Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use these brackets?

• 30-07-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I bought these panel brackets here - with a view of using them to secure a trellis panel to a wooden fence panel. However, how they look in the pic is deceiving. When I got them, the 'screw' part of the bracket is 'fat'. I tried to screw them into the wooden post - but that proved to be an impossibility.

Am i missing a trick here? Do I need to drill out first - and then try and screw in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't understand what you mean by 'fat'. Why don't just drill the trellis and screw it straight to fence without brackets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Don't understand what you mean by 'fat'.
    Exactly that! There may be threading on them - but there is no way in hell they can be screwed in to a timber post - not manually or with a powered screwdriver.
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    Why don't just drill the trellis and screw it straight to fence without brackets?
    There is little or anything to drill through - these are cheap delicate panels like this.They meet the posts at each end. i.e. those horizontal slats are not up against the posts for them to be secured against the post directly.

I guess I can drill out holes in the timber posts - provided they are smaller than the diameter of the screws - and then try again to screw them into the post....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

3-4mm drill bit.
    Drill through trellis frame itself and then into timber post.

45mm x 4.5mm stainless steel scrrew straight through bracket,trellis and timber post.

Simple as that and Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

paddy147 wrote: »
    3-4mm drill bit....
    Simple as that and Job done.
    Yes it was as simple as that. Don't feel too smart for having to ask that question but at the same time, glad that I did!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yes it was as simple as that. Don't feel too smart for having to ask that question but at the same time, glad that I did!

:)

"Theres no such thing as a stupid question...........only stupid answers".

• Advertisement
Advertisement