Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing of Kilkenny players at Limerick QSHF

Options
  • 30-07-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Congrats to the lads yesterday on their win against a strong up and coming Limerick side.
    I know we had to head to the "lions den" of Munster hurling in thurles, but the booing of Kilkenny players by Limerick supporters, and more especially(clearly MAJOR chip on their shoulder "fans") Cork and Waterford fans was a little bit sickening to tell the truth.
    I know that when a team is on top like Kilkenny for so long people naturally side with the under dog but this is something kinda new to GAA and is a little hard to stomach.
    Also, don't get me started on RTE anti-Kilkenny bias ala that Mulcahy (Cork) guy. He nearly had an organism when Limerick scored or looked like pulling away. And if KK were awarded a free it was invariably "soft". The man is a joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wetfish

mfitzy wrote: »
    Also, don't get me started on RTE anti-Kilkenny bias ala that Mulcahy (Cork) guy. He nearly had an organism when Limerick scored or looked like pulling away. And if KK were awarded a free it was invariably "soft". The man is a joke.

I thought his single mindedness was a bit off alright. A right bug that fella! :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

What I don't understand is why GAA fans still align along and defend boundaries set down centuries ago by a foreign monarchy.
    Considering the political history of the GAA it makes no sense to me why they keep perpetuating the feudal territorial demarcations rather than promoting their sport as a community activity without boundaries.
    Do kilkenny GAA fans ever consider this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

catbear wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why GAA fans still align along and defend boundaries set down centuries ago by a foreign monarchy.
    Considering the political history of the GAA it makes no sense to me why they keep perpetuating the feudal territorial demarcations rather than promoting their sport as a community activity without boundaries.

bit of a conversation killer that ......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catbear wrote: »

So what your saying is that us modern day people should not define ourselves by boundaries when it comes to our geographically local team playing a another team that lives far away?

Interesting, may I ask since your so against these boundaries that were set down over centuries, if Ireland is playing England do you support Ireland?

because by your logic we shouldn't limit ourselves to boundaries and we should just support everyone, hell why even have teams? It only creates problems ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Cabaal wrote: »
    So what your saying is that us modern day people should not define ourselves by boundaries when it comes to our geographically local team playing a another team that lives far away?

Interesting, may I ask since your so against these boundaries that were set down over centuries, if Ireland is playing England do you support Ireland?

because by your logic we shouldn't limit ourselves to boundaries and we should just support everyone, hell why even have teams? It only creates problems :)

personally I always cheer for Brazil, best team best fans best jersey.

interesting how this thread is shaping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This is starting to go stupidly off-topic.

Back on topic >> I brought this point up in the match thread also. From what I could see, there was a group of about 20-30 Limerick supporters in the Town End terrace who consistently booed and jeered every KK free in the 1st half. The booing and jeering from these particular Limerick 'fans' was far worse than any booing/jeering that took place in the Cork-Waterford match.

For the majority of hurling championship matches, there is usually very little booing and jeering when frees are being taken in my opinion (you might only hear it when a contentious free has been awarded).
    I dunno, maybe those Limerick 'fans' were drunk and got carried away with things. It's hard to know.

I don't think there were many Cork/Waterford fans sitting near me who were booing/jeering when KK were taking frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

I was at the match in the old stand, can't say that I noticed anything out of the ordinary myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Booooooo Kilkenny UP Waterford :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yeah! Hurling woo!...............*closes tab*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Begrudgers. Ireland is full of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Yeah! Hurling woo!...............*closes tab*
    Why open the tab? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Mo14 wrote: »
    Why open the tab? :confused:

Because I'm obnoxious and have nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I was sitting two rows in front of a woman who spent the whole game giving out about the Kilkenny players. Everything they did was wrong, or should be done better.

She gave out to the players twice in the first minute of the game. That pattern continued for the whole thing. At one stage she started giving out to Shefflin just before he was taking a free I think. That was probably the worst.

It was just a non-stop barrage of negative comments. She hardly said a good thing at all.

I'd gladly listen to Tomás Mulcahy or those fans booing over her any day. She was a sickening dose. Oh and that's ignoring the fact that she hadn't a clue what she was on about, and I guess she probably has never set foot on a hurling pitch in her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Just in opposition fans refuse to cheer for rival team.

Like anything else in life if they paid there ticket just like you did it means they get voice there displeasure. Considering the game used to be tribal and people used to die I consider booing harmless

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Arawn wrote: »
    Just in opposition fans refuse to cheer for rival team.

Ah now in fairness nobody expects them to cheer but booing of any team at any event is very bad form and not something anyone really wants to see at any sporting event.

Could you image the Olympic swimming events last night if when Michael Phelps came out everyone started booing him because he had won so many events in the past?

Anyone that boo's is pretty pathetic, regardless of the sport imho

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was sitting two rows in front of a woman who spent the whole game giving out about the Kilkenny players. Everything they did was wrong, or should be done better.

She gave out to the players twice in the first minute of the game. That pattern continued for the whole thing. At one stage she started giving out to Shefflin just before he was taking a free I think. That was probably the worst.

It was just a non-stop barrage of negative comments. She hardly said a good thing at all.

I'd gladly listen to Tomás Mulcahy or those fans booing over her any day. She was a sickening dose. Oh and that's ignoring the fact that she hadn't a clue what she was on about, and I guess she probably has never set foot on a hurling pitch in her life.

Exactly the kind of bitterness and begrudgery Kilkenny players and supporters have had to endure for years. These sad people revel in Kilkenny's defeat much more so than they would celebrate their own counties success (if that ever occurs, of course ;):D). That's what I can't understand. There are people out there that get more of a kick out of Kilkenny loosing than their own team winning or performing.
    Not that it matters, but where do you reckon this "lady" was from?

And I would say from the other side I had to endure some embarassing rubbish from fellow KK fans playing Dublin last year in the Leinster final. Dublin had beaten KK in the League Final and needed "to be thought a lesson". Apparently.

Exactly the kind of bitterness and begrudgery Kilkenny players and supporters have had to endure for years. These sad people revel in Kilkenny's defeat much more so than they would celebrate their own counties success (if that ever occurs, of course ;):D). That's what I can't understand. There are people out there that get more of a kick out of Kilkenny loosing than their own team winning or performing.

And I would say from the other side I had to endure some embarassing rubbish from fellow KK fans playing Dublin last year in the Leinster final. Dublin had beaten KK in the League Final and needed "to be thought a lesson". Apparently.

Sorry just re read your post; if she was so critical of KK players she was from Kilkenny ?? In that case I take it all back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sorry just re read your post; if she was so critical of KK players she was from Kilkenny ?? In that case I take it all back :p

Oh yea I forgot to mention that. She was from Kilkenny, which made it far worse if you ask me. I don't mind the odd bit of effing and awing when a player does something wrong but to be constantly berating your own team for the whole 70 minutes takes some nerve.

She had a 15 year old with her as well. If that was the way my mother carried on when I was 15 then I'd be pulling a sickie before every match. She was a disgrace to be honest.

Oh yea I forgot to mention that. She was from Kilkenny, which made it far worse if you ask me. I don't mind the odd bit of effing and awing when a player does something wrong but to be constantly berating your own team for the whole 70 minutes takes some nerve.

She had a 15 year old with her as well. If that was the way my mother carried on when I was 15 then I'd be pulling a sickie before every match. She was a disgrace to be honest.

Seen that a bit too from KK supporters (mainly men though). It's crazy, these ameteur players are not paid and give countless hours for our entertainment. And they get savaged if they have an off-day or season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The only booing I heard was from that small group of Limerick fans in the Town End terrace. I was central enough in the new stand and there was no booing. If a Kilkenny player missed a chance or Limerick defended well, then yeah you can be sure everyone cheered but that's hardly surprising. People will always go for the scrappy underdog, especially so when those people are from Waterford and Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement