Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cobh a sh!t hole?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 3:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭

I'm a Cork noob having recently moved down here. I'm currently living in the city but may be relocating to cobh for work. A few city folk told me it's a scanger infested hell hole. Well ..
    I've come here for a second opinion! What do ye cork folk think of cobh ? Will I get stabbed the minute I step off the bus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

its not that bad, but i wouldnt personally live there, feck all to do unless you drive .

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I used to live there.

Cobh is a pretty terrible town to live in,i couldn't wait to get out of it.

Avoid if possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

I used to live there.

Cobh is a pretty terrible town to live in,i couldn't wait to get out of it.

Avoid if possible.

Care to explain why?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

I think it looks like a nice town and have no bad experiences there, but I know three people who live there and they all use that same word: sh*thole.

So I think that says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I never had a bad experience there myself but I have only been in the town a half dozen times myself.

Now on the other hand I have heard plenty of terrible stories about it and the impression I'm given is that it is a rough town, but as I said I haven't had a bad experience there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I paid a visit down there for the Titanic Anniversary and thought the place looked VERY shabby. Presumably that was when the people of Cobh had made an effort given the large influx of tourists that would be visiting so that says a lot about how the place has gone downhill over the years.

-Countless numbers of flower pots with weeds growing out of them.
    -Shabby Building fascias that at the very least need to be repainted.
    -Discount Euro shops everywhere
    -No half decent supermarket anywhere nearby
    -A long journey to the city center.
    -Night life can be very rough.

Id avoid it if you can.

EDIT: I also had a buddy who lived quite close to the railway station (Back east and up the hill) and he had countless stories of coming across junkies from time to time. That could be a rarity though. Im just sharing his experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

I lived in Carrigtwohill a while and although a small enough village around 2000 people I found it to have a great community spirit. Night life is non existent if you are into clubing but tho Guinness is great in most of the pubs who are very accomodating. You also have the Cork Midleton train. If you have a car then Midleton & Cobh only 7 & 10 minute drive, Mahon and town around 15 mins. Also you have some great places to eat Bramley lodge, Fota, The Elm tree and The Rising tide within a few minutes.
    Wouldn't live in Cobh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hey, it's the monthly "Cobh is a ****hole" thread"

I live there, and to recap previous threads: Cobh is pretty much the same as any other large town in the country; probably no better, but certainly no worse. The stories of roving gangs of scumbags are, to the say the least, exaggerated. In fact, I can say I've NEVER had any hassle there.

Hogzy wrote: »
    -Countless numbers of flower pots with weeds growing out of them - given the highly visible activities of the Tidy Town crew, out in force twice a week and having recently won a Tidy Towns award, I doubt this is true.
    -Shabby Building fascias that at the very least need to be repainted - certainly true in some cases.
    -Discount Euro shops everywhere - there's two I think?
    -No half decent supermarket anywhere nearby - LOL, there's a Lidl, Aldi and Supervalu all next to each other.
    -A long journey to the city center - not especially, and often quicker than Douglas at peak hours. Get the train if you don't fancy driving.
    -Night life can be very rough - there's certainly two, maybe three dodgy pubs, but which town doesn't have these? The nightclub is, admittedly, a bit on the wild side - although I'd imagine this is more a function of its being the only nightclub in East Cork more than anything else.

Id avoid it if you can.

EDIT: I also had a buddy who lived quite close to the railway station (Back east and up the hill) and he had countless stories of coming across junkies from time to time. That could be a rarity though. Im just sharing his experiences.
    I've never heard any reports of junkies in Cobh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Feel like I shouldn’t feed ye but here goes anyway

As a resident of Cobh I feel I have to give it its fair share of praise to counter the few negative comments here. Maybe I am biased but I have lived in other towns and they all have their pros and cons. I fell Cobh has many more Pros than cons

For a start lets clear a few things up
    skoomi wrote: »
    Will I get stabbed the minute I step off the bus?
    There is no bus service to Cobh – train only and its a pretty good service (only thing is that there is no late night trains after 10.30 or 11)
    its not that bad, but i wouldnt personally live there, feck all to do unless you drive .
    There is lots to do (see list below) and driving is not required (unless you are lazy)
    Vivara wrote: »
    I think it looks like a nice town and have no bad experiences there, but I know three people who live there and they all use that same word: sh*thole.

So I think that says it all.
    second hand info is never the best - try the town for yourself
    I never had a bad experience there myself but I have only been in the town a half dozen times myself.

Now on the other hand I have heard plenty of terrible stories about it and the impression I'm given is that it is a rough town, but as I said I haven't had a bad experience there.
    The town had a bad name for being rough years ago. This was not helped by the fact that it is a port town that would get bad press for the odd scrape between sailors and townies but that element has long since gone and the town now is as rough as any town of comparable size – probably less rough than many places.
    Hogzy wrote: »
    I paid a visit down there for the Titanic Anniversary and thought the place looked VERY shabby. Presumably that was when the people of Cobh had made an effort given the large influx of tourists that would be visiting so that says a lot about how the place has gone downhill over the years.

-Countless numbers of flower pots with weeds growing out of them.
    -Shabby Building fascias that at the very least need to be repainted.
    -Discount Euro shops everywhere
    -No half decent supermarket anywhere nearby
    -A long journey to the city center.
    -Night life can be very rough.

Id avoid it if you can.

flower pots with weeds - It was April – not many flowers growing at that time of year in Ireland. Come and have a look now as there are flowers everywhere (too many in some places!)

Shabby Building fascias - Ireland and recession – not much you can do about that really (Tidy Towns group are painting lots of unused buildings out of their own pocket)

Discount Euro shops everywhere - There is 1 discount store in the town

No half decent supermarket anywhere nearby - There is a large Centra in the town centre and there is an Aldi, Lidl, Supervalu in a business park 3 mins from the town centre and also a large Londis at the other end of the town

A long journey to the city center - 25 mins by car or train is not a long journey

Night life can be very rough - Night life can be as rough as you make it. There are many bars and restaurants that can make for a great night out but if you want to fight then you can go around the town looking for a fight and I am sure get in to one. There is a night club in the town that is well policed but its like anywhere else – there will always be an element of trouble makers

a buddy who lived quite close to the railway station (Back east and up the hill) - Your buddy obviously is not living near the train station as trains don’t tend to go up hill and the station is on the west of the town.

Short list of things to do

Sports clubs – rugby, football, GAA, hockey, Tennis, athletics, triathlon, cycling, swimming, sailing clubs, rowing clubs
    Other clubs – photography, cinema club, walking, writing, drama, historical society.

Swimming pool and gym, sailing and water sports, one of the best tennis clubs in the country, scenic walks, historic sites, Tours and walks, harbour trips etc. and good youth clubs and a great brand new community centre

There are many very good restaurants and some really nice pubs in the town there is also a lot of history attached to the town with a museum, Heritage centre and Titanic Experience exhibition and many interesting people in the town too. There is lots to do if you are not lazy and are willing to get involved. The choice of schools is good and crèche facilities and kids playgrounds etc are good too
    Cobh has its negatives too, there is no money in the town council and they struggle sometimes. The recession has closed many shops and businesses. Parking can be a nightmare and the town lacks a cinema or things for teenagers to do but there are other things to do if you go out and try

All in all it is not a bad place to live but that’s my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've never heard any reports of junkies in Cobh.

I have. I do mostly listen to 96FM radio in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Kenny_K75

I wonder what beautiful sunkissed parts of Cork you all live in? The level of ignorance displayed on this thread is the reason the country is in the mess its in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmmm again I have not lived there myself but have gone out in Cobh which was mm well really there was no need for it at alll. The people werent awfully friendly.

I would think if you were an older person going to settle there and had family in the spot you would be ok, but if your yougish and you sound young i would stay far away..

There is no reason as far as I can see to live there, fine you have the train as transport and the ferry but they will only get you so far if you do not walk very very long distances or drive...It does have a nice few things to see there but then you can do that on a day trip

My other half lived there before and hated the place, the neighbours were a constant nightmare he had loadsa trouble with them even reported to the poloice but they done nought..

If i was you i would avoid most definatly, try Carrigtwohill perhaps

Milly33 wrote: »
    mmmm again I have not lived there myself but have gone out in Cobh which was mm well really there was no need for it at alll. The people werent awfully friendly.

I would think if you were an older person going to settle there and had family in the spot you would be ok, but if your yougish and you sound young i would stay far away..

There is no reason as far as I can see to live there, fine you have the train as transport and the ferry but they will only get you so far if you do not walk very very long distances or drive...It does have a nice few things to see there but then you can do that on a day trip

My other half lived there before and hated the place, the neighbours were a constant nightmare he had loadsa trouble with them even reported to the poloice but they done nought..

If i was you i would avoid most definatly, try Carrigtwohill perhaps

Why would you advise staying away if you are young? There is lots to do and really its going to be the same as moving to any town - it will take a while to get involved but if you make the effort then you cant go wrong.

Carrigtwohill is nice but there is not a lot to do there other than get home from work and go to your house - no real amenities that I am aware of. Its got good priced houses and the road in and out is good but not a lot else going on there really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It just really has nothing to appeal to the younger or I suppose middle ages but younger than 40 age group. fine if you like going for walks or going to a few historical places then great but going out wise, where the club cant think of its name but dear lord im sure you would get sick of that after a while..I think tis one of those places like passage unless your in there with someone then your bound to be bored

Milly33 wrote: »
    It just really has nothing to appeal to the younger or I suppose middle ages but younger than 40 age group. fine if you like going for walks or going to a few historical places then great but going out wise, where the club cant think of its name but dear lord im sure you would get sick of that after a while..I think tis one of those places like passage unless your in there with someone then your bound to be bored

There is loads to do if you are young - see my post above about all the clubs and facilities. There are lots of bars to suit all ages lots of restaurants and the only nightclub east of Cork city. That to me constitutes enough to do and should keep someone happy enough whatever age they are

• Registered Users Posts: 9 booboo12

Omg Cobh is not fantastic by no means but it's defientily not as bad as people make it out to be... Der a decent night life and only fights and trouble if you go looking for it and as for weeds in the flower beds by god if someone is that desperate to fault the town then maybe they shouldn't visit in the first place... Not to mention Cobh tidy towns have done fantastic work in making Cobh look well ..so I suggest instead of looking for pros and cons on a website come down and experience Cobh for urself ... Ever here d quote never judge a book by its cover..

booboo12 wrote: »
    Omg Cobh is not fantastic by no means but it's defientily not as bad as people make it out to be... Der a decent night life and only fights and trouble if you go looking for it and as for weeds in the flower beds by god if someone is that desperate to fault the town then maybe they shouldn't visit in the first place... Not to mention Cobh tidy towns have done fantastic work in making Cobh look well ..so I suggest instead of looking for pros and cons on a website come down and experience Cobh for urself ... Ever here d quote never judge a book by its cover..

Totally agree - its a nice place to live but sure enough it has its faults as many places have. It isn't perfect but there are things to do and its a heck of a lot better than it was years ago. I don't understand all the hate on here for the place and think people are judging it without ever experiencing it. As booboo12 says if you are that picky about finding faults then move to somewhere that has no faults (I think you will find that's going to be hard town to find as nowhere is perfect)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Dear God - here we go again............

I'm sick to death of the constant downing of Cobh - and have HAPPILY lived here for the past 9 years - surrounded by neighbours of all colour/age/creed who are extremely friendly. I feel very safe living in Cobh.

I can't keep repeating the virtues of Cobh every few weeks and arguing with non residents - so please, please, please, to the OP - look up previous threads as there have been quite a few recently where COBH appears in the thread. Or in my ignorance - can somebody explain to me how to call up the old "links/threads" to living in Cobh? As no doubt, a similar thread will appear in a few weeks time.

I LOVE living in Cobh. I'm not a local - I've travelled extensively and lived over-seas for a long time. My friends who visit from all over the world LOVE to visit Cobh. My work colleagues and Cork friends LOVE to visit Cobh. Who are these Cobh "haters"??? Where have they been, where have they lived, where do they live now that is so brilliant. I am so curious about the amazing suburban/rural/city locations that they all view as so incredible - compared to Cobh? Really - the slagging is getting ridiculous. Please tell me where are all these wonderful places in Cork that you all seem to live in???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've also lived in Cobh for ten years now, granted it does have it faults but it's nowhere near as bad as the picture painted by people sharing second hand experiences.

I've never seen a single junkie in Cobh BTW, and that's one of the reasons why I was happy to move here from Dublin. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Yes - that "junkie" comment got to me also? I live in the town centre - and worse I've seen are a few beered up "under 40's" and not residents but day trippers. Mind you I have seen the "junkie" elements in Cork City (north/south of river) and every other urban/suburban soul-less glamour spot that is known as Cork................ and that's during day light.

Was thinking of setting up thread titled "dilapidated Cork" - unfortunately, the thread would probably continue for years to come - such is the way of the world during a recession.

Der loss is all I can say and good luck to them tryna find a town dat is sooo perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Non resident but work in Cobh on a daily basis, and work with all walks of life there. Some lovely people, some sh*theads. Some gorgeous areas, some rough and nasty estates. No junkies that I know of, but plenty of the usual drunken layabouts hanging around the Rob Roy pub and Monument area. It's an area that I don't feel comfortable in day or night. Restaurants are not really up to scratch - the best one, Gilberts, is not a restaurant that is on a par with anything in Kinsale. I wouldn't live there, and that's a sad reflection on a town that has so much going for it on paper. It's got the location, the tourism and yet it falls short.

Well I work near d rob Roy and I think it's a very unfair comment u just made about it... Iv never seen drunken lay abouts outside der by day and by night all I see r a few out smoking having a chat amongst themselves ... As for been afraid to pass day and night then all I can say is I'd hate to c ya walk through d city at night ... Honestly talk about exaggeration like..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

TBH, the only difference between Cobh and many other small towns around Ireland is that it's more honest; what you see is what you get.

It's often the 'I would never..'s, people that aren't really qualified to speak having never actually lived there that work to perpetuate the myth of Cobh being a rough town. I have honestly never experienced or witnessed any of the acts often attributed to the place. Maybe it does just give a bad impression to visitors...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Well I work near d rob Roy and I think it's a very unfair comment u just made about it... Iv never seen drunken lay abouts outside der by day and by night all I see r a few out smoking having a chat amongst themselves ... As for been afraid to pass day and night then all I can say is I'd hate to c ya walk through d city at night ... Honestly talk about exaggeration like..

I walk through the city regularly at night. You expect it then. Not in a little town on a Tuesday afternoon (although it's more common on a Wednesday/Thursday as it's dole payment time). It's a bit knackary and I, personally speaking, don't like it.

Also, please use correct and full English when writing on Boards.

Sure let us know d next time ur down and we roll out d red carpet for ya ...

Jogathon wrote: »
    Non resident but work in Cobh on a daily basis, and work with all walks of life there. Some lovely people, some sh*theads. Some gorgeous areas, some rough and nasty estates. No junkies that I know of, but plenty of the usual drunken layabouts hanging around the Rob Roy pub and Monument area. It's an area that I don't feel comfortable in day or night. Restaurants are not really up to scratch - the best one, Gilberts, is not a restaurant that is on a par with anything in Kinsale. I wouldn't live there, and that's a sad reflection on a town that has so much going for it on paper. It's got the location, the tourism and yet it falls short.

Rob Roy is a very well run pub and I have never seen drunken layabouts at their door (plus I don't think it opens till 4pm most week days anyway)
    I think that if you are not comfortable in the area day or night you need to take a look at what you perceive to be a danger as its not like that at all.

Having worked in Kinsale I think there are some wonderful restaurants there but a lot of hype about some of them too. Kinsale is the gourmet capital of Ireland so probably not a fair comparison. The restaurants in Cobh are mostly well above average and are only getting better - Gilberts is a really nice restaurant as is Jacobs Ladder.
    What would stop you from living there? Just out of curiosity? Is it the locals - the house prices - the house choice - the amenities - the job prospects - the restaurants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sure let us know d next time ur down and we roll out d red carpet for ya ...

As a tourist town, I'd expect you'd have that carper out all the time. :pac:

• Advertisement

And btw giving Cobh a bad name is one thing but slandering certain businesses is not on .. Every shop restaurant pub etc in Cobh is struggling as is to survive and having outsiders like u nit picking certain ones and giving dem bad names isnt on ...

Advertisement