Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies day, Galway races

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

At the risk of sounding like an alcoholic cheapskate.

Can I bring in to the enclosure a backpack filled with €1.79 pint bottles of Franziskaner; or will I have to drink €5 plastic pints glasses of Heineken.

Also what's the entrance fee this evening, is there a discount rate for students?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I was in town yesterday and I noticed that there wasn't half as many people dressed up walking around the town this year. Did anyone else find that it was a much more low key affair during the daytime yesterday in town with the Ladies Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

What will saturday and sunday night be like? I imagine it would be alot quiter than the wed,thur,fri of race week would it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'd imagine sat will be crazy, maybe those who can't afford to do the week may just to the weekend..... Just my own opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

mickey1985 wrote: »
    What will saturday and sunday night be like? I imagine it would be alot quiter than the wed,thur,fri of race week would it.

No it will still be very busy, you'll have a lot of people around for the bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

padi89 wrote: »

No it will still be very busy, you'll have a lot of people around for the bank holiday weekend.
    I can't wait until this horse racing nonsense is over and we get our city back from the louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sappa wrote: »
    I can't wait until this horse racing nonsense is over and we get our city back from the louts.
    See its that kind of nonsense posting that pushes anyone agreeing that some get too drunk and act the gob****e to turn to the racing side of the argument.

Phone Finnegan then, he loves the moaners.

Phone Finnegan then, he loves the moaners.
    I can wait a few days and after all the race crowd have been happily fleeced and gone,the locals can return to a cleaner nicer atmosphere.
    If the race crowd could behave themselves a little better then we wouldn't feel the need to voice our concern about their behaviour year in year out.

I can wait a few days and after all the race crowd have been happily fleeced and gone,the locals can return to a cleaner nicer atmosphere.
    If the race crowd could behave themselves a little better then we wouldn't feel the need to voice our concern about their behaviour year in year out.
    Still waiting for any news story or reports on the debauchery that is so rampant every year during race week . . . . . Surely if it's THAT bad there should at least be a paragraph or so somewhere, Rag Week made the National News ?
    You know when it's on every year so if it's as bad as you say just head off for the week. Your clean, nicer city would be properly screwed if it were not for the races, it's a huge boost to the local economy.

• Advertisement

Still waiting for any news story or reports on the debauchery that is so rampant every year during race week . . . . . Surely if it's THAT bad there should at least be a paragraph or so somewhere, Rag Week made the National News ?
    You know when it's on every year so if it's as bad as you say just head off for the week. Your clean, nicer city would be properly screwed if it were not for the races, it's a huge boost to the local economy.
    Ha that's laughable,as if Galway would fold without race week,I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

I'd find it's the same people giving out about race week as they are rag week.

Fold? Did I say that? Your exaggerating again same old same old.
    Race week brings in an average of around €60 million to the local economy and that's with recent falling numbers. That's a banker every year for local businesses which no doubt helps massively for the quiter times. You may not like it but people are prepared to spend, the Arts Festival brings in €20 million which is great but I know which Festival businesses would rather have.

Fold? Did I say that? Your exaggerating again same old same old.
    Race week brings in an average of around €60 million to the local economy and that's with recent falling numbers. That's a banker every year for local businesses which no doubt helps massively for the quiter times. You may not like it but people are prepared to spend, the Arts Festival brings in €20 million which is great but I know which Festival businesses would rather have.
    Properly screwed were your words.

That's correct, good man your starting to admit the truth now.

If you cannot understand how much of an impact removing €60 million from the local economy would make especially in these times then I'm afraid your deluded.

That's correct, good man your starting to admit the truth now.

If you cannot understand how much of an impact removing €60 million from the local economy would make especially in these times then I'm afraid your deluded.
    What your saying is Galway could not survive without the races,yes it could easily.
    Now the added cash injection while nowhere near 60 million is a bonus for businesses but they could survive without it.
    The point being made by me and others on this thread is that the week would be so much better if it was not overrun by obnoxious inebriated crowds that frequent this event mainly without any interest in the horses but solely on the drink.
    I appreciate the sport but not what goes with it,your obviously happy to frequent town when it's like this I am not,simples.
    Thread has been thrown way off topic so I am out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MichaelGUFC

Plate day FTW :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I'm not much of a fan of the races myself. Mostly because I'm not into horse racing. Going out in town over the week is a bit cack too, nevermind some people going crazy drinking the place is just too full to be enjoyable IMO.

The most fun I have had during race week in the past is to go to a few pubs on one day of the week whilst the races are on and make a few bets at the bookies. Off home when it's finished. Way less hassle than the big day out and far cheaper.

Maybe I'm just a mean buzzkill though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Heard some bird moanin in Salthill today that all her friend does is sit and sip champagne up at the tent when she goes off and puts a few yo yos on the gee gees. I got the impression that maybe she thinks her friend should get up off her árse and participate a bit more. My God the Galway Races ladies day has turned into a drinkfest for tarted up women! The AA should have a drop in centre on ladies day in Ballybrit. Will somebody please think of the children.

What a week, like every year, racing every day and drinking the head off myself since Wednesday, losing money and living off the cure every day but I wouldn't swap it for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I went in for a look on Tuesday. Thought the crowds were a bit smaller.
    Some people must still have lots of money if they can afford to go out and get pissed drunk with the price you would have to pay for a pint in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I went in for a look on Tuesday. Thought the crowds were a bit smaller.
    Some people must still have lots of money if they can afford to go out and get pissed drunk with the price you would have to pay for a pint in the city.

I'm sure some do. Though I also remember going to the Chinese in Salthill after just getting home from work one evening during the races last year and meeting a guy I went to school with telling me he just got back from Australia a few months ago and had been on the dole ever since. He was lifting a box of bottles and two bottles of wine. If you ever want to depress yourself, work and live in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GALWAYLAD777

I think the zombie apocalypse has begun. Passed through Eyre Square this morning and the amount of young lads staggering around the place is unreal.

The place is a total kip atm as well. :(

Couldn't agree more, I passed the Skeff today and this guy (not young like the rest of the babies at the races this year) was coming out of the accomodation side of the hotel foaming at the mouth like a dog with rabies dramatically looking for somewhere to vomit... Those of us walking up through Eyre Square were all disgusted as he continued to heave... The place looked a tip as well, all sticky and grotty, especially arounf Supermacs in Eyre Square which really brings down Eyre Square altogether... I love a Supermacs Burger, dont get me wrong, but I never go to Supermacs in Eyre Square, its a blight on Eyre Square.. lads sitting around outside it today looked positively disgusting... Ireland will never lose its name of being an alco nation.. I like a drink, but have a little class or decorum when drinking in public.. Galway is turning into a real pisshole altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Ahh, the stale smell of piss on eyre square in the mornings.

I agree, here here!! Its such a tacky week now. Old hat IMHO.

I can see what you mean entirely. You get the best of it without all the hassle.

Had an excellent week as usual, didn't do great with the horses but the nights out made up for it. Can't wait again until next year, it's a guaranteed good time every year. Stayed off the booze altogether this year, thought it wouldn't be easy but the atmosphere was so good i didn't mind at all.

Disappointed to hear about all the anti-social behavior this year on here. I didn't see any of it myself but i'm sure i'll be hearing and reading all about it in the local media. Galway falls quite again and the begrudgers are happy for a few weeks. . . . . until the students arrive back. If race week is full of louts i can't wait to see the posting on rag week, should be a laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I can see what you mean entirely. You get the best of it without all the hassle.
    Jees we know you hate the Races but you are now replying to posts that dont exist!!!!:confused:

Couldn't agree more, I passed the Skeff today and this guy (not young like the rest of the babies at the races this year) was coming out of the accomodation side of the hotel foaming at the mouth like a dog with rabies dramatically looking for somewhere to vomit... Those of us walking up through Eyre Square were all disgusted as he continued to heave... The place looked a tip as well, all sticky and grotty, especially arounf Supermacs in Eyre Square which really brings down Eyre Square altogether... I love a Supermacs Burger, dont get me wrong, but I never go to Supermacs in Eyre Square, its a blight on Eyre Square.. lads sitting around outside it today looked positively disgusting... Ireland will never lose its name of being an alco nation.. I like a drink, but have a little class or decorum when drinking in public.. Galway is turning into a real pisshole altogether...

Who gives a damn if a lad is sick as a pig, people are really short of complaints if this is the sort of thing thats bothering them. Id have found that funny and sure its not like we all don't end up in similar condition from time to time.

Its all part of the show as the fella says.

We have one of the greatest events in the world on our door step and all people do is complain about it, you wont get craic like the streets of Galway race week anywhere. Its sickens me to read all the crap from people, especially when Im back at work wishing it was all just starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Who gives a damn if a lad is sick as a pig, people are really short of complaints if this is the sort of thing thats bothering them. Id have found that funny and sure its not like we all don't end up in similar condition from time to time.

Its all part of the show as the fella says.

I think you have summed up the attitude in town, and why a lot of people avoid it during race week! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement