Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please

Options
  • 30-07-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there
    I have googled the following but still haven't got a proper answer.
    Can you please tell me the standing charges for a standard meter and also a day /night meter.
    We currently have a standard meter in the house we have moved into and after a call to ESB services today they have told me the rate for the standard meter is cheaper but didnt tell me by how much!
    Also if you can please clarify if we wish to change this that there is no cost involved to change to the other system?
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi melucy,

There are two different standing charge rates for nightsaver customers, depending on whether they fall into the rural or urban category. I'll list the different possible standing charges (incl. VAT 13.5%) just to make it as clear as possible:
    • Urban Standard: 32.83c per day
    • Urban Nightsaver: 45.08c per day
    • Rural Standard: 43.77c per day
    • Rural Nightsaver: 57.06c per day
    For further details, including the unit rates, visit this page and click on the 'More details' section beneath any of our priceplans.

There is no cost involved in switching to a dual tariff/nightsaver meter, but there is a charge if you change back to the standard 24hr tariff (see here). Bear in mind that the nightsaver tariff is only beneficial if you use at least 24% of your total usage within the designated night-rate hours. That would equate to using about 3 to 4 units per night, where you have average annual usage of approx. 5,300 kWhs. (If you're not sure what would use up that amount of units, our Appliance Calculator may be of help. See also the following section on our website: 'What is one unit?').

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 melucy

Thanks David.
    To be honest it will probably save us some money to change it. We have a small baby and the washing machine is on a lot by night as is the dryer due to the lovely summer we are having.
    I just need to get our landlord to call in to confirm its ok then?
    Can you give me an idea of a timeframe as to how long we would have to wait for the meter to be changed?
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Melucy,

Usually it's 48 working hours for a standard change-over.

Having storage heaters installed would take longer though, because submission of a wiring certificate is required from the customer.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement