during race week,day time you are subjected to the worst of it but enter a pub and it's full of numpties without manners.
    The usual places tomorrow will have the true idiots in massive attendanc,g hotel,skeff,quays etc.
    Go into these places at your pearl,feel sorry for the staff as they are the ones who have to accept the rudeness and bad behaviour.

• Advertisement

Sappa wrote: »
    I avoid town during race week,day time you are subjected to the worst of it but enter a pub and it's full of numpties without manners.
    The usual places tomorrow will have the true idiots in massive attendanc,g hotel,skeff,quays etc.
    Go into these places at your pearl,feel sorry for the staff as they are the ones who have to accept the rudeness and bad behaviour.

Bla bla bla...... Best week of the year bar none!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Bla bla bla...... Best week of the year bar none!!
    Nope it's certainly not the best week for many,were not all into rude crowds in bars,debauchery on the streets,litter everywhere,increased prices,traffic chaos and a smell of self importance from many of the race goers.
    The Arts festival beats it hands down.

Nope it's certainly not the best week for many,were not all into rude crowds in bars,debauchery on the streets,litter everywhere,increased prices,traffic chaos and a smell of self importance from many of the race goers.
    The Arts festival beats it hands down.

Arts festival better than the races.. I've heard it all now!!

You could give me a free holiday anywhere in the world during race week and I wouldnt take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

There'll be a river of fake tan running out of Ballybritt if it rains out there, judging by the crowd in Eyre Square at the moment. :D

I was in early at work the day after Ladies Day last year, and the Square was literally covered in puke, Supermacs wrappers and young lads going around in a dazed state at six in the morning.

It was fairly horrific. I'm in again at six tomorrow morning and i'm slightly apprehensive about going through Eyre Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Jayzus there was a fair bit of mutton dressed as lamb around the town today. Then you have the young lads trying to look classy with the aul tie thrown on and some of them were even wearing suits - Id say some of them never wore a suit before in their lives but they were all heading up to the races after the young wans. Saw a few of them staggering around the place at 11am with bottles of beer and the tie at half mast (real class) heading up to the square for the buses out to Ballybrit.

To be honest I'd say all this ladies day crack has done is turn off the genuine racegoers who don't want to be surrounded by tarted up burds and pisséd young fellas who are only there after the burds. Then when you stay at home to watch the nags on the telly, all RTE does is bore you with pictures of young wans with skirts up to their árses and then you have to listen to awful ****é about where some wan got her hat. Why don't they just dispense with the actual horse racing on this particular day in future and just have the bars open (€5 pint in a plastic glass)? - Sure they should even turn off the lights in the bars and turn on the blaring "thump thump" "music" and the clientelle on so called "Ladies day" would feel right at home.

At the end of the evening then, Supermac could park one of his mobile chippers outside the racecourse complete with picnic chairs. Seriously, between so called celebrities (i think trigger was up their today and yer wan who used to present that gawd awful program from a different country every week in just a bikini) and all the drivel, it would just turn you off completely. God be with the days when the breweries used to have the aul tents out in the middle of the course and you could get a pint in a glass (at normal prices).

I'd wager most of the people who go racing on this particular day wouldn't know one end of a horse from the other!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

scholar007 wrote: »
    Jayzus there was a fair bit of mutton dressed as lamb around the town today. Then you have the young lads trying to look classy with the aul tie thrown on and some of them were even wearing suits - Id say some of them never wore a suit before in their lives but they were all heading up to the races after the young wans. Saw a few of them staggering around the place at 11am with bottles of beer and the tie at half mast (real class) heading up to the square for the buses out to Ballybrit.

To be honest I'd say all this ladies day crack has done is turn off the genuine racegoers who don't want to be surrounded by tarted up burds and pisséd young fellas who are only there after the burds. Then when you stay at home to watch the nags on the telly, all RTE does is bore you with pictures of young wans with skirts up to their árses and then you have to listen to awful ****é about where some wan got her hat. Why don't they just dispense with the actual horse racing on this particular day in future and just have the bars open (€5 pint in a plastic glass)? - Sure they should even turn off the lights in the bars and turn on the blaring "thump thump" "music" and the clientelle on so called "Ladies day" would feel right at home.

At the end of the evening then, Supermac could park one of his mobile chippers outside the racecourse complete with picnic chairs. Seriously, between so called celebrities (i think trigger was up their today and yer wan who used to present that gawd awful program from a different country every week in just a bikini) and all the drivel, it would just turn you off completely. God be with the days when the breweries used to have the aul tents out in the middle of the course and you could get a pint in a glass (at normal prices).

I'd wager most of the people who go racing on this particular day wouldn't know one end of a horse from the other!
    Great post, really sums up the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I work in a hotel in town and have been dealing with ignorant arseholes all week. Those who think there isn't a difference between the ocean race crowd and race week crowd haven't a clue what they're talking about. I'd take 52 ocean race weeks over 1 race week any day! Roll on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I work in a hotel in town and have been dealing with ignorant arseholes all week. Those who think there isn't a difference between the ocean race crowd and race week crowd haven't a clue what they're talking about. I'd take 52 ocean race weeks over 1 race week any day! Roll on Monday!

I work in hospitality and I feel the same way. Ocean race was definitely a much better atmosphere. Walked through town to work at nine and saw so many bare bums hanging out of dresses and those in them hunched over puking in the street. Role on Monday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

That reminds me of another good Race Week memory. A housemate of mine when I was in college rarely worked in his life. He went home during the summers but came up to go out in Galway on the Saturday of race week. When he was at the bar he was talking to a friend and must have been fairly loud joking about how he was sat on his arse all summer playing video games etc. The girl working behind the bar flipped out and refused to serve him because she'd been worked off her feet for the last week. As someone who did work during college I found it funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I think the zombie apocalypse has begun. Passed through Eyre Square this morning and the amount of young lads staggering around the place is unreal.

The place is a total kip atm as well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

ArtyC wrote: »
    I work in hospitality and I feel the same way. Ocean race was definitely a much better atmosphere. Walked through town to work at nine and saw so many bare bums hanging out of dresses and those in them hunched over puking in the street. Role on Monday!!!

Feeling is mutual guys, what a bunch of arseholes this week. I feel sorry for those who love the sport and have to deal with these bellends dragging their reputation through the mud. I can't tar all the race crowd with the same brush as I have had mighty craic serving some real racing enthusists this week, guys who have been here for years and plan their holidays around it, but unfortunatley they are thin on the ground this year, now its mostly ignorant, arrogant, and well just pretty much brain dead messes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The amount of sh1te and exaggeration being sprouted here is laughable, it's like reading something out of The Sun newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I hate to say it but thank god for plastic glasses. I walked home through a sea of plastic around three this morning but couldn't help being reminded of a few years ago when I used to have to negotiate my way through a layer of broken glass all the way through town.

padi89 wrote: »
    The amount of sh1te and exaggeration being sprouted here is laughable, it's like reading something out of The Sun newspaper.

What "sh1ite and exaggeration" are you referring to exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

The awkward moment when padi89 realises its HIM people are actually talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Anyone got a picture of the best dressed on ladies day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Its clear that there are a few posters here that are part of the drunken crowd being reffered to. They are in denial that there are issues. One only had to look around Eyre square or quay street last night to see the craziness and daftness of groups of individuals acting the prat. I know it's not fair to tar everyone with the same brush but to completely deny that there was any drunken stupidity going on is in itself crazy. There is a massive difference in the town during this week and the ocean race. I don't work in hospitality but i've seen enough on both weeks to know that. Of course i don't expect people locked out of their heads this week to be good judges on the behaviour of others. The square looked like a bomb hit it last night.

Anyone got a picture of the best dressed on ladies day?

Here ya go https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/576035_10151073862066941_1387438307_n.jpg

I was out there yesterday for the first time in a few years (got free tickets and wasn't busy in work)

I prefer a quieter evening but the crowds were manageable. Went early and left early to avoid traffic. Won some money. Didn't go out last night. Overall I had a good time.

Negatives - there were a lot of drunk teenagers there dressed for a nightclub, the weather was poor and a party started somewhere in my apartment block at about 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Woken up twice last night by lads having fights nearby.

Could still see drunken gob****es walking down the street at 6:30, and again at 9.

What "sh1ite and exaggeration" are you referring to exactly?

That it's in general an ar5ehole crowd with ar5ehole behaviour EVERYWHERE. Let's be real here it's a minority acting the idiot but it seems obvious here that anyone that enjoys the week seems to get generalized into this group. I rarely have a drink and if i do it's very little so I'm not blind to what i see going on around me. I have yet to see any trouble in all the years i have attended both on and off the track. I don't get this holier than thou Volvo Ocean Crowd either, i attended 4 nights of it this year and enjoyed them all but it wasn't any different to any other busy event, a few ar5eholes here and there. It's the same generalizations every year on this forum yet there are never any reports of massive increases in arrests for the amount of people in the town.

barryd09 wrote: »
    The awkward moment when padi89 realises its HIM people are actually talking about.

We'll i haven't had a drink this week so your point is mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

It's a horrible crowd and a horrible atmosphere. The most overrated bag of sh*te in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I do tend to avoid town for Race Week. Very different crowd to Arts Festival/Volvo. There's loads of reasons for this - reasons why people would come to either events, demographic each attracts etc.

Loads of people I know avoid town or leave completely on race week. I've a few friends that love the craic of the actual races, but 'wish there weren't so many messers' around. Anyone I know in hospitality seems to way prefer the Volvo crowd, and I suppose they're the people that most have to deal with Joe public every day, so there must be something in it.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement