Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cobh a sh!t hole?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Went fishin there over a month ago and we were only there two mins and load of young lads came up with theyre track suits tucked into their socks and flaggin of cider and said here lads ya got a euro on ya
    I was like wtf they don't even do that in Dublin and then the night life was worse
    Scenery is lovely tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Went fishin there over a month ago and we were only there two mins and load of young lads came up with theyre track suits tucked into their socks and flaggin of cider and said here lads ya got a euro on ya
    I was like wtf they don't even do that in Dublin and then the night life was worse
    Scenery is lovely tho

Yeah, the fishing tends to draw the riff-raff. :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Scenery is lovely tho

try to make realistic comments and not just madey uppy things will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Rob Roy is a very well run pub and I have never seen drunken layabouts at their door (plus I don't think it opens till 4pm most week days anyway)
    I think that if you are not comfortable in the area day or night you need to take a look at what you perceive to be a danger as its not like that at all.

Having worked in Kinsale I think there are some wonderful restaurants there but a lot of hype about some of them too. Kinsale is the gourmet capital of Ireland so probably not a fair comparison. The restaurants in Cobh are mostly well above average and are only getting better - Gilberts is a really nice restaurant as is Jacobs Ladder.
    What would stop you from living there? Just out of curiosity? Is it the locals - the house prices - the house choice - the amenities - the job prospects - the restaurants?

Well, like I said, I work there so I see the social problems that are there. I have worked in various places in Cork City and County and there are social problems elsewhere obviously too. However, Cobh falls short in my expectations. It has fabulous scenery, nice housing stock, but it is left down by the fact that it is a bit rough. I wouldn't raise kids there, and it saddens me to say that. I feel that it has alot of social problems that other small, countryish towns do not have to the same extent. The sports clubs are well run and that is a plus. There are very few decent café's, Bramley Lodge is out of town. There's a newish one after opening recently but that's compared to about 10 lovely cafés in Kinsale. I don't live in Kinsale by the way but I think that Cobh should be competing with it as it has equal scenery and has a huge tourist draw.

Also, I wouldn't consider the restaurants in Cobh to be above average, I'd say more like average. And decent pub grub is non existant. The Elm Tree is nearest for great pub grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Why do so many people think Cobh is rough ?? Its not !!
    Nobody will bother you below in Cobh unless you bring it on yourself.

Cobh isn't a great town but its far better than Youghal or Kinsale anyday.

• Advertisement

Jogathon wrote: »
    Well, like I said, I work there so I see the social problems that are there. I have worked in various places in Cork City and County and there are social problems elsewhere obviously too. However, Cobh falls short in my expectations. It has fabulous scenery, nice housing stock, but it is left down by the fact that it is a bit rough. I wouldn't raise kids there, and it saddens me to say that. I feel that it has alot of social problems that other small, countryish towns do not have to the same extent. The sports clubs are well run and that is a plus. There are very few decent café's, Bramley Lodge is out of town. There's a newish one after opening recently but that's compared to about lovely café's in Kinsale. I don't live in Kinsale by the way but I think that Cobh should be competing with it as it has equal scenery and has a huge tourist draw.

Well I have worked and lived in the town for many many years and have been part of the bar trade in the town and can honestly say its no worse than anywhere else in the country. I have worked in Kinsale in the bar trade also so I can do a direct comparison. Everywhere has its loonies and dropouts
    Cobh certainly has its issues and a lot is down to the fact that it was left high and dry by industries pulling out of the town thus creating unemployment. The town is a far cry from what it was 25 years ago when gangs from Midleton and Carrigtwohill would come to fight locals in Cobh. There was also an element of day trippers from the city coming to go on the piss and create trouble and then there was the prison in Spike Island and all its dropouts that roamed around the town.
    I don't think I have seen an trouble on the town in well over a 3 years. Maybe I am not hanging around the right places to see these fights and rough crowd.
    The town is now a major tourist destination and has some really nice cafe's - have you tried many of them?
    BTW Cobh is not a countryish town - its a major urban town (2nd largest in Munster I think and in the top 15 countrywide) and is now a major satellite town of Cork city. Thus its going to have some element of trouble that any major inhabited area will have

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I would associate a few pubs with daytime drinkers/alcos. Rob Roy wouldn't be one of them. To be fair, the restaurants in Cobh are not as standout as some posters may imply - you will find better in Midleton or Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Well I have worked and lived in the town for many many years and have been part of the bar trade in the town and can honestly say its no worse than anywhere else in the country. I have worked in Kinsale in the bar trade also so I can do a direct comparison. Everywhere has its loonies and dropouts
    Cobh certainly has its issues and a lot is down to the fact that it was left high and dry by industries pulling out of the town thus creating unemployment. The town is a far cry from what it was 25 years ago when gangs from Midleton and Carrigtwohill would come to fight locals in Cobh. There was also an element of day trippers from the city coming to go on the piss and create trouble and then there was the prison in Spike Island and all its dropouts that roamed around the town.
    I don't think I have seen an trouble on the town in well over a 3 years. Maybe I am not hanging around the right places to see these fights and rough crowd.
    The town is now a major tourist destination and has some really nice cafe's - have you tried many of them?
    BTW Cobh is not a countryish town - its a major urban town (2nd largest in Munster I think and in the top 15 countrywide) and is now a major satellite town of Cork city. Thus its going to have some element of trouble that any major inhabited area will have

Have you any proof of that ??? :D Cobh is nowhere near Munster's three largest towns which are in order after the three cities of Cork, Limerick and Waterford, Tralee, Ennis and Clonmel.

I wouldn't raise kids there, and it saddens me to say that.
    I am raising kids there and I am very happy with the opportunities they will get in the town and the fact that there are lots of amenities right at my doorstep is great. I know people living in Glanmire, Carrigtwohill, Youghal, Fermoy and other areas and they have all commented on how easy it is to do things in the Cobh area with out having to travel in the car. I am not saying its the best in the world but it isn't half bad for things to do with your kids
    I would associate a few pubs with daytime drinkers/alcos. Rob Roy wouldn't be one of them. To be fair, the restaurants in Cobh are not as standout as some posters may imply - you will find better in Midleton or Cork.
    yes day time drinkers are in a few pubs - I can think of 2 main ones but thats the same the world over
    Restaurants are not world beaters but not to shabby at all and there is a decent choice across the board going from chippers to Chinese to Indian to Pub grub to proper sit down meals

charlemont wrote: »
    Have you any proof of that ??? :D Cobh is nowhere near Munster's three largest towns which are in order after the three cities of Cork, Limerick and Waterford, Tralee, Ennis and Clonmel.

Apologies its 6th largest in Munster and 2nd in Cork county

http://public.tableausoftware.com/shared/33HS4NHQK?:display_count=yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Scenery is lovely tho

try to make realistic comments and not just madey uppy things will ya
    What part of that did your under developed brain think was made up?

Apologies its 6th largest in Munster and 2nd in Cork county

http://public.tableausoftware.com/shared/33HS4NHQK?:display_count=yes

It might have town status but it's nowhere near as big as other towns who do not have official town status. Population wise it is far smaller than Carrigtwohill, Carrigaline to name a few.

It might have town status but it's nowhere near as big as other towns who do not have official town status. Population wise it is far smaller than Carrigtwohill, Carrigaline to name a few.

Carrigaline yes Carrigtwohill your joking right?

Carrigaline yes Carrigtwohill your joking right?

I wasn't? But I will stand corrected! I don't know what the population of Carrig is but it always struck me as having many large housing estates.

Carrigtwohill probably something between 1000 and 2000

Only other town larger is Carrigaline according to CSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TIMEisMONEY

I wouldnt move to Cobh unless you really really needed to.

I spent 2 years there,and i didn't find it a great place to live.It has everything you would expect from a town of its size,and it has some scenic areas.

Its not the worse place to live,but there are a few other areas closer by that i would rather call home.

I didnt enjoy the nightlife at all,but its not TO far from Cork city so thats always an option.

Carriagaline is over the water and a commute might not be to bad,a much nicer town i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Carrigtwohill probably something between 1000 and 2000

Carrigtwohill is the fastest growing village/town in Munster,its population now 4,551.

http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011-reveals-irelands-fastest-growing-towns-and-counties-430278-Apr2012/

Populations from 2011 Census
    Cobh - 11,303
    Youghal - 6,785
    Midleton - 10,048
    Carrigaline - 12,835

Yes Carrigtwohill has had a big jump in population but it's still just a village. Nice spot to live in and easy access to anywhere in the area.
    There are some lovely places within 30 mins of the city but I don't understand the bad press some posters are giving to Cobh.
    Some of the stuff is just hearsay and downright incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Kenny_K75 wrote: »
    The level of ignorance displayed on this thread is the reason the country is in the mess its in.
    No it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Too true that is such a silly remark.. What is displayed on this thread is peoples opinions which is what was asked for not ignorance..And mmm as for the Country being in the mess it is in now well does anyone really want to start that one, it would need a whole website of its own

"
    Originally Posted by Kenny_K75 viewpost.gif
    The level of ignorance displayed on this thread is the reason the country is in the mess its in."

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Well, as I said several pages back - I love living in Cobh. I love looking out my window on a beautiful sunny day and watching yachts sail by, cruise ships in the harbour, then strolling down the town and sitting on the waterfront drinking coffee and chatting to tourists and locals alike. Walking along the promenade or sitting in the park by the bandstand with book in hand.

The local supermarkets, dry cleaners, cafes are staffed by very friendly people, faces become familiar and chats become longer. I've never felt scared in any of the Squares by day or by night.

The amount of visitors to the town whether off cruise ships or on hols in general, day trips is astounding. There are queues to enter the Titanic Experience, The Heritage Centre, lining up for harbour trips to Spike Island, following Michael Martin and his Group on the walking tour, Cobh is a harbour town with an amazing heritage. Hearing the Cathedral Bells ringing every 15 minutes, that catchy little "tune" is comforting.

When it comes to "nothing to do at night" - where was everyone a few weeks ago when "The Fun Loving Criminals" did an impromptu set at The Commodore after the Cuskinny Island Jam? In fact, I don't remember seeing any "Boutique" Concerts lined up for Carrigaline/Douglas/Glanmire/ City Centre ..... but we had the likes of The Walls, Jack L, FLC, playing on the island. The staging, sound, backdrop was just amazing. Cobh has the Sirius Art Centre for smaller gigs with great touring names. And there's Music played regularly in a lot of the pubs.

The concerts on The Promenade during Titanic Week were incredible, just hearing Cara O'Sullivan's voice echoing through the town was beautiful, so atmospheric.

I don't feel bored living in Cobh - how could one? And it is a 20 min drive to Cork City Centre for bigger events/theatres etc. (same amount of time it would take from most other suburban towns). Or from Cobh head East - great smaller venues around the place like The Ballymaloe Grainstore for gigs/theatre, Pat Shortt's Pub - great line up tomorrow night, got my ticket booked.

I think these "young 'uns" who find Cobh as a base boring with nothing to do - they're more bored by life than bored by Cobh..................

Milly33 wrote: »
    What is displayed on this thread is peoples opinions which is what was asked for not ignorance..

Some opinions seem to be a little tainted and there is a hint of a vendetta against Cobh and all this seems to raise its head in Boards.ie every now and then
    remarks like
    'scanger infested hell hole'
    'feck all to do unless you drive'
    'sh*thole'
    'Night life can be very rough'
    'coming across junkies'

are all over the top and are frankly not true

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

And that's why we "locals" new and old are on the defensive when it comes to our home town being slagged off. I never read those "phrases" when describing other residential/rural/suburban areas. And I'll say no more on this (I hope) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

are all over the top and are frankly not true

TBH, there is more truth than one may think, Cobh is a town of divides, or compartmental isolation, I see this [also] borne out by some 'Cobhites' in this thread.

I don't think there is any need to requote the offending phrases, there is IMO evidence that the overall population of Cobh is changing for the better and indeed an overall community spirit emerging.

My own history with Cobh can be traced back to the 1840's in Ballymore, my father is directly from Cobh and I have family and in-laws still living there, Cobh is huge.

I'll most likely be there over the weekend of the 17th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Feel like I shouldn’t feed ye but here goes anyway

As a resident of Cobh I feel I have to give it its fair share of praise to counter the few negative comments here. Maybe I am biased but I have lived in other towns and they all have their pros and cons. I fell Cobh has many more Pros than cons

For a start lets clear a few things up

There is no bus service to Cobh – train only and its a pretty good service (only thing is that there is no late night trains after 10.30 or 11)

There is lots to do (see list below) and driving is not required (unless you are lazy)

second hand info is never the best - try the town for yourself

The town had a bad name for being rough years ago. This was not helped by the fact that it is a port town that would get bad press for the odd scrape between sailors and townies but that element has long since gone and the town now is as rough as any town of comparable size – probably less rough than many places.

flower pots with weeds - It was April – not many flowers growing at that time of year in Ireland. Come and have a look now as there are flowers everywhere (too many in some places!)

Shabby Building fascias - Ireland and recession – not much you can do about that really (Tidy Towns group are painting lots of unused buildings out of their own pocket)

Discount Euro shops everywhere - There is 1 discount store in the town

No half decent supermarket anywhere nearby - There is a large Centra in the town centre and there is an Aldi, Lidl, Supervalu in a business park 3 mins from the town centre and also a large Londis at the other end of the town

A long journey to the city center - 25 mins by car or train is not a long journey

Night life can be very rough - Night life can be as rough as you make it. There are many bars and restaurants that can make for a great night out but if you want to fight then you can go around the town looking for a fight and I am sure get in to one. There is a night club in the town that is well policed but its like anywhere else – there will always be an element of trouble makers

a buddy who lived quite close to the railway station (Back east and up the hill) - Your buddy obviously is not living near the train station as trains don’t tend to go up hill and the station is on the west of the town.

Short list of things to do

Sports clubs – rugby, football, GAA, hockey, Tennis, athletics, triathlon, cycling, swimming, sailing clubs, rowing clubs
    Other clubs – photography, cinema club, walking, writing, drama, historical society.

Swimming pool and gym, sailing and water sports, one of the best tennis clubs in the country, scenic walks, historic sites, Tours and walks, harbour trips etc. and good youth clubs and a great brand new community centre

There are many very good restaurants and some really nice pubs in the town there is also a lot of history attached to the town with a museum, Heritage centre and Titanic Experience exhibition and many interesting people in the town too. There is lots to do if you are not lazy and are willing to get involved. The choice of schools is good and crèche facilities and kids playgrounds etc are good too
    Cobh has its negatives too, there is no money in the town council and they struggle sometimes. The recession has closed many shops and businesses. Parking can be a nightmare and the town lacks a cinema or things for teenagers to do but there are other things to do if you go out and try

All in all it is not a bad place to live but that’s my view

Good on you defending your town. I live in Douglas and walking through the local park the other day one of the benches was burnt to bits, someone decided to light a fire under one for the laugh (they are not wooden - but recycled plastic) so the mess and the smell was atrocious. Unfortunately, there are too many scumbags in this country, who obviously haven't a brain cell between them, every town in Ireland has them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

Jesus ... can't believe I got infracted for this thread! Fecking ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I know people who are happy living there and people who don't like living there. I guess perceptions are perceptions - but depending on what factors I wonder. Age might be one. Certainly someone who just visited the place for a few hours, especially at night, isn't really qualified to sum the place up accurately. My impression of it is it's a nice town, but I have heard a disproportionate number of stories about trouble there - from people who live there.

Advertisement