Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to go out on your own in Dublin

Options
  • 30-07-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

What pubs and clubs are good to go out to on your own in Dublin?

I'm finding that my friends are not as available as they used to be due to having girlfriends, busy during the week etc so I have started to go out on my own.

I can normally get someone to go out with on a Sat night but every other night i tend to be on my own sitting in and bored.

So where is goood to go on your own for a drink, say on a wed/thurs/fri night? Somewhere that you would feel comfortable enough to talk to people, not a quiet old man's pub nor a loud obnoxious club

Id be grateful if someone could recommend some places

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I usually go to Bruxelles off Grafton Street or The Porterhouse on Nassau Street when my mates aren't free to go out or whatever,always end up talking to someone.Actually tend to have much more success with women when I'm drinking solo believe it or not!

The Dark Horse on Georges Quay beside the Garda Immigration place and The Hairy Lemon on Stephen Street are good spots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Coppers will get you some company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Lotts Cafe seems to be ok to sit at the bar, and have a chat with whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

My mates and I were actually talking about going out on your own in Dublin a few weeks ago, we didn't realise one of the lads does it now and again, think he goes to anywhere that's busy and if he isn't liking it just leaves after one. Do a lot of people do it? Is it more a weekend thing or midweek?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squirestarter

Thanks for the suggestions, will try some of these places.

Apart from Coppers though, not really somewhere id be comfortable on my own tbh. And at 31 i'm prob a bit past going there!

I find that its a bit easier when theres a band playing in a bar to just stroll in and sit down. I always feel a bit self conscious for the first while in a pub as if people think you're strange for being in a place on your own. I normally get over that after a pint or two though

I dont know if many people go out on their own but most places ive been i seem to be the only one!

I know someone who goes to 'aul lad' bars, reads the paper and watches horse racing but thats really not my scene at all. Much prefer a bit of life and somewhere with women!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

How about the Mezz in Temple Bar? On Eustace Street, opposite the IFI.
    I sometimes go there alone (usually after my friends head home early and I fancy another drink!).

They have live bands playing every night (and it's free in), so you can just hang out in front of the stage and watch the band without feeling awkward sitting alone, and I always end up chatting to people in no time.

Crowd is a good mix, lots of friendly foreigners and locals, (and local foreigners!), and the bands are usually pretty good – anything from blues, acoustic rock, reggae or jazz depending on the night.

It's kind of a dive bar (in a good way!) - so mightn't be to everyone's taste but I find it a great place to go alone.

Advertisement