Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTTB/Off Track Thoroughbreds as Riding Horses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

So excited for you Valentina, great news that you clicked.

I'm going to ride a 'too slow' ptp gelding tomorrow. He hasn't been reschooled tho so not sure what to expect. He last raced in March and has been pretty much turned out since then. :eek:

So... tomorrow could be er...fun.

I'll post about him tomorrow. I really liked the look of him so fingers crossed I like him and he likes me. :)

I feel like a kid again, getting all excited over horses.

Hi guys,

Rode the TB today. I was pleasantly surprised. He was very biddable and has lovely paces.

He threw a few tiny bucks but nothing dangerous, just exuberance I think... I hope. :)

He has no idea about canter aids and god knows what he'll be like over a pole. So lots of work to do. He's pretty green.

He has a sweet nature and is playful. Seems attached to his owner/trainer. He has a good look around when he hears her voice and wants to go talk to her. So that's nice sign.

Going for another ride tomorrow and a jolly around the gallops. Riding in a racing saddle is more comfortable than expected.

So another thumbs up for the OTTBs from me for now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

One thing I would say is that they have no problem vetting a horse for sale even if it only makes the reserve (in Tatts its €800)

The racehorse to riding horse category in the showing is excellent, lovely to see great looking horses turned around for a second chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My vet found 2 sarcoids near the horse's sheath and has advised against buying him. So disappointed. Back to square one for me. :(

Valentina wrote: »
    My vet found 2 sarcoids near the horse's sheath and has advised against buying him. So disappointed. Back to square one for me. :(

So sorry to hear that! It's disheartening.

Had a pop around the gallops with my potential guy today and he was great fun, all go for the first few mins then took it easy.

When I went to ride him he was flat out asleep in his stable, he's a pretty chilled out dude! Snoring away.

I'm praying my guy doesn't have any. I think he's clear but has a few facial blemishes which do look suspicious. Going to get a vet to check him out next week.

What can be done about sarcoids? How do you know if a horse might develop them in the future or is it something they are born with? Are they common to TBs?:confused:

• Advertisement

Heydeldel wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that! It's disheartening.

Had a pop around the gallops with my potential guy today and he was great fun, all go for the first few mins then took it easy.

When I went to ride him he was flat out asleep in his stable, he's a pretty chilled out dude! Snoring away.

I'm praying my guy doesn't have any. I think he's clear but has a few facial blemishes which do look suspicious. Going to get a vet to check him out next week.

What can be done about sarcoids? How do you know if a horse might develop them in the future or is it something they are born with? Are they common to TBs?:confused:

Your guy sounds great. I hope things work out for you :)

My vet said there are around 50 different treatments for sarcoids, some are effective, some not. There's no way of knowing if a healthy horse will develop them in the future and they can effect any breed/gender/age. My guy was 5 and had already had 2 the vet thought the chance of them being a problem later on was significant. Benign ones can become malignant if they are interfered with and they can spread very quickly. My vet said I could take a chance and buy him and may never have any trouble with sarcoids again but as it's a pre-existing condition my insurance wouldn't cover any treatments for it. I'm so disappointed and disheartened. :(

Thanks!

Keep looking, this obv wasn't meant to be. The right horse will come to you! It's a big investment both financially and time wise so prob best to er on the side of caution. But I understand the disappointment.

My guy almost seems too good to be true, trying not to get my hopes up in case something niggley turns up. You just never know!

I did ask the owner today about sarcoids actually, funnily enough. Some one warned me about them. Owner said no, but I need to have a good look myself tomorrow. I did a quick cheak but in the stable and it was dark.

Thanks for flagging this, I'll do a good examination of him tomorrow.

It's a wonder the owner of yours didn't think to tell you.

As regards insurance, the horse I like is going very cheap. I presume it goes by the value of the horse and maybe tack etc? Do you choose your own value to insure for or how does that work?

Thanks!

Keep looking, this obv wasn't meant to be. The right horse will come to you! It's a big investment both financially and time wise so prob best to er on the side of caution. But I understand the disappointment.

My guy almost seems too good to be true, trying not to get my hopes up in case something niggley turns up. You just never know!

I did ask the owner today about sarcoids actually, funnily enough. Some one warned me about them. Owner said no, but I need to have a good look myself tomorrow. I did a quick cheak but in the stable and it was dark.

Thanks for flagging this, I'll do a good examination of him tomorrow.

It's a wonder the owner of yours didn't think to tell you.

As regards insurance, the horse I like is going very cheap. I presume it goes by the value of the horse and maybe tack etc? Do you choose your own value to insure for or how does that work?

I think they workout the insurance based on the value of the horse. Some take the breed into consideration so a TB or ISH would be dearer than your average riding horse.

My home insurance covers my tack so check your policies. No need to have it covered twice :)

well, got bucked off into a pile of nettles today!

He got a bit petulant when I asked him to move away from his friend on the gallops. Hopefully a new environment and routine will put a stop to that.

Also noticed some lumps and bumps around the sheath area so took some photos so show a very knowledgeable friend.

Oh dear... my search may have to continue also.

So the jury is out on this mystery lump. The owner doesn't think it's a sarcoid and a friend I showed is unsure also.

I want to take the horse for two weeks and give him a good chance, plus can have a vet check him over.

Any tips for settling him into a new routine and yard? He''s lived and worked where he was bred and broken so this is only his second home in 6 years. He's not fond of being alone as I experienced so I'll put him out with another and hack him in company for the first while.

I have a soft spot for him and think he'll learn very quickly, even in a few days his longing was much improved and he listened very well.Oh dear.... I've gotten attached to him already. I have a soft spot for the underdogs.

So again to any one who has taken on a OTTB, advice and do's and don't are welcome.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

So the jury is out on this mystery lump. The owner doesn't think it's a sarcoid and a friend I showed is unsure also.

I want to take the horse for two weeks and give him a good chance, plus can have a vet check him over.

Any tips for settling him into a new routine and yard? He''s lived and worked where he was bred and broken so this is only his second home in 6 years. He's not fond of being alone as I experienced so I'll put him out with another and hack him in company for the first while.

I have a soft spot for him and think he'll learn very quickly, even in a few days his longing was much improved and he listened very well.Oh dear.... I've gotten attached to him already. I have a soft spot for the underdogs.

So again to any one who has taken on a OTTB, advice and do's and don't are welcome.

Cheers.

Hopefully the lump isn't anything serious.

Try find out what kind of routine he's in at the moment and stick to that as much as you can. Whenever a new horse comes to our yard they're generally kept stabled or in a field alone (next to one with horses if possible) for a day or two to settle in with lots of handling, grooming and treats to help them along. Then after a day or so bring them out and "introduce" them to everyone and allow them to get their bearings. You'll know when he's settled in enough to start backing him and really trying him out. I hope it works out well for you :)

Thanks Valentina, I have a vet come out in the next day or two to assess him before I take him for a wee trail. No point in getting my hopes up until I know the ins and outs of him.

Your advice is great, the yard I'll have in him is very well run and small so plenty of turn out beside the others and stabled where he can see the goings on and get used to things.

So I'll just have to wait and see now. I'm keeping a few other horses in the back of my mind to go see if this guy doesn't work out. Don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

Hope your search finds a happy end soon. :)

This is worse than buying a car! :pac:

Mystery lump is more than likely an umbilical hernia. Interesting. There's always something to learn with horses!

So will trail the horse and if I think he's worth keeping will have the vet decide a course of action.

Excited again!

Pesky lumps. At least I now know about sarcoids and hernias.

Now, he better behave himself....

Mystery lump is more than likely an umbilical hernia. Interesting. There's always something to learn with horses!

So will trail the horse and if I think he's worth keeping will have the vet decide a course of action.

Excited again!

Pesky lumps. At least I now know about sarcoids and hernias.

Now, he better behave himself....

When are you bringing him up to your yard? It's just so exciting, getting a new baby! :D:D

I haven't seen any more TBs for me but earlier this week I met with a pregnant woman who is looking to loan/sell her ISH mare so I'm going for a second viewing tomorrow. So I wanted a gelding but looks like I'll be getting another mare now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

When are you bringing him up to your yard? It's just so exciting, getting a new baby! :D:D

I haven't seen any more TBs for me but earlier this week I met with a pregnant woman who is looking to loan/sell her ISH mare so I'm going for a second viewing tomorrow. So I wanted a gelding but looks like I'll be getting another mare now :pac:

That's great news, :) Mares are so much more fun than geldings, more personality at times..lol :)

talullah wrote: »
    That's great news, :) Mares are so much more fun than geldings, more personality at times..lol :)

Thanks! I'm excited about her but don't want to get my hopes too high just in case...

Yeah my own little mare is a loads of fun, so cheeky! But she's a heart of gold underneath it all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Thanks! I'm excited about her but don't want to get my hopes too high just in case...

Yeah my own little mare is a loads of fun, so cheeky! But she's a heart of gold underneath it all. :)

This made me smile. I was told a longtime ago .

You can Tell a Gelding
    You Work with a Stallion
    But You can only Ask a Mare, but if she says Yes you will never get better.

I have found it to be so true.

Decided not to take him in the end. the umbilical hernia put me off, it could lead to colic/ may need to be removed. I have to be sensible and buy a problem free horse and not inherit a problem the owner should have dealt with.

Oooh, exciting! An ISH would be lovely! :)

Going to ride a TB a friend of mine broke tomorrow. He was broken as a regular riding horse and not a racer. She's a lovely rider too so looking forward to having a sit. The horse is pretty green though. I'll try not get bucked off this one :o

The TB's have captured my imagination...

The Race Horse to Riding Horse show at the RDS was great! The poor judge had to ride 18 horses, phew! The group canter was very civilized!

Great to see the old favorites in the Parade too.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd update. I've taken a ISH on loan for a couple of months. Decided against an OTTB for the moment. My work situation is a bit up in the air so no point taking committing until I'm more secure.

Good luck to anyone taking one on.

I have heard of another nice TB retired from racing.... I might go have a sit for the experience. They really do get under your skin!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Just thought I'd update. I've taken a ISH on loan for a couple of months. Decided against an OTTB for the moment. My work situation is a bit up in the air so no point taking committing until I'm more secure.

Good luck to anyone taking one on.

I have heard of another nice TB retired from racing.... I might go have a sit for the experience. They really do get under your skin!

I've done pretty much the same. The right OTTB just never came around for me so I'm currently trialling a lovely ISH mare while her owner is pregnant. The horse is super and more TB than anything so she is a bit mad :P but I'm having great fun with her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Esroh wrote: »
    This made me smile. I was told a longtime ago .

You can Tell a Gelding
    You Work with a Stallion
    But You can only Ask a Mare, but if she says Yes you will never get better.

I have found it to be so true.

Love this Esroh!! Its so true, I have a mare and a gelding at the moment, have had the mare since long before I bought the gelding and if she hadnt taught me to ask, I'd never have been able to tell the gelding!!!

Just skimmed through this thread, definitely BEWARE someone who advises against a vetting; the horse may be cheap but the vet bills wont.

I personally am not a fan of TBs, I had an exracer myself who was too small to race and she was a NIGHTMARE. Lovely to handle on the ground, but utterly unpredictable when ridden. Back tack teeth etc were fine, it was simply her mentality. I gave up on her when after a week of her going fantastically schooling wise she suddenly took off in canter at top speed and there was NO stopping her; had to do an "emergency dismount" in the corner of the arena at high speed. She had been out hacking and for a few good canters outside so it wasnt high spirits, it was like something from her past training suddenly kicked in - she lengthened out and it was like sitting on top of a rocket train.

Also past experience from friends who have had TBs has shown me firsthand how many injuries they are susceptible to; I suppose the fact that they are worked from such a young age is going to have an effect on their development/robustness in later years.

Personally I prefer something with a bit of thoroughbred in them; my mare is a sport horse and out of a racing mare but the bit of draft means she has the stamina/energy/eagerness of a TB but with a level head on her. That said, a friend's mare (TB) is one of the most laid back animals I have ever had the pleasure to meet. She is 3/4 bred and was most likely point to pointed but she has been suffering from various problems for the last few years and is constantly in and out of work. Endless vet bills, physios, chiropractors and heartache.

Also for XC/hunting Id be inclined to look for something a bit sturdier. Ive seen TBs out competing when Ive been doing XC etc and my stomach flips when I see those little legs going into deep mud/over solid obstacles.. I feel more confident on something with a bit of bone. As for stamina, both my mare and my gelding (who is a Dutch Warmblood Connemara X) are both very forward and will have you hurtling through a course from start to finish.

Good to see people's positive views on TBs, I dont want to be one of these "no TBs ever" people, but I'm just grounding it on what I've experienced myself!! Best of luck in finding the right horse for you :D

I've done pretty much the same. The right OTTB just never came around for me so I'm currently trialling a lovely ISH mare while her owner is pregnant. The horse is super and more TB than anything so she is a bit mad :P but I'm having great fun with her :)

Same really, I think an OTTB is a summer project. There's no way I'd manage re-training during the winter. I'm tired enough after work as it is!

Waiting to get my mare shod and then we'll be out and about. Can't wait to go hacking and have lessons etc.

Best of luck with the ISH. Loans are a great!

Advertisement